PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Object Question?

rdaniell
July 11th, 2015, 11:55
Do any of you'll here at the Outhouse know if there is an old fire truck like the attached photo available anywhere? I would like to have something from around the late 1940s to early 1950s. Unfortunately my SketkUp modeling abilities are not progressed to the point :pop4: that I can make it myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

RD

Shylock
July 11th, 2015, 17:03
Is there a 3D model of is on the sketchup site? If so if its in KMZ format you can convert it to MDL

rdaniell
July 11th, 2015, 19:46
Is there a 3D model of is on the sketchup site? If so if its in KMZ format you can convert it to MDL

Yes. I found one and converted it to a bgl file. It looks fairly close to my earlier attachment.
RD

Update: I placed this in FSX. It is way too detailed of a model. It is a really big frame rate hog. Really slows down fps with just one installed.
So, my original question remains open. Anybody know of a FSX scenery object like this?

RD

ian elliot
July 11th, 2015, 22:15
Ive been playing around with ModelConverterX, there's much about the program thats still a mystery to me, but i am converting FS9 mdl's over to FSX Bgls with some success, and much improved frame rates.
If you try the program out yourself, import your mdl or bgl , and use the export scenery function to save your object as a FSX BGL file, that seems to work for me, although others may have a different way,

a lot of what ive been playing with is for personnal use only, make sure you check any read-me's or the original designers conditions if you intend uploading anywhere,

i must check out the scetchup site myself.

cheers ian

rdaniell
July 11th, 2015, 22:43
Ive been playing around with ModelConverterX, there's much about the program thats still a mystery to me, but i am converting FS9 mdl's over to FSX Bgls with some success, and much improved frame rates. If you try the program out yourself, import your mdl or bgl , and use the export scenery function to save your object as a FSX BGL file, that seems to work for me, although others may have a different way, a lot of what ive been playing with is for personnal use only, make sure you check any read-me's or the original designers conditions if you intend uploading anywhere, i must check out the scetchup site myself. cheers ian

Ian, I am only looking for something to use myself; not, for uploading. The SketchUp Warehouse has lots and lots of objects but most cannot be modified. A lot of the objects are so complicated that you cannot convert them to bgls using MCX. Sometimes there may be some components on something that you can copy and use on your own design, however.

I can make decent looking buildings but, so far, I have not been able to make anything resembling a vehicle of any kind.

RD

Bjoern
July 12th, 2015, 02:21
You can convert Sketchup objects just fine with MCX, the key is trying to cut them down to more reasonable amounts of drawcalls and polygons using the optimization tools. This requires a bit of trial and error in order to find out what will work best.
But as far as your firetruck is concerned, it's a hopeless cause. I could cut it down to 13 drawcalls and 28000 vertices at the cost of a few horrendous glitches. Not worth the effort.

Ask the Calclassic people. Maybe they've got a model from the time period you're after.

rdaniell
July 12th, 2015, 02:46
.... But as far as your firetruck is concerned, it's a hopeless cause. I could cut it down to 13 drawcalls and 28000 vertices at the cost of a few horrendous glitches. Not worth the effort. Ask the Calclassic people. Maybe they've got a model from the time period you're after.

He, He! :biggrin-new:A hopeless cause:banghead: for a hopeless old man!:biggrin-new:

I'll check with :running: Calclassic.

RD