July 9th, 2015, 10:45
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/9/8919091/ibm-7nm-transistor-processor

Things are going to get very interesting in the near future

IBM and AMD??

thanks but not thanks! :D

Johan

heywooood
July 9th, 2015, 12:23
so you didn't read the article...GlobalFoundries spun off from AMD in 2006 and co-developed the new chips in partnership with IBM along with Samsung
and the SUNY Polytechnical Institute...

folks - this new development essentially doubles the capability of the current CPU technology
it represents a quantum leap

if you want a 12GHz processor you will need a 7nm based design

Intel is working on a 10nm chip architecture right now...they are miles behind now
(current CPU's are at 14nm for reference)

bazzar
July 9th, 2015, 14:32
IBM and AMD??

thanks but not thanks! :D

Johan

bahhh humbug!!! man will never fly....:playful:

Anything that can make things easier and more pleasant for developers and customers is more than welcome. Bring it on, let's have a look.

Lane Street
July 9th, 2015, 15:32
if you want a 12GHz processor you will need a 7nm based design

I did read the article and didn't see any mention of clock speed.

The i Core CPUs have come down from 45nm to 14nm without any appreciable increase in clock speed, why should we expect a huge increase in the 7nm architecture?

Heat is heat and until they can come up with a better way to handle it we will not see speeds anywhere near 12GHz.

The primary reason for the switch to multi-core processors was the inability to economically increase clock speed due to heat.

cheers,
Lane

heywooood
July 9th, 2015, 17:47
So adding multi-core increased processor speed without the heat penalty of
higher clock speed... Unless you would rather have a single core processor..
What I was so poorly trying to convey is that the new chips will
double the capability of each core... So in time - speeds in excess
of 8Ghz (speeds mind you- without the need to actually run at 8ghz)
is now both more likely and more likely to come sooner rather than later
sorry I used hyperbole and made you type stuff

stansdds
July 10th, 2015, 01:52
Regardless of whether you like AMD and IBM or not, if they are successful it will be serious competition for Intel. This is the sort of thing that really promotes competition and out of that competition comes better products for all of us.

heywooood
July 10th, 2015, 05:05
Exactly - see this article about just that
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/ibm-seven-nanometer-chip/

Bjoern
July 10th, 2015, 10:25
I just hope that AMD can up their game with these since the CPU market really needs a shakeup.

StormILM
July 10th, 2015, 11:01
Regardless of whether you like AMD and IBM or not, if they are successful it will be serious competition for Intel. This is the sort of thing that really promotes competition and out of that competition comes better products for all of us.

I feel the same, I'm more or less an old die-hard for Intel Chip Sets but if this pushes the market towards more power & heat efficient CPU's (as well as the eventual benefit for GPU's) without the headache, cost, & accelerated wear of OCing, then I'm all for it. It's a win-win matter, especially for this small industry.

napamule
July 10th, 2015, 20:07
12 Ghz? Mute point as you couldn't afford it. I couldn't. Even if I could, I would have to wait a year before the non-beta drivers came out for my hardware (MB, GPU, etc). So talk is cheap. Reality sucks.
Chuck

heywooood
July 10th, 2015, 21:50
12 Ghz? Mute point as you couldn't afford it. I couldn't. Even if I could, I would have to wait a year before the non-beta drivers came out for my hardware (MB, GPU, etc). So talk is cheap. Reality sucks.
Chuck
Again...sorry my hyperbole made you type stuff - and it's not
so much reality that sucks, as pessimism