PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Config Question

rdaniell
June 25th, 2015, 23:53
What line(s) in the aircraft config file need to be adjusted so that the engine will remain running at start-up? I have an airplane that starts up running but soon quits. It will restart and remain running if you add a little bit of throttle but will shut down again without doing that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I've forgotten :pop4: how I fixed this problem on a couple other airplanes over the years. (Yeah! I'm getting older!)

RD

stansdds
June 26th, 2015, 03:23
Strange behavior, which aircraft is causing this problem?

rdaniell
June 26th, 2015, 04:00
Strange behavior, which aircraft is causing this problem?

It's flysimware's Cessna 120. I have continued to mess with the aircraft config file and may have "stumbled" upon a solution. I changed the minimum throttle limit from =0.000000 to= 0.050000. I also increase the idle_rpm_friction_scalar from =1.00 to =1.05.

He, he, I don't know why but it seems to be working and in the end, that's all that matters to this old man.

RD

Dev One
June 26th, 2015, 04:58
Most of my models I create require about 0.1, to 0.15 min throttle to stay alive.
Keith

rdaniell
June 26th, 2015, 06:13
Most of my models I create require about 0.1, to 0.15 min throttle to stay alive.
Keith

Thanks looks like I "stumbled" :triumphant: upon a solution. Reminds me of the old saying we have down here in South Georgia: "Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while :biggrin-new: ."

RD

Paul Domingue
June 26th, 2015, 06:25
Many vintage aircraft required a slight increase in throttle setting until the engine came up to operating temperature. Modelers incorporate this feature to add to the realism. Changing this takes away from the model. Just like us old geezers need that strong cup of black coffee in the morning to get up to operating temperature.

Old Geezer
Paul

stansdds
June 27th, 2015, 04:34
Flysimware really seems to try to get flight models and systems correct. I suspect that the real Cessna 120 required keeping the throttle opened slightly to maintain idle. As you have discovered, you can change the cfg file to maintain a slightly open throttle.

rdaniell
June 27th, 2015, 05:41
Flysimware really seems to try to get flight models and systems correct. I suspect that the real Cessna 120 required keeping the throttle opened slightly to maintain idle. As you have discovered, you can change the cfg file to maintain a slightly open throttle.

I have quite a few hours in a Cessna 140. When we first got it, you had to keep a little throttle opened on it or it would shut down. This was really inconvient right after landing if you didn't immediately advance the throttle just a little. We solved this by simply setting the idle RPM up just a little.

That's was my goal with the FSX 120 which I now have set like I wanted.

RD

stansdds
June 28th, 2015, 03:13
I have quite a few hours in a Cessna 140. When we first got it, you had to keep a little throttle opened on it or it would shut down. This was really inconvient right after landing if you didn't immediately advance the throttle just a little. We solved this by simply setting the idle RPM up just a little.

That's was my goal with the FSX 120 which I now have set like I wanted.

RD

Reminds me of cars made in the 1970's. In order to cut emissions, car manufactures added a solenoid to the carburetor's throttle plate control arm. With the ignition system off, the throttle plates would be completely closed, theoretically sealing off the intake manifold and any fuel in the manifold would not escape into the atmosphere. When the ignition was on, the solenoid opened the throttle to the set idle position. It worked pretty well... until something went wrong with the solenoid or its wiring. If the solenoid failed, you had to keep your foot on the gas pedal to maintain at least the minimum open throttle.