PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!!! Manhatten FSX

grunau_baby
January 30th, 2009, 04:25
Just discovered on simmarket:
http://secure.simmarket.com/aerosoft-online-manhattan-x-(de_3507).phtml

I wonder how the frames are. Really liked the fs9 version.

Regards
Alex

CBris
January 30th, 2009, 05:28
On simMarket before Aerosoft? And two Euros cheaper...

IanP
January 30th, 2009, 05:48
Well Aerosoft set the pricing, not the person who posts it to simMarket!

Seriously? This is one where I won't be leading the charge. I seriously doubt my PC will cope with it, even following the recent upgrades.

crashaz
January 30th, 2009, 06:54
Seriously? This is one where I won't be leading the charge. I seriously doubt my PC will cope with it, even following the recent upgrades.

This sounds like a job for Moe!:ipepsi2:

CBris
January 30th, 2009, 07:04
Aerosoft changed it down - I guess that they were slower off the mark than simMarket. It's on the Aerosoft shop now too...

deimos256
January 30th, 2009, 12:54
i was waiting for this and loved it in fs9, but i think ill let someone else be the guinea pig, its never good when the developer warns of needing a powerful system.

hey_moe
January 30th, 2009, 13:18
The last one I brought from them dragged my system to a stop...then they said it doesn't work well on Vista...I guess they forgot that step...lol. Someone else gets to be the sucker. BTW...I am building my new system this weekend so you guys get a chance to test it before come back...lol

Boomer
January 30th, 2009, 16:04
I am tempted to buy it just so I can gloat (I hope) over my performance.

I really enjoyed it back in FS9 but the unfortunate reality is I dont fly in that area anymore. Other than curiosity there is little point in me getting it.

Boomer
January 30th, 2009, 23:20
OK curiosity got the best of me so I went & bought it... Besides Aerosoft always turns out great stuff & I gotta do my part to keep them solvent :costumes:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
When I 1st loaded it up I got a bit of a reality check. It brought my rig to its knees! <o:p></o:p>
A quick word about my FSX setup. I have everything set at Max & a cfg tweak to display 6000 autgoen per square. In my arrogance I set REX to real weather which turned out to be foggy & I picked my best frames hog the Nemeth CH53. <o:p></o:p>
After the "get real" bitch slap I looked at the doc that comes with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan</st1:place></st1:City> X & it had listed a recommended settings which I tried. Low & behold everything became smooth & fluid without any real reduction in the quantity or quality of what I was seeing. <o:p></o:p>
I then went on to have a very pleasant couple of hours as I tried various helos & poked around all the areas of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan</st1:place></st1:City>. <o:p></o:p>
I did note a couple of problems/anomalies. <o:p></o:p>
1st off I was disappointed to discover the helipad on top of the Metlife building wasn’t hardened. Real bummer as this scenery is a helo pilots dream. I sincerely hope that was an oversight & will be corrected. Next is none of the building seem to have crash detection enabled. One of the things I like to do is take a stunt plane up & down the city streets. If I dont do my part I want the feedback! Next I saw some texture map issues. Hardly noticeable in most cases but I thought I would mention it. Lastly I get a flicker when viewed at some angles off the rooftop. What it looks like is 1 triangle of the roof poly is the culprit. <o:p></o:p>
Overall impression is I like it! They have done a great job of presenting you with the feel of a major city, ambient noise (traffic sounds & horns honking) when you are low adds to that effect. I think they have a real winner here that the masses will swarm to once they have the hardware to run it. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

kilo delta
January 31st, 2009, 01:19
Thanks for the mini review, Rob :ernae:. Looks to be a nice addon.
Re: your new rig.........have you overclocked it yet?

:)

deimos256
January 31st, 2009, 02:15
OK curiosity got the best of me so I went & bought it... Besides Aerosoft always turns out great stuff & I gotta do my part to keep them solvent :costumes:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When I 1st loaded it up I got a bit of a reality check. It brought my rig to its knees! <o:p></o:p>
A quick word about my FSX setup. I have everything set at Max & a cfg tweak to display 6000 autgoen per square. In my arrogance I set REX to real weather which turned out to be foggy & I picked my best frames hog the Nemeth CH53. <o:p></o:p>
After the "get real" bitch slap I looked at the doc that comes with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan</st1:place></st1:City> X & it had listed a recommended settings which I tried. Low & behold everything became smooth & fluid without any real reduction in the quantity or quality of what I was seeing. <o:p></o:p>
I then went on to have a very pleasant couple of hours as I tried various helos & poked around all the areas of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Manhattan</st1:place></st1:City>. <o:p></o:p>
I did note a couple of problems/anomalies. <o:p></o:p>
1st off I was disappointed to discover the helipad on top of the Metlife building wasn’t hardened. Real bummer as this scenery is a helo pilots dream. I sincerely hope that was an oversight & will be corrected. Next is none of the building seem to have crash detection enabled. One of the things I like to do is take a stunt plane up & down the city streets. If I dont do my part I want the feedback! Next I saw some texture map issues. Hardly noticeable in most cases but I thought I would mention it. Lastly I get a flicker when viewed at some angles off the rooftop. What it looks like is 1 triangle of the roof poly is the culprit. <o:p></o:p>
Overall impression is I like it! They have done a great job of presenting you with the feel of a major city, ambient noise (traffic sounds & horns honking) when you are low adds to that effect. I think they have a real winner here that the masses will swarm to once they have the hardware to run it. <o:p></o:p>

What rig are you running it on?

d0mokun
January 31st, 2009, 02:58
Nothing short of a powerful one by the looks of the sig:

Core i7-940 2.93 GHz 8MB Cache
Dual 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1 Audio
1200 Watt Power Supply
Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Boomer,

Though you say things didn't look much different when you modified the settings, did said mods make your other scenery look different?

I've got a similar system to yours, just with a little less ram and a 4870x2. I can't run London for love nor money for it brings my rig to its knees, unless on crappy settings. I'd buy this but if it's not going to perform on your rig without harming scenery elsewhere, I might give it a miss.

TIA!
Dan.

Boomer
January 31st, 2009, 07:30
KD, Nope havent overclocked it. Dont think I will either. I burned up a CPU many moons ago while overclocking & I thought it was expensive back then to replace one cpu :)

Deimos, system specs are in my sig.

Dan, I didnt have a chance to test it in other areas. I was up till the wee hours flying just in Manhattan & didnt go elsewhere.
I can say that I do see a differance in outlying areas though. The 2 settings they recomend that had the largest impact on my performance were detail radius & traffic density.

I do need to do more testing though. I discovered a few days ago that my rig seems to get better frames in some areas when I am not running my graphic cards in SLI. When flying last night it was just a single card that was rasterising everything. I will try it again today & see what it does in SLI.

hey_moe
February 1st, 2009, 13:01
Bob, very nice shots...on the processor burning up, the specs on that processor is much cooler and it also has a built in over heat protection. The 45n processor even does good on standard fan cooling. On the voltage/ 1.3625 and stand/ heat 71.4c it can take a lot of pain...Mike

AckAck
February 1st, 2009, 21:49
Good Gravy! My computer has trouble even loading your screenshots...

Brian

kilo delta
February 2nd, 2009, 02:20
Bob, very nice shots...on the processor burning up, the specs on that processor is much cooler and it also has a built in over heat protection. The 45n processor even does good on standard fan cooling. On the voltage/ 1.3625 and stand/ heat 71.4c it can take a lot of pain...Mike

I'd recommend a good cooler,however, as the airflow in the Alienware chassis is poor.

Boomer
February 2nd, 2009, 07:52
KD I saw one of your earlier posts mentioning the poor airflow so I went with liquid cooled.

Thanks for the tip! :ernae: