PDA

View Full Version : Hit by bomb in mid air?

dasuto247
July 14th, 2015, 21:18
I was flying my Lae/Salamaua VF 42 mission just moments ago, enjoying instead of being a test flight looking for glaring issues etc. After downing an enemy float plane, it left me about 3,000 feet below TBD's making level bomb run.I leveled off and began to climb, I noticed they were above and slightly behind as I was climbing, I could hear the whining sound of bombs falling, suddenly few seconds later INSTANT DEATH.The scene just showed a fireball in sky like when collide with another plane BUT it had the bomb crater left on the ground after impact, but in the middle of the air lol.Taking it I was hit by an aerial bomb? No planes were close enough for a collision, plus the bomb scar. What are the odds? Anyone had this happen?

wolfi
July 14th, 2015, 22:45
LOL, I think that’s happened not very often! I just like to suggest, don’t fly below bombing bombers.:pop4:

wolfi

glh
July 15th, 2015, 05:22
Don't fly under planes dropping torpedoes or in front of planes firing rockets or shooting machine guns, either.

hewman100
July 16th, 2015, 10:57
Not had it happen in game but there are quite a few photos online of aircraft that have experienced this.

Fibber
July 16th, 2015, 15:09
are you referring to that sad photo of the bomber drifting under another doing its bomb release? That sad plane lost its wing and I think most of the crew due to centrifical force causing a ride in. That is why first strike (lead flight) were scheduled low and later flights were laddered up in the formation.

Wayland
July 16th, 2015, 16:23
That still is from a clip of a bomb run in New Guinea (IIRC). There is also another clip of a B-17 losing a horizontal stab over Germany, it's clear enough that you can see the offending 500-pounder tumbling off to the side.

Steve

hewman100
July 16th, 2015, 23:52
I was thinking more of those where the aircraft had been hit and returned.
The concentration of the night bomber stream made this inevitable, and it's unknown how many Bomber Command losses can be attributed to this.

Two Halifaxes as examples:
http://www.578squadron.org.uk/squadron/bomb.html
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205090435