PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on MegaSceneryEarth states?

ST0RM
July 8th, 2015, 07:38
Posted this here, but it's for my P3D/ORBX Global install.

Since living in Oklahoma, I've noticed a lot of landmarks missing in Global. Rivers, roads, etc... And Global says it's compatible with other tiles, etc...

Has anyone tried these sceneries? If so, what is your opinion?

I'd really like to see if Falcon Range is replicated, just West of Cache
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6555257,-98.6998023,4843m/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

wellis
July 8th, 2015, 08:24
Posted this here, but it's for my P3D/ORBX Global install.

Since living in Oklahoma, I've noticed a lot of landmarks missing in Global. Rivers, roads, etc... And Global says it's compatible with other tiles, etc...

Has anyone tried these sceneries? If so, what is your opinion?

I'd really like to see if Falcon Range is replicated, just West of Cache
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6555257,-98.6998023,4843m/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

I have New Mexico, my original home state, along with FTX Global, Vector and a host of their other products (running in hybrid mode) and it seems to be working nicely with some exceptions. Those being some of the smaller airports: for example, default buildings will sometimes vanish once you get close the airport or after landing. I have not yet figured out where or why this happens, mostly because I am inexpert in many aspects of scenery creation and structure. I have figured out a simple work around for Las Cruces and do not have any issues with Albuquerque and several others. In any case there my be something very simple I am missing (appreciate any shout out advice myself on that note). In the meantime I otherwise really enjoy flying over it as the ground statewide is faithfully replicated - you will see all the land within the state as it was when the satellite imagery was taken. I would guess that while Falcon Range would be obvious in the imagery, there are likely not any of the other features (buildings, etc) as I have not seen anything other than the basics in the New Mexico. The other thing I really enjoy about the product provides a great base to work from. With my rudimentary scenery-creating skills I have been slowly adding autogen and my own renditions of of the various airports I used to fly in and out of. And you could do that for Falcon Range. Each state state consists of a very large set of files so they are drive space hogs.

odourboy
July 8th, 2015, 09:10
'Compatible' with Global... well I guess that's technically correct, but in general, photo scenery covers Global base scenery textures, autogen scenery (buildings and trees) and vector lighting and 3D lighting. Unless specifically built in to the photo scenery (which is not the case with MSE2 as opposed to say, Ultimate VFR), without scenery add-ons, you're looking at a 'flat' world where it gets really dark at night. OTOH, Mesh is not hidden by photo scenery and I believe at least some aspects of Vector data.

I have several MSE states. They generally look good from higher altitudes (say above 3000 ft) and where the terrain is mountainous. Deserts look pretty good too. I have Washington, Oregon and Hawaii, which are nice - although some say over-saturated. New York state is kind of poor IMHO. So, I think it's a bit hit and miss.

MSE goes on sale all the time, regularly 40% off and sometimes 50% off.

Before you spend, you should try some freeware/donationware. Blue Sky scenery is quite nice and worth a try to see if you like it.

falcon409
July 8th, 2015, 09:20
In general terms as someone who has moved from nothing but Military Fighters to almost all GA, I don't care for it much. My biggest objection is the most obvious, most scenery of this type looks good to great at altitudes above a few thousand feet but lower than that and it might as well be a moonscape. Very little if any autogen, although some companies have tried to add a bit to spruce it up for low level flyers. In their defense it would be a daunting task to hand apply autogen to every single tile so it isn't surprising that they don't.

So if you don't care about not seeing anything when you land then it's ok. . .otherwise I view it as much ado about nothing.

ST0RM
July 8th, 2015, 10:35
Thank you all for the answers. I think I'll pass on it, as it sounds like it wont meet my expectations.

Now If I could learn to develop my own sceneries, I'd make my own range ;)

-Jeff

BrittMac
July 8th, 2015, 19:18
Well, I'm not an authority on what is "great" scenery. But, I bought Alabama and Georgia. I most often fly these areas (live in AL). I can say that, even if you are used to an area from the ground, you can identify things from the air from as low as 500ft or so.

One thing that is odd is that the color changes a bit. Maybe a bit more yellow or "earth" tones? You will also see variations on airports. Especially if the runway was lengthened. So, you will see some runway scenery sticking out farther than the FSX runway is modeled. It is odd to look at, but, not a big deal really.

Plus, PCaviator has pretty good sales on that scenery on a regular basis, so you aren't out too much if you don't like it.

paiken
July 8th, 2015, 19:48
Now If I could learn to develop my own sceneries, I'd make my own range ;)

-Jeff

Therein lies the madness! You'll obsess, you'll cry, you'll tear your hair out!