PDA

View Full Version : Adding Shockwave Light Effects!

rdaniell
July 3rd, 2015, 02:56
I thought I would pass along something that I've learned about adding Shockwave Lights to various airplanes. For airplanes that DO NOT have a landing light entry in the aircraft config file, you can start by looking at the aircraft contact points in the aircraft config file. Example: On the AlphaSim Lyslander the landing lights are located in the fenders of the main landing gear. I started by using those x, y, and z coordinates. I then adjusted as necessary. The Left and Right coordinates from the center of the airplane were exactly correct at the start of the process. I then adjusted for height and front to back.

I expect most of you already knew this but, thought it might help someone who didn't.

RD

stovall
July 3rd, 2015, 05:54
rdaniell, thanks for the information. All the old salts would know this but you have definitely helped those new to our hobby. Much appreciated.

TARPSBird
July 3rd, 2015, 11:02
Too bad the creator of Aircraft Container Manager never updated the program to be compatible with FSX. Lights, contact points and other parameters were so easy with ACM. Since it's become "abandoned-ware" I'm surprised nobody has hacked the program to make it work with FSX.

rdaniell
July 3rd, 2015, 11:36
Too bad the creator of Aircraft Container Manager never updated the program to be compatible with FSX. Lights, contact points and other parameters were so easy with ACM. Since it's become "abandoned-ware" I'm surprised nobody has hacked the program to make it work with FSX.

I completely agree with you. As it is, it's revise coordinates, check in the sim, revise and check again....:banghead:...over and over. That's one of the reasons I still have a lot of my airplanes without shockwave lights on them.

RD

TARPSBird
July 3rd, 2015, 13:15
Just FYI for those who haven't worked with it, ModelConverterX has a horizontal 3D grid display in meters that helps to get lights "in the ballpark" for final positioning if you have a good eye for estimating fractions of a meter and multiplying by 3.28 to get x/y/z values in feet. Still not as convenient as creating a light or contact point and dragging it with your mouse.