PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10?

Willy
June 24th, 2015, 09:21
My comp came with Win 8.1 and I've grown accustomed to it after years with XP (skipped Vista & 7). Now I've got this icon on my task bar about a free upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm thinking there has to be a catch.

What's the deal on 10 and is it any improvement over 8.1? And how does FSX SE run on it?

Ickie
June 24th, 2015, 09:27
it is free for 1 year so you have time to decide if you want it, after 1 year then you have to pay for it.
if you get it within the 1 year then it is free for as ling as you have that computer.

IanHenry
June 24th, 2015, 09:31
What happens if you need to re-format your computer?

Ian

Ickie
June 24th, 2015, 09:35
"I wonder" you mean, lol
My M$ crystal ball is all fogged up today, :banghead:

graycat8524
June 24th, 2015, 09:55
What happens if you need to re-format your computer?

Ian

Then you will probably have to reformat using Win 7 or 8 then upgrade to Win 10 again. The small windows icon in the Task Bar is only to pre-order a free Windows 10 upgrade (once it's available for download). From what I've heard you can pre-order Windows 10, give your e-mail address, and Microsoft will e-mail you when it's available for download and install (over an existing Windows 7 or 8 OS). According to the Microsoft website the free upgrade will be available July 29,2015.

What I did for Windows 8 was to wait until the CD retail FULL INSTALL version boxed set came out in stores (sorry about the caps, however, MS sells both Full Install and Update version CD's - be sure to get the Full Install version). I was then one of the first in line to buy the Full Install boxed set which had Windows 8 (2 CD's; a 32-bit and a 64-bit install disk). The cost was only $40 within the first year of sale. If you waited to buy Windows 8 after the first year then the price went up. Since I legally purchased Windows 8 I could re-format my hard disk and install it as many times as I wanted. That's what I am going to do for Windows 10. I'll legally buy the Full Install disks when they go retail.

The big problem is that Microsoft has not been very forthcoming about when the Windows 10 Full Install CD's are going to be available for sale or what their price are going to be when available.

Hope this sheds some light, Ian

Dave

Mazo
June 24th, 2015, 14:00
Microsoft has stated that we will be able to create an ISO of Win10 after it has been installed on your computer. With the ISO you burn to a DVD, you will be able to do a clean install on that computer whenever needed - like a reformatted hard drive. NO need to buy a retail version except to install Win10 on a computer that was not part of the upgrade.

If you do not take advantage of the free update within the first year, after 29JUL2016 the cost will be $119.00 for the Home version and $199.00 for the Pro version.

Hope this clears up some questions.

Yes, I am part of the Windows10 Insider program - you can too! http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso)

Lyn

(http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso)

donnybalonny
June 24th, 2015, 14:44
Funny enough, noone has answered the questions from the initial post.:a1310:

Willy
June 24th, 2015, 15:40
Funny enough, noone has answered the questions from the initial post.:a1310:

Kind of noticed that too...

I've always tried to not be an "early adopter" of anything computer. But if Win 10 is actually a good deal and FSX SE runs on it, I might be in on it. Otherwise, it would do MS well to realize that I stayed with 98SE until about 2006 and XP until a couple of months ago. I'm good at keeping older software going.

Ickie
June 24th, 2015, 15:52
:biggrin-new: I did tell you,........ sort of :encouragement:
you have 365 days to find this out, by listening to others who have installed this, and still get it free.
I am sure FSX will run on IE-10, but cannot be 100% sure since my Crystal Ball is foggy on this question. It is my best guess since this is 6 weeks away.

AussieMan
June 24th, 2015, 16:34
I too am a Windows insider. For the last 12 months I have had the W10 Technical preview and everything worked fine. I must point out that my onboard LAN stopped working a couple of years ago and I have been using an Ethernet card since. Still worked fine.

Last week I updated to the W10 Insiders preview. Big mistake. It would not recognise my Ethernet card for starters. When I moved from Lithgow to the Central coast I had to get a wireless adaptor as my modem was in a different room to my computer. W10 wouldn't work with that as there are no drivers available for it as yet.

Also hit my P3D bad. dropped from 23FPS on the apron at my default airport to .3FPS. Also turned my MSTS into a slide show.

Ickie
June 25th, 2015, 02:31
here is 7 more questions answered

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/jun/25/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-7-questions-answered

ejoiner
June 25th, 2015, 04:25
My comp came with Win 8.1 and I've grown accustomed to it after years with XP (skipped Vista & 7). Now I've got this icon on my task bar about a free upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm thinking there has to be a catch.

What's the deal on 10 and is it any improvement over 8.1? And how does FSX SE run on it?

My understanding is that its a 3GB download to install. Im going to download it and park it. Then wait for the early adopters to give feedback on compatibility with FSX etc, before I press the GO button. What i hear is that W10 should be the best Windows ever. I have Microsoft corporate as one of my customers.

Eric

Paul Domingue
June 25th, 2015, 07:40
I too have have been running Win X beta. I had some initial problems that have been resolved. All in all I have been quite satisfied with it. I have the luxury of two computers so I was not hesitant to test Win X. Once I knew that the major software I use worked properly in the new OS I was able to breathe a sigh of relief. It is up to everyone to try it with there own systems since no two are quite alike. The statement I hear "there is no turning back" is false. If I choose so I can reformat and reinstall my old OS. For those long time Windows users you know that is something we have to do every once in a great while as much as we hate it.