PDA

View Full Version : Another AI question...

Duckie
July 3rd, 2015, 09:16
Not wanting to intrude on Hdguy's thread, I have a silly AI question.

What does X use for AI aircraft and Where/How do I gain access to them?

I want to create specific small/medium GA traffic files for a few small GA airfields near me and I'm having a heck of a time finding native X AI of the sort to use. I have downloaded the very few that I have found but it's a paltry few.

Any suggestions?

Thanks--

Terry
July 3rd, 2015, 09:38
Nearly every AI I have for 9 works in 10. You don't need a native aircraft.

ian elliot
July 3rd, 2015, 09:57
Pretty much everything ive got in FS9 will show in FSX, MAIW, Calclassics, John Young, Stewart/Mike Pearson ect ect ( although some of these guys have started making dedicated Ai for FSX ) with a few minor limitations, all work fine, quite a few regular FS9 portover's will work too but with a few limitations esp for animations, props and glass, and maybe a bit of airfile tweaking, ive used a lot by Ito, Mike Stone and J.R. Lucariny for statics and ai and have had few problems.

See what you fancy and try it out, 9 times out of 10, you'll be happy

cheers ian

DaveWG
July 3rd, 2015, 10:06
Make sure you don't mix FS9 & FSX format AI traffic files (the actual traffic bgl itself, not the models). Doing means you'll only see the FS9 ones, any FSX formatted ones will not show, including the default traffic.

Butcherbird17
July 3rd, 2015, 10:46
Not really GA, but Mike Pearson's new DC-4/C-54 Skymaster works well in FSX. Here is a WIP of a paint I'm working on.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/R5D_Blue%20Angels_zps7ov1bupw.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/R5D_Blue%20Angels_zps7ov1bupw.jpg.html)

You can always use HTAI fs9 models for GA, lots of freeware plus the payware package.

Joe

Duckie
July 4th, 2015, 06:02
Thanks very much for your responses. This is my first foray into FSX AI. I was fairly competent with FS9 AI and have a descent FS9 AI library, many of which are very detailed models. Just thought I'd try the brain trust here for some suggestions or maybe some little known native treasures. Not interested in populating the world with GA AI because I don't fly the world. Just trying to populate a few small local Georgia GA airfields with some very specific vintage and contemporary small private GA aircraft.

Thanks for the cautionary tip DaveWG re FS9 vs FSX traffic files. I'm creating my own FSX flight plans from scratch for what I want.

Cheers!

DaveB
July 4th, 2015, 06:15
You can still use FS9 traffic files Steve but they have to be run through something like AIFP (which is free) first. It will happily convert FS9 traffic.bgl's to FSX format at the click of a button and warn of any potential problems as it's doing so. In my experience.. they ALL throw up errors.. even FSX ones:banghead::biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

rdaniell
July 4th, 2015, 06:38
You can still use FS9 traffic files Steve but they have to be run through something like AIFP (which is free) first. It will happily convert FS9 traffic.bgl's to FSX format at the click of a button and warn of any potential problems as it's doing so. In my experience.. they ALL throw up errors.. even FSX ones:banghead::biggrin-new: ATB DaveB:)

I use that program to convert my FS9 traffic files. For some reason, I still like to use the FS9 program to create my traffic files. Just a personal opinion but, it was well worth the effort learning how to make my own traffic files. With patience and a lot of trial and error, one can have AI traffic at their favorite airports that simulates the real world traffic located at them. Makes a lot of difference in the immersion factor.

Additionally, with more time and patience, one can have the airplanes parking at the airport at pretty much the same location as in real life. I use ADEX for this.

RD

Duckie
July 4th, 2015, 06:43
You can still use FS9 traffic files Steve but they have to be run through something like AIFP (which is free) first. It will happily convert FS9 traffic.bgl's to FSX format at the click of a button and warn of any potential problems as it's doing so. In my experience.. they ALL throw up errors.. even FSX ones:banghead::biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB:)

Thanks Dave. I'm using AIFP now to create my new flight plans since there are none for the airfields I'm working on. I'm sure I'll use it to convert some existing FS9 plans when I get around to populating some military bases.

Steve

Duckie
July 4th, 2015, 06:57
I use that program to convert my FS9 traffic files. For some reason, I still like to use the FS9 program to create my traffic files. Just a personal opinion but, it was well worth the effort learning how to make my own traffic files. With patience and a lot of trial and error, one can have AI traffic at their favorite airports that simulates the real world traffic located at them. Makes a lot of difference in the immersion factor.

Additionally, with more time and patience, one can have the airplanes parking at the airport at pretty much the same location as in real life. I use ADEX for this.

RD

Hey RD, I'm using ADEX to build GA2, Peach State Aerodrome. Had my first WACO ride at this cool little field. It has a vintage restoration facility using a couple of the older hangars, and houses the Candler Field Museum that is also home to Ron Alexander's DC-3.

This little project has me learning to extract bgl files and modify object textures to get as close as my feeble skills can get me to the look of this little grass field (2,800') with several hangars, large and small, a big museum hangar, a few large homes with their own hangars and a network of asphalt streets that double as taxiways to get to the grass strip.

Steve

rdaniell
July 4th, 2015, 07:23
Hey RD, I'm using ADEX to build GA2, Peach State Aerodrome. Had my first WACO ride at this cool little field. It has a vintage restoration facility using a couple of the older hangars, and houses the Candler Field Museum that is also home to Ron Alexander's DC-3. This little project has me learning to extract bgl files and modify object textures to get as close as my feeble skills can get me to the look of this little grass field (2,800') with several hangars, large and small, a big museum hangar, a few large homes with their own hangars and a network of asphalt streets that double as taxiways to get to the grass strip.
Steve

I'm familiar with GA2. I've flown into it with a friend in his Maule on two occasions. I shall look forward to your completion of this project. I live down the road on I-75 South from Atlanta.

Dimus did a great job of recreating KTMA. It can be found here at the Outhouse. You also can find a couple of my South Georgia Airport projects here at the Outhouse. They do not include AI traffic files as some of the airplanes in my traffic files are not available for download. That's the great thing about making your own AI traffic. You can pretty much use whatever you have available in your own personal hanger.

RD

Duckie
July 4th, 2015, 07:47
I'm familiar with GA2. I've flown into it with a friend in his Maule on two occasions. I shall look forward to your completion of this project. I live down the road on I-75 South from Atlanta.

Dimus did a great job of recreating KTMA. It can be found here at the Outhouse. You also can find a couple of my South Georgia Airport projects here at the Outhouse. They do not include AI traffic files as some of the airplanes in my traffic files are not available for download. That's the great thing about making your own AI traffic. You can pretty much use whatever you have available in your own personal hanger.

RD

Yep. Got 'em already! :encouragement: :encouragement:

Duckie
July 13th, 2015, 12:24
...???

Well, I got the scenery for GA2 looking just about the way I wanted, with AI operating IN/OUT of the field and GA aircraft scenery objects placed.

HOWEVER, today, as I was adding a couple more AI flights, a lake, right in the middle of the grass strip at one end, which I had previously covered using an Airport Polygon (ADE9X latest version), is now showing up again. The Airport Poly is still in place with the original properties I had set (flatten mask, class map, exclude autogen).

Any suggestions on how to cure this?

Thanks

rdaniell
July 13th, 2015, 12:44
Duckie, I've had similar problems in the past. I just kept revising and recompiling until all of a sudden the problem went away. Wish I could offer some more tangible advice. He, he, I'm convinced that there's an evil spirit that lives within FSX and raises its ugly head sometimes.

RD

Duckie
July 13th, 2015, 13:01
Duckie, I've had similar problems in the past. I just kept revising and recompiling until all of a sudden the problem went away. Wish I could offer some more tangible advice. He, he, I'm convinced that there's an evil spirit that lives within FSX and raises its ugly head sometimes.

RD

Thanks RD. I'm with you on the grimlins!

Steve