PDA

View Full Version : No more fried food in the USN chow halls...

Navy Chief
July 17th, 2015, 10:57
Yet another reason I am glad I retired years ago.

No more fried foods in USN chow halls/mess decks. They are "going green".

The reaction from the sailors, is understandably not favorable. The off base fast food restaurants will surely benefit from this idiotic decision. :banghead: NC

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/17/navy-bans-fried-food-sailors/

p3aewguy
July 17th, 2015, 11:24
Michelle's School Lunch program joins the Navy!

Can't wait to see her version of MRE's!

Navy Chief
July 17th, 2015, 11:26
Michelle's School Lunch program joins the Navy!

Can't wait to see her version of MRE's!

Most likely things like dehydrated fruit, and powdered soy milk. Oh yummy....:encouragement: NC

rdaniell
July 17th, 2015, 11:59
...I was in the Air Force but, I imagine its chow halls can't be too far behind. The Air Force has already done away with clubs (Airman's, NCO's, and Officer's ) on base. Can you imagine not being able to have somewhere to go on base and share a couple drinks with your buddies. Me either.

RD

fnkybnch
July 17th, 2015, 13:59
WHAT?!?!
:dizzy:

No more sliders? What's our Navy coming to? Next they'll say no more gedunk!

Thanks, NC!

Mark
(2nd generation Navy)

Navy Chief
July 17th, 2015, 16:19
I guess they won't be serving "bug juice" on deployments anymore either. I mean, after all, all that sugar would not be good, eh? They will have to spend more money and provide real fruit juice!

Yeah, right. No more cakes, donuts, or any other types of fattening pastries of course.

Our Navy will be SO healthy! And the retention rate will be higher than ever! NC

joe bob
July 17th, 2015, 17:24
Even 30 years ago the club was not the place to really unwind, I can't imagine what it is like now but I imagine it would be similar to one of the "mandatory fun" squadron get togethers, there is lots more to do outside now, who would want to pay dues.
With the push to keep a fit military and dealing with alcohol abuse it is rather hypocritical to officially serve both.
I would find it difficult to serve in today's military but I am sure some old timer was saying the same about us.
The end product still seems to get the job done and that is what matters.

Navy Chief
July 17th, 2015, 19:29
Even 30 years ago the club was not the place to really unwind, I can't imagine what it is like now but I imagine it would be similar to one of the "mandatory fun" squadron get togethers, there is lots more to do outside now, who would want to pay dues.
With the push to keep a fit military and dealing with alcohol abuse it is rather hypocritical to officially serve both.
I would find it difficult to serve in today's military but I am sure some old timer was saying the same about us.
The end product still seems to get the job done and that is what matters.

I agree with a lot of your points, but the retention rate is dropping, and the morale is at serious low levels already. Things like this may seem minor, but not when combined with so many other changes. It's just crazy. Political correctness is ruining so many aspects of military life. NC

joe bob
July 18th, 2015, 01:28
As I said Chief, I don't think I could deal with it.
I don't see how they retain as many as they do now, what with the brutal deployment schedule these guys have these days.
No matter how good the wife is, you have to know it is going to have a negative effect on the kids eventually.
That alone would have me climbing the walls

Mickey D
July 18th, 2015, 02:53
I agree with a lot of your points, but the retention rate is dropping, and the morale is at serious low levels already. Things like this may seem minor, but not when combined with so many other changes. It's just crazy. Political correctness is ruining so many aspects of military life. NC

Only military life NC?

Navy Chief
July 18th, 2015, 12:18
Only military life NC?

Well, no, but that's what I started the thread about! Political correctness is infecting all aspects of life here in the U.S. Not meant to be a "political" statement. I mean, it is a fact! NC

Panther_99FS
July 24th, 2015, 20:18
The Air Force has already done away with clubs (Airman's, NCO's, and Officer's ) on base.
RD

The clubs are still around. The difference that they're not supported by Non-Appropriated Funds anymore - meaning pretty much that they must generate a profit like other civilian businesses...

Navy Chief
July 25th, 2015, 05:07
Yep. I think the CPO club (actually a lounge) is only open one day a week, for a few hours, onboard NAS Pensacola. I remember when it was constantly busy, every day. Sad.

Panther_99FS
July 25th, 2015, 09:57
Yep. I think the CPO club (actually a lounge) is only open one day a week, for a few hours, onboard NAS Pensacola. I remember when it was constantly busy, every day. Sad.

The military member stopped supporting them & chose to go to off base establishments instead...

Navy Chief
July 25th, 2015, 11:41
The military member stopped supporting them & chose to go to off base establishments instead...

Well, there's that, but another reason for their decline was DUIs on base. The base cops would lay in wait, next to the club and watch people coming out. Just the threat of being stopped was a big reason for many not to even go.

NC