PDA

View Full Version : OT; Finished the 'Last Exile' series.....

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 19:51
Hey guys,

Well, David and Tim and some others got me into a series called 'Last Exile'. Turned me into a FREAK for anything to do about Last Exile, including some intriquing 'planes'? (ships, vehicles) called 'Vanships'. They look like a mix between a Dusenberg car body without fenders, a Junkers German corrugated fuselage skin, and make the sounds of a Mitsubishi Zero and a Star Wars speeder.

I cant tell you how cool I have found this series to be. I will be looking to buy it on Ebay. (Already watching some now). I watched the entire series on YouTube.com though and finally figured out how the series works. They record/upload them in 3's per each 'Episode'. Thus one episode is 3 pieces, and there are 26 Episodes total. Each Episode is roughly 30 min's.

The adventure takes place off world and is totally alien. I cannot begin to explain how everything works, so I'll leave others to fill that in if they want to chime in. Its wild.. Sort of like a future of flying vehicles and ships on another world that looks something like Sweden with people that use a font like Greek and a technology based on Claudia fuel (powder) and magnetic lift engine systems that can lift things from small craft to aircraft carriers.

The goal of the movie! Sweet Freedom.........

I highly recommend it.

:ernae: :guinness: :ernae:

Piglet
October 7th, 2008, 01:32
Great series!
Now ya gotta watch Area 88, Laputa- Castle in the Sky, and As soon as it comes out, or I can find it, Sky Crawlers.
Sky Crawlers looks right out of Crimson Skies....

Bruce Thompson
October 7th, 2008, 01:56
Does this remind you of anything?

empeck
October 7th, 2008, 02:26
I'd like to make an FSX version of Savoia S-21 sailplane from Porco Rosso some day...

CodyValkyrie
October 7th, 2008, 05:58
Bill watching Anime? Welcome to the club. I catch the occasional anime shows..... And it might be cliche, but you need to watch Cowboy Bebop.

Bjoern
October 7th, 2008, 08:35
I have nothing against wickedness, but this is just a bit too much over the top for my taste.

I prefer, well, semi-realistic stuff like Sky Captain (excellent movie!) or Iron Grip (http://www.isotx.com/index.php?view=1620) - a wild mix of human history thrown into one universe (see artworks).

SkippyBing
October 7th, 2008, 09:16
Cowboy Bebop rocks! Area-88 is great if you're into aircraft, so err everyone on this site then! I've just realised I bought the DVD of the first 3 episodes of Last Exile but never got round to watching it (I buy a lot of DVDs to watch when I'm deployed) I may have to rectify that tonight!

Lionheart
October 7th, 2008, 11:04
Cowboy Bebop is brilliant! Watched as many as I could when they were on cable late at night. Havent seen one in ages. That little onboard fighter looks pretty radical.

Great series!
Now ya gotta watch Area 88, Laputa- Castle in the Sky, and As soon as it comes out, or I can find it, Sky Crawlers.
Sky Crawlers looks right out of Crimson Skies....

Tim

I'll keep an eye out for them. Next on the list.

Bill

Lionheart
October 7th, 2008, 21:46
I would have to say that this is my fave episode, although many are emmediately right behind it. I mainly like this one for the dogfight sequence with the star-fish fighters.

This episode is in 3 segments because of the time issue. Together, its about 30 min's. Figure about 10 min's each roughly.

The first part of segment one of Episode 7 is parts from the previous episode. A star-fish fighter was shot down to save a little girl named Al or Alvin (dont ask). The Guild are attacking the carrier ship Slyvannah (spelling might be wrong) in a retaliation for the downed star-fish fighter. Claus and Lavie (key actors) have also gone to the Sylvannah (already), having gone there to see little Al (young girl) who they feel responsible to look after and protect.

The dogfight with Dio is great. Dio is the one in the star-fish fighter that comes after Claus, whom Dio has nicknamed 'Emmelmann' as he uses the manuver superbly in dog fighting.

xIUuJF8ms0s

flQAritZZxI

OH9BEFGmqsE

Daube
October 8th, 2008, 03:38
Area-88 ? I've never heared about his one, thanks for the info ! :)
And I confirm that Laputa- Castle in the Sky is definitely one of the greatest movies (anime) made by Miyazaki.
Funny thing about this movie is that you will immediately notice the link with the "Sherlock Holmes" series: era, design, animations etc... even if the characters in the serie are animals (Sherlock is a fox), you can find correspondences beteween them and the characters from the movie :mixedsmi: