PDA

View Full Version : Interesting A-6A Vietnam era paint

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2015, 19:45
Found this interesting VA-65 paint scheme. Picture taken onboard the Constellation, circa 1966. I don't think it's been done for either Virtavia or RAZBAM, has it? NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24673&stc=1

ViperPilot2
June 29th, 2015, 20:34
For that matter, Ito-san's version for FS9 as well!

NC -- did you get your Android issues sorted out?

Alan :biggrin-new:

stansdds
June 30th, 2015, 01:58
Interesting. It looks more like British green and blue-gray over white camouflage.

Navy Chief
June 30th, 2015, 06:05
For that matter, Ito-san's version for FS9 as well!

NC -- did you get your Android issues sorted out?

Alan :biggrin-new:

Hey Alan,

I ended up buying a new Moto E (previous version) for 90 bucks. Had ordered a Moto G, but found out (contrary to the item's description on Amazon) it did NOT have an expansion slot for a microSDcard, which I wanted. The Moto E does. So I can keep most of apps on that. I do not have the phone connected to any wireless service, and never will. The jerks charge too much, and I ain't payin' it.

But as long as I have access to a wireless network (be it at my house or restaurant, or whatever) I can cruise the internet, and even make phone calls. I subscribe to a service called "OOMA". I bought one of their devices which connects to my home router, which connects to my house phone. My account with them is awesome, because my OOMA phone number is accessible from wherever I am, as long as I have internet access. I can make and receive calls on my cell phone, just as if I had Verizon, etc... I just need wireless network. But in an emergency, I can dial 911, and my phone WILL work!

Oh yeah, and the cost of my ooma service? I pay 39 bucks a year, plus monthly taxes of $3.67. Not bad eh? NC

SSI01
June 30th, 2015, 06:50
This paint scheme on the A-6 was, I believe, an experiment the Navy conducted during the war in Vietnam to determine if the dark green camo on the A-6's upper surfaces would be a tactical advantage over the North but, equally important, would it present undue risk or hazard to those working on the flight deck at night. It was determined the advantages the scheme conferred on the aircraft over North Vietnam were far outweighed by the risks it created on the flight deck at night, due to the difficulties experienced in marshaling and spotting the dark and indistinct aircraft at that time. The experiment was dropped.

I believe this scheme was also tried on at least one A-3 but can't be sure of that.

ViperPilot2
June 30th, 2015, 07:02
Hey Alan,

I ended up buying a new Moto E (previous version) for 90 bucks. Had ordered a Moto G, but found out (contrary to the item's description on Amazon) it did NOT have an expansion slot for a microSDcard, which I wanted. The Moto E does. So I can keep most of apps on that. I do not have the phone connected to any wireless service, and never will. The jerks charge too much, and I ain't payin' it.

But as long as I have access to a wireless network (be it at my house or restaurant, or whatever) I can cruise the internet, and even make phone calls. I subscribe to a service called "OOMA". I bought one of their devices which connects to my home router, which connects to my house phone. My account with them is awesome, because my OOMA phone number is accessible from wherever I am, as long as I have internet access. I can make and receive calls on my cell phone, just as if I had Verizon, etc... I just need wireless network. But in an emergency, I can dial 911, and my phone WILL work!

Oh yeah, and the cost of my ooma service? I pay 39 bucks a year, plus monthly taxes of $3.67. Not bad eh? NC

Not bad at all, NC!

I knew there was a workaround to achieve what you wanted to do, and I'm glad you were able to find it!

Alan :encouragement:

Wayland
June 30th, 2015, 07:14
It looks like a "scooter" right behind the A-6 has the same paint scheme.

Steve

stansdds
June 30th, 2015, 15:42
It looks like a "scooter" right behind the A-6 has the same paint scheme.

Steve

I think you are correct!