PDA

View Full Version : Unused textures in sceneries

Bjoern
July 12th, 2015, 10:41
With a secound round of apology to Randy. I can't - and won't - discuss FSX-related questions in private. Now everyone can google this problem and read along here.

Maybe you can answer this question for me: When FSX first opens an add-on scenery, I think I understand that it looks at all the textures in the texture folder and only loads the ones that are used in that particular add-on. If that's how it works, then it shouldn't matter if there are unused textures in the folder? Am I correct?

The reason I would like to know this is that in the process of updating, making changes to scenery objects, or removing some of them in some of my personal add-ons, my texture folder continues to grow with each revision. If the extra unused textures are ignored then I can forget about them. If not, then I probably need to do some house cleaning of the folder.

But before I attempt to do that, I have to wonder if removing these unused textures will substantially change my FPS. It would be great if someone has developed a program that will take a look at the texture folder and compare it to each object bgl to determine which textures are used. And then simply delete the unused textures.

Yes, you are correct. FSX only uses what it needs.

Finding out which textures are needed for a particular scenery (object) can be a bit of a chore though. If you have a library type bgl, you can open it in MCX and note each texture that is referenced by the each material in the material editor. You need to do this for every object in each library file you're using in the scenery.

Or you remove all textures from the scenery's "texture" folder, then add some parameters to the fsx.cfg and restart FSX. It should alert you about what textures are missing.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Missing_textures#Identifying

None of this is a one-stop solution but each of these gets the job done.

rdaniell
July 12th, 2015, 11:01
Thank You...:untroubled:

RD

Lane Street
July 12th, 2015, 11:29
If you have a library type bgl, you can open it in MCX and note each texture that is referenced by the each material in the material editor. You need to do this for every object in each library file you're using in the scenery.

There is an easier way.

Load the library .bgl in MCX and generate an object report...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25109&stc=1

This will take a second or 50 and create an HTML file that will have a texture list for the entire library.

Much easier than doing it object by object, especially when multiple objects use the same textures.

cheers,
Lane

Bjoern
July 12th, 2015, 12:52
There is an easier way.

Load the library .bgl in MCX and generate an object report...

This will take a second or 50 and create an HTML file that will have a texture list for the entire library.

Much easier than doing it object by object, especially when multiple objects use the same textures.

Learn something new every day! Thanks!

roger-wilco-66
July 12th, 2015, 17:37
I do that with bglscan that comes with the SDK. It is a very good tool for error checking and sorting out unused textures, expecially if you have hundreds of them in your project.

Cheers,
Mark