PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a tablet for a remote 2nd screen?

TeiscoDelRay
July 18th, 2015, 02:09
I am half way interested in trying a tablet for viewing gps or other in FSX and really don't know anything about what type to get, the software or how to hook up the wifi.

Anyone here using one successfully?

Hdguy
July 18th, 2015, 03:14
I am half way interested in trying a tablet for viewing gps or other in FSX and really don't know anything about what type to get, the software or how to hook up the wifi.

Anyone here using one successfully?
A cheaper alternative would just be to purchase a cheap LCD monitor...

TeiscoDelRay
July 18th, 2015, 03:25
Thanks but I don't sit at a desk and I am about 5 feet from my pc so I need a wireless tablet connection.

swimeye
July 18th, 2015, 05:23
Yes I am using an app that gives me a moving map. It is not the same as using the tablet as a second screen but it is a great way of keeping the map out of the main screen. Here is the link to the app in itunes store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fswidgets-igmap/id379872511?mt=8

jschall
July 18th, 2015, 07:11
On Android, I have been using FlightMap:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrs.flightmap

Now you just have to choose between Apple and Android, which shouldn't take much thought :-)

roger-wilco-66
July 18th, 2015, 09:29
[....]

Now you just have to choose between Apple and Android, which shouldn't take much thought :-)

Off to grab bowl of popcorn and a beer :-)

Naismith
July 18th, 2015, 10:26
Hang on - just realised the grandkids have had my tablet away. Darned Candy Crush. :biggrin-new:

txnetcop
July 18th, 2015, 11:06
Off to grab bowl of popcorn and a beer :-)

Think I'll join ya...this could get interesting

TeiscoDelRay
July 18th, 2015, 14:31
I now see that some of the high tech virtual airliners have a way to put the FMS ,or whatever that black magic device is, on a wireless Ipad.

manfredc3
July 18th, 2015, 16:14
I use an app to have the PMDG 737NGX CDU on my Andriod tablet. Works like a charm, and could no longer do without it.

Maj Kong
July 19th, 2015, 05:12
I use a tablet with a little app called "Radio Stack". The touch pad makes it super easy to tune all radios, transponder, plus set heading, altitude, raise/lower gear or flaps...couple of others I think (my tablet is not with me).
There are several other good apps, mostly free, for getting complete airport information (includes current wx). Lot of power for a little 10" Android.
Hope this helps.
Btw....I still use a 2nd monitor for ASN, OPUS, LINDA.

Now....Where is that popcorn?:biggrin-new:

vortex
July 20th, 2015, 01:41
For iOS, take a look at the RemoteFlight apps. They do 3 - Radio HD, Map HD and Cockpit HD. THE Radio app, IMHO, is better than the Radio Stack app (and cheaper). They all operate wirelessly without any noticeable lag through a small program loaded onto your PC. If you want something much more sophisticated then look at AirTrack - http://www.ipobjects.com/airtrack/ataglance.