PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 question

Navy Chief
July 16th, 2015, 12:55
I have not been able to sign up for the upgrade to Windows 10, but apparently there IS a update available for me to do so.

But I read something about the changes that accompany Win 10, including no more Windows Media Center (which I don't use anyway), and removes the ability to burn DVDs? THAT, I would not like!

Any info on this? Thanks. NC

gradyhappyg
July 16th, 2015, 14:32
Have not heard that. But I quit using most of the windows programs for media anyway I use freeware VLC for most watching and ImgBurn for burning got them here: http://www.filehippo.com/software/dvd/
You could give them a try or try some of the other options there before you switch over. Personally a bit hesitant to switch over to 10 I'm signed up but still, it ain't broke so do I want to fix it?

Ickie
July 16th, 2015, 14:36
I understand if you don't like it ...winders 10.... you can hit "REMOVE" and bingo it is gone.

Ickie
July 16th, 2015, 14:39
down by your clock see pic to get win 10

gradyhappyg
July 16th, 2015, 14:47
I understand if you don't like it ...winders 10.... you can hit "REMOVE" and bingo it is gone.

I still think I'm going to wait until more tech savvy and braver folks give it a try before I switch if I switch. My luck not only would 10 be gone but so would everything else. I just had to do an OS reinstall a few months ago due to my HD going out the thought of having to do that again doesn't make me smile.

Navy Chief
July 16th, 2015, 16:16
From what I gather, windows 10 will still be free for a year after its release,mother end of this month. I am going to wait and see what happens after it is out, and people start finding flaws. NC

zswobbie1
July 16th, 2015, 22:25
The RTM version is out & reports have been excellent.
Remember, it will be a constantly updated OS, so, any problems will be sorted out very quickly with the usual updates.
Yup, free to eligible users for the first 12 months. Always free updates during this period & after.

Not having Media Center is really not a problem. I use Aimp for my audio playback, & Gom Player for video.

Navy Chief
July 17th, 2015, 05:43
From what I gather, windows 10 will still be free for a year after its release,mother end of this month. I am going to wait and see what happens after it is out, and people start finding flaws. NC

"near the", not "mother"......geesh, stupid autocorrect.:banghead: NC

Navy Chief
July 17th, 2015, 05:45
The RTM version is out & reports have been excellent.
Remember, it will be a constantly updated OS, so, any problems will be sorted out very quickly with the usual updates.
Yup, free to eligible users for the first 12 months. Always free updates during this period & after.

Not having Media Center is really not a problem. I use Aimp for my audio playback, & Gom Player for video.

I am concerned, however, if it is true that I won't be able to burn DVDs with Windows 10?

Terry
July 17th, 2015, 05:57
I am concerned, however, if it is true that I won't be able to burn DVDs with Windows 10?

It's true. Here are alternatives. I can't determine so far if any of these alternatives will do all the functions Media Player did.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-alternatives-windows-media-center-windows-10/

n4gix
July 17th, 2015, 08:12
down by your clock see pic to get win 10

Odd that none of my four Win7 machines have the Win10 icon displayed! :dizzy:

Naismith
July 17th, 2015, 14:20
I use Aimp for my audio playback, & Gom Player for video.

Wow, I have just retired WinAmp now I have learned about Aimp. Thanks for the info.

Dumonceau
July 18th, 2015, 23:15
Odd that none of my four Win7 machines have the Win10 icon displayed! :dizzy:

That is normal if you run Windows 7 Professional or Enterprise.

Johan

n4gix
July 19th, 2015, 08:00
Oh yes, of course! <*facepalm*> :173go1: