PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else been following this ?

fsxar177
July 7th, 2015, 16:49
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1232710074/flyinside-fsx/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

FlyInside Kickstarter (http://kck.st/1NsoBos)

Pretty interesting!

- Joseph

Hdguy
July 7th, 2015, 17:10
Intresting. I want that!

Paul Domingue
July 7th, 2015, 18:07
I would love to have this but (the big but) I have the feeling that it will be cost prohibitive for me not only in the cost for the VR system, also in the cost of providing a computer system to accommodate the VR. One can only dream.

Lane Street
July 7th, 2015, 19:03
Looks great until you want to tune a radio or turn some lights on.

cheers,
Lane

SkippyBing
July 7th, 2015, 23:15
So like the free plug-in that's already available?
I've played with an Occulus headset and P3D at a friend's house and it really is a much better experience. It's not too hard switching things on if you've got a vague memory of how the keyboard is laid out and plenty of switches on your joystick. I even managed to tune radios in the vc to practice an ILS in Dino's T-45 and F-14.
The only downside is the low resolution on the development model and the lack of peripheral vision so it's a bit like wearing nvg googles or looking down two toilet roll tubes! But it makes any sort of vfr flying feel totally natural. Makes hovering a damn site easier too!!

Naismith
July 7th, 2015, 23:44
Cannot be any worse or ridiculous than TrackIR. Early days but I'm sure development will overcome all the above concerns in time.

Dutcheeseblend
July 8th, 2015, 02:09
Funny to see! Would be great to have!

I was thinking about something the like, a few days ago. A friend of me has Google Cardboard and that's a very nice experience. Cheap, too.

vortex
July 8th, 2015, 05:28
Cannot be any worse or ridiculous than TrackIR.

For you, maybe, but I'm sure that many, many TrackIR and FaceTrackNoIR users would take issue with this. On the original topic, is that half-screen image all that you see through Oculus? Seems like a very narrow field of view if it is. With the amount of keyboard shortcuts available, even if you could get them all mapped onto joystick/throttle switches, you'd have a hard time remembering which was which. I have the most commonly used functions on my controls and leave the rest on the keyboard - not an option with any of the VR headsets currently in development. Also, having a moving map or switch panel on my tablet would not be an option. Why not have the bottom of the display open slightly so that you can look down at the keyboard or a second display?

sketchy
July 8th, 2015, 06:50
I am a huge Kickstarter fan, and of course a flight sim fan, but in all honesty I fail to see what this chap is even offering.

I have had an Oculus Rift DK2 SDK kit for over 6 months now and to be honest I love it, it has been a total game changer for FlightSim for me. I am using it with P3DV2.5 however all of the features he describes are already freely available, my credit card will be staying in my pocket with this one.

I would not have chosen FSX as a platform for this especially when Lockheed Martin are providing full support to Oculus Development moving forward.

Yes the resolution is not as good as it could be right now, and yes the peripheral vision is not amazing (but far from terrible) but my Track IR has not made it out since I have had this, and when the 4K screen version comes out.... then it will be WOW! I was considering a second graphics card and a third screen, but this in my honest opinion a much better option but from an experience and price point of view.

Shame as I was waiting for the guy show something really cool to incorporate with the Oculus and FS.... perhaps like this....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lq0P1CNk8

Now that chair..... that is what I would help fund on a Kickstarter...!! Just need to convince the wife to let me have it in the living room now!

Cheers

Sketchy

vortex
July 8th, 2015, 07:46
I have had an Oculus Rift DK2 SDK kit for over 6 months now and to be honest I love it, it has been a total game changer for FlightSim for me...

Cheers

Sketchy

Sketchy, the Oculus Rift site states for DK2 "In addition to the minimum spec it is recommended that your dedicated graphics card be capable of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher." I have a good graphics card but this would be unachievable for me with add-ons in FSX. Do you really need those frame rates?

ryanbatc
July 8th, 2015, 08:17
What is the video showing? I wasn't able to watch with sound lol...

I already use Track IR but frankly it's tough on my eyes... turning my head and keeping my eyeballs in the same location stresses them. At least with this equipment you can turn your head and your eyes move.

SkippyBing
July 8th, 2015, 08:22
For you, maybe, but I'm sure that many, many TrackIR and FaceTrackNoIR users would take issue with this. On the original topic, is that half-screen image all that you see through Oculus? Seems like a very narrow field of view if it is. With the amount of keyboard shortcuts available, even if you could get them all mapped onto joystick/throttle switches, you'd have a hard time remembering which was which. I have the most commonly used functions on my controls and leave the rest on the keyboard - not an option with any of the VR headsets currently in development. Also, having a moving map or switch panel on my tablet would not be an option. Why not have the bottom of the display open slightly so that you can look down at the keyboard or a second display?

The image on the screen isn't really that good a representation if it's anything like the freely available plug-in. Certainly in the aircraft I've flown with it you get more or less the same field of view as with a single wide-screen monitor on a 0.3 zoom setting, ie the minimum you can set in cockpit to see as much as possible. I also found you can see out the bottom enough to double check key presses, although that varies by how you fit the googles.
I definitely think it's more natural than the trackir options where you move your head one way and your eyes the other so you can still see the screen. But that may be because I was taught to see by moving my head not my eyes and really don't get on with trackir.

Bjoern
July 8th, 2015, 09:52
Like Skippy, I never got warm with a TrackIR type device. My own build, however, suffered from the low FPS of the cheap webcam that I ran it with and produced only choppy head movement in the simulator. With a device with proper sensitivity, you'd need to set a fairly huge dead zone and/or keep your head perfectly still if you want to click a cockpit switch, lest the mouse pointer slips off the clickspot.
Oculus seems to avoid this, but you have the requirement of wearing the device on your head, which might become tiring after some time.

One of the possible solutions for this would be hybrid composed of a sim chair with a rotating monitor mount (think tank turret). To control the rotation, you could implement a fixed, pressure sensitive head rest that is adjusted to your head motion. Lean your head against the headrest and turn it left and the pressure pattern on the headrest would send a signal to the electric motor which would make the monitor mount turn to the left et vice versa. Combined with a face tracking sensor to control longitudinal and lateral movement and pitch and bank of the eyepoint, this would largely alleviate the drawbacks of a TIR and Oculus type device. One issue with this, however, is making the lag between input and reaction of the monitor mount as low as possible. Also, the mount would be limited to regular monitor sizes, i.e. up to 30 inches as larger monitors would require stronger and more expensive electric motors. Cable management is another issue as the monitor cables would need to be fairly long to support the swiveling motion.
Just an idea.

heywooood
July 8th, 2015, 09:53
Personally - I would never strap that much crap to my face for any reason....well maybe ocean diving or snorkeling.

then again I'm probably more of a casual flight simmer I guess.

Give me me a decent monitor and I'm good to go - I like to know what's going on around me even when I fly a desk

@Bjoern - thought about it much....?
seems like a lot of hardware to make your plan 'fly' not that it doesn't sound cool

Naismith
July 8th, 2015, 11:02

I am a TrackIR user, ridiculous of course it is, how about answering the knock at the front door and forgetting to take it off, the neighbour now worries about me. :biggrin-new:

Bjoern
July 8th, 2015, 11:43
@Bjoern - thought about it much....?
seems like a lot of hardware to make your plan 'fly' not that it doesn't sound cool

Lit a cigarette, took two drags and had the idea.

If you can afford one of those weird sim chairs, I guess the extra quid for the monitor mount won't really matter.

vortex
July 8th, 2015, 15:03
I am a TrackIR user, ridiculous of course it is, how about answering the knock at the front door and forgetting to take it off, the neighbour now worries about me. :biggrin-new:

Ah... Now I understand!

sketchy
July 8th, 2015, 16:50
Sketchy, the Oculus Rift site states for DK2 "In addition to the minimum spec it is recommended that your dedicated graphics card be capable of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher." I have a good graphics card but this would be unachievable for me with add-ons in FSX. Do you really need those frame rates?

Hi Vortex,

Not at all mate, I have a good graphics card, but nothing crazy, I'll post the specs later.