PDA

View Full Version : FM-2 Wildcat released by Allen!

dasuto247
June 15th, 2015, 18:58
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an up to date FM-2 Wildcat for use in mid-late 44 -end of war. The one I found flies great but is a bit out of date visually.The dark blue skin is appropriate but is marked for one pilot/squadron and the cockpit needs some detail.Just wondering if I have missed out on a more up to date one? Thanks.

kelticheart
June 16th, 2015, 00:17
Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an up to date FM-2 Wildcat for use in mid-late 44 -end of war. The one I found flies great but is a bit out of date visually.The dark blue skin is appropriate but is marked for one pilot/squadron and the cockpit needs some detail.Just wondering if I have missed out on a more up to date one? Thanks.

Hi there!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=18576

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=17898

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=17587

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

bub
June 16th, 2015, 08:06
Thanks for the "tip of the hat" on the FM-1/2 Kelti. Dasuto, go over to Simviation and search under Bob McGee. There are a bunch of FM-2 repaints there for different squadrons and pilots. "Mah Baby" is the complete aircraft, the rest are repaints. I agree that the aircraft could use some updating. the VC and some of the modeling need some work. Overall its a nice aircraft and flies well. A little TLC and it can be brought up to "modern" standards. A couple of weeks ago I went to Reading Pa. for the MAAM WW2 airshow and gathering, the FM-2 that was there was buzzing around and appeared to hold its own with its peers. it was quite impressive. Also, maxstuka did some updates to provide breaking parts.

Bub

dasuto247
June 16th, 2015, 12:25
Thanks for the "tip of the hat" on the FM-1/2 Kelti. Dasuto, go over to Simviation and search under Bob McGee. There are a bunch of FM-2 repaints there for different squadrons and pilots. "Mah Baby" is the complete aircraft, the rest are repaints. I agree that the aircraft could use some updating. the VC and some of the modeling need some work. Overall its a nice aircraft and flies well. A little TLC and it can be brought up to "modern" standards. A couple of weeks ago I went to Reading Pa. for the MAAM WW2 airshow and gathering, the FM-2 that was there was buzzing around and appeared to hold its own with its peers. it was quite impressive. Also, maxstuka did some updates to provide breaking parts.

Bub

Thanks, found the skins.I agree the plane is a great model, just needs some updating.Love the catapult feature for use with CVE, I added it to TBF model so takeoffs from CVE's are possible when loaded.

dasuto247
June 16th, 2015, 12:26
Hi there!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=18576

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=17898

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=52&id=17587

Cheers!

Thanks for the links, I have all three.I was wondering if any other models were out there and skins for the FM-2, which was answered below.Thanks again :applause:

bub
June 16th, 2015, 14:57
Dasuto,
There is one more I forgot about. The FDG2 FM-2 Wildcat. You may be able to find it here or check with Rami. He knows eveything. :applause:
Bub

dasuto247
June 16th, 2015, 18:43
Dasuto,
There is one more I forgot about. The FDG2 FM-2 Wildcat. You may be able to find it here or check with Rami. He knows eveything. :applause:
Bub

Thanks, I will ask Rami.I searched but kept getting dead links and do not see it in donationware with the other FDG planes.

bub
June 16th, 2015, 19:44
I found the zip file. If worst comes to worst, we'll figure something out if you can't find it.
Bub

Roxane-21
June 16th, 2015, 21:50
I searched but kept getting dead links and do not see it in donationware with the other FDG planes.

Here is the link for the Donationware FM-2 :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=68&id=17802

dasuto247
June 17th, 2015, 00:34
Here is the link for the Donationware FM-2 :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=68&id=17802

Thanks, going to give it a quick flight before sleep.

Rami
June 17th, 2015, 01:58
Good morning,

Thanks for covering me, guys. I've been playing tour guide for most of this week to my cousins who are visiting from Wisconsin. Pictured left to right are Sydney, Jay, my mother, and me. (Leslie, Jay's wife, was taking the picture)

So I've barely been able to keep up on the uploads. :very_drunk:

Allen
June 30th, 2015, 22:32
Since I may be looking for something to do in gMax... I know that the FM-2 tail was made taller to help with the torque but I'm not sure if just the rudder was made taller or was the whole tail and rudder made taller vs the basic F4F4?

hewman100
July 1st, 2015, 00:18
The vertical tail was increased at the top by six inches or so, and then the rudder was altered accordingly in height.

Allen
July 1st, 2015, 08:59
That sucks. There is almost no room on the stock F4F4 texture to make the tail taller. It runs right into the Vert stablelizer. The texture has room for a taller rudder.

Allen
July 1st, 2015, 12:18
Some work on the tail. Thanks to the taper of the tall and the lay out of the stablelizer on the texture sheet.

Allen
July 2nd, 2015, 12:36
Well here is the engine. I think this is right but I'm not too sure. Also I need some one to make a texture for this thing... I can put tyhe model up for those that want to have a try at the texture.

Blood_Hawk23
July 2nd, 2015, 13:30
Well here is the engine. I think this is right but I'm not too sure. Also I need some one to make a texture for this thing... I can put tyhe model up for those that want to have a try at the texture.

Would the hellcat texture work?

Allen
July 2nd, 2015, 13:57
Crazy/great minds think alike. I liberated the smoke from the Hellcat texture and a ton of copy and paste to make blank texture.

EDIT:

Tri-Color pic attached. Darn dose it look like a Hellcat dosen't it?

Roxane-21
July 2nd, 2015, 22:04

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24761&stc=1

It looks great with this texture ! Keep it up ! :applause:

Blood_Hawk23
July 2nd, 2015, 22:48
Crazy/great minds think alike. I liberated the smoke from the Hellcat texture and a ton of copy and paste to make blank texture.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24760&stc=1

EDIT:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24761&stc=1

I figured it might work. The Hellcat is just an up rated wildcat. Well a bit more then that. It looks great Allen.

Allen
July 2nd, 2015, 23:42
Here it is ingame. I had to drop the smoothing from 60 to 30 as 60 was causing bad lighting effects along the fuselage at each cut in the fuselage for the breaking parts and damage texture.

dasuto247
July 3rd, 2015, 10:43
Here it is ingame. I had to drop the smoothing from 60 to 30 as 60 was causing bad lighting effects along the fuselage at each cut in the fuselage for the breaking parts and damage texture.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24777&stc=1

Very nice.I have a dark blue "glossy" texture for F6F-5, based on OH F6F.Would like me to send it to you to see how it works?

Allen
July 3rd, 2015, 12:18
Won't do me any good. The only thing I took from the F6F Hellcat was the exhast smoke. The rest is edit of the stock F4F4 Wilcat.

miamieagle
July 3rd, 2015, 14:32
Great work Allen!

Thank you:applause:

Blood_Hawk23
July 3rd, 2015, 15:28
Won't do me any good. The only thing I took from the F6F Hellcat was the exhast smoke. The rest is edit of the stock F4F4 Wilcat.

Give a shout out to Bub. With a good texture I'm sure he can make you a great paint.

The B24 Guy
July 3rd, 2015, 15:43
Nice job Allen,

I started a SCASM one at one time but it stalled at the tail changes.
I as well as many simmers will be very happy with one based on the stocker.
Great frame rates, breaking parts, Etc.

Regards,
B24Guy

bub
July 3rd, 2015, 21:34
I have three or four skins I did for a "faux" FM-2 a long time ago. I'm sure they can be made to fit. Let me know and I'll dig them out of the archives. Great work on converting the F4F into the FM-2. I remember the B 24 guy giving it a try. I'm grateful to all of your hard work. Let me know if I can help. Thanks again.
Bob

Allen
July 3rd, 2015, 23:03
Nice job Allen,

I started a SCASM one at one time but it stalled at the tail changes.
I as well as many simmers will be very happy with one based on the stocker.
Great frame rates, breaking parts, Etc.

Regards,
B24Guy

I can't blame ya. It would be no fun to do in SCASM. Frame rates are going to take a small hit as I not doing all of the LODs that the stock model has. The stock model has 8 LODs and I'm cutting down to 5. Each LOD will drop the polygon count by half. So the main LOD is around 3,100 and the next will be around 2,100 and the next will be 1,100. The 4th will be in the 500 range and the 5th around 100.

I have three or four skins I did for a "faux" FM-2 a long time ago. I'm sure they can be made to fit. Let me know and I'll dig them out of the archives. Great work on converting the F4F into the FM-2. I remember the B 24 guy giving it a try. I'm grateful to all of your hard work. Let me know if I can help. Thanks again.
Bob

Here is the texture in PSD format. You can use it on the stock F4F to do the texture.

bub
July 3rd, 2015, 23:56
Allen,
Thanks for the texture. I have the others done. They may need some touching up. How will the taller tail effect them? I'll give them a look later today and get back to you. I'm at work now, so it will have to wait until I wake up. Thanks again.
Bob

Allen
July 4th, 2015, 00:22
The non-moving part of the tail should be fine with some exteding work done. The Rudder will prob have to be a full redo as it is not at the same scale. I plan to go back and put the Rudder at the same same scale as the rest of the tail. Once that is done I will upload a new .PSD.

bub
July 4th, 2015, 01:02
Allen,
No sweat. I'll find one without tail markings and send it along. When its all done we can cross that bridge. If not, I can whip up one that will work for now.
Bob

Allen
July 4th, 2015, 13:57
Having made textures I know how bad it sucks when parts are not at the same scale on the texture sheet. It was no big deal to change it.

Attaching the whole FM-2 ready for CFS2. In the texture folder is the .PSD of the current texture and it has a wireframe of the tail and rudder so you can get the placement right. Note all others The FM-2 missing a few of the LODs as I have yet to do them so it is NOT ready for final upload and if you use it in large numbers you will likely see lag.

bub
July 4th, 2015, 15:00
Allen,
Just slapped an old skin in to see where I'm at. It needs some adjustments and recoloring and a little TLC. Other than that we're in the ballpark. Give me a few days and we'll see where we're at.
Bob

Allen
July 5th, 2015, 15:16
I think I got the model done. Ran into vary odd part linking bugs that messed up the damage texture logic for the fuselage from nose to tail that took over 3 hours of messing around to fix.

I'll put the whole aircraft up after bub get the textures done.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
July 6th, 2015, 06:57
Well, Allen... you cfs2 plane modeling skills are top notch.
I certainly cannot wait for the gm fm-2 to be released.

bub
July 6th, 2015, 13:23
Allen,
Here's the first attempt. Still some work to be done, as it's only half finished. I think I'll take out some of the weathering. I went a little overboard. Let me know what you think.
Bob

Allen
July 6th, 2015, 17:06
Looks fine to me.

bub
July 6th, 2015, 22:00
Allen,
If it looks good to you, it looks good to me. Here it is, from the USS Kadashan Bay, CVE-76, VC-20. Flown by J W Eash, two confirmed, Ki-44's. After a good "once over" I'll get it off to you.
Bob

hewman100
July 7th, 2015, 00:23
Great work chaps.

kelticheart
July 7th, 2015, 00:26
Great work chaps.

YEAH!!!!
:encouragement: :applause: :encouragement:
Cheers!

Allen
July 7th, 2015, 19:48
Bub

Because of the bug with damage texture logic I changed the name of the textues to remove the "-" from FM-2 in the name so the body textures are now name L_FM2_wildcat_t.bmp and R_FM2_wildcat_t.bmpfor the normal texture and L_FM2_wildcat_d.bmpand R_FM2_wildcat_d.bmpfor the damage texture.

Nothing else has changed.

dasuto247
July 7th, 2015, 20:37
Bub

Because of the bug with damage texture logic I changed the name of the textues to remove the "-" from FM-2 in the name so the body textures are now name L_FM2_wildcat_t.bmp and R_FM2_wildcat_t.bmpfor the normal texture and L_FM2_wildcat_d.bmpand R_FM2_wildcat_d.bmpfor the damage texture.

Nothing else has changed.

Really looking forward to this plane :applause:

bub
July 8th, 2015, 16:55
Allen,
One more, maybe. Flown by Lt. H. Foster lll off the USS Petrof Bay, CVE-80.
Bob

Allen
July 8th, 2015, 18:24
bub
I know it late but I just got the PC fired up today. I sent you the PM info and the wire change worked just fine.

Allen
July 12th, 2015, 01:49
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/693614366553309355.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: This FM-2 Wildcat was made from the CFS2 F4F-4 Wildcat visual model. Features animated parts. Breaking parts plus damage texture logics as well. Model is Multi LOD with working virtual cockpit.

Come with two texture. Basic Tri Color and a later one of J W Eash from USS Kadashan Bay, CVE-76, VC-20 with two confirmed kills.

Skin template is included in the textue folder for the early Tri Color texture. You will need a program that can read .PSD to use it.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FM-2 Wildcat.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=19871&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

gius
July 12th, 2015, 07:38
Thank you Allen,
for this beautiful addon!
Cheers
Gius

Allen
July 12th, 2015, 07:43
No Prob!

The message your have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at lest 10 characters.

msfossey
July 12th, 2015, 10:48
Great addition; thank you Allen.

msfossey

dasuto247
July 12th, 2015, 13:40
Nice work, just took her for a quick flight.Enjoyed it.Look forward to using it in missions.

Rami
July 12th, 2015, 13:40
Allen,

Thank you, this was a much-needed and appreciated addition to CFS2. :ernaehrung004: Bravo! :very_drunk:

kelticheart
July 13th, 2015, 02:07
THANK YOU ALLEN AND BUB!!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

A very much appreciated effort!

gaucho_59
July 13th, 2015, 04:20
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/693614366553309355.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: This FM-2 Wildcat was made from the CFS2 F4F-4 Wildcat visual model. Features animated parts. Breaking parts plus damage texture logics as well. Model is Multi LOD with working virtual cockpit.

Come with two texture. Basic Tri Color and a later one of J W Eash from USS Kadashan Bay, CVE-76, VC-20 with two confirmed kills.

Skin template is included in the textue folder for the early Tri Color texture. You will need a program that can read .PSD to use it.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FM-2 Wildcat.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=19871&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

This one is a really great addition, especially for repainters because the model IMHO is better than the stock in terms of rounded surfaces and perimetric lines...
Certainly worth a really good detailed paint job... I think I'll try my best skills on it... Thank you, thank you, thank you!

G.

miamieagle
July 13th, 2015, 05:02
Thank you!

They look great:applause:

Allen
July 13th, 2015, 22:03
It was nothing to do. The only bad thing was the part linking the messed up. I think it was related to the folding wings. After a ton of trial and error I found that it was just best to link everything to the master LOD dummy unless it had to be linked to a part for the breaking parts (Elevators and rudder to the tail, Ailerons to the wing tips, Flaps to wings .ect)

bub
July 13th, 2015, 23:35
Allen is being modest. He did all the hard work. It was no small feat and the results are amazing. The aircraft not only looks better, it's fun to fly. It makes a wonderful addition. All credit to his abilities. All I did was to crack open a couple of spray cans and the masking tape.
Thanks Kelti, as Eyore says, "thanks for noticing".
Bob

UncleTgt
July 14th, 2015, 05:28
:redfire:Excellent addition. Many thanks.

hewman100
July 14th, 2015, 11:54
Look out guys! Now UT's got her we'll be up to our eyeballs in new skins:friendly_wink:

bub
July 14th, 2015, 16:54
Ian,
That may be a good thing. Unc has a better handle on these Wildcats than I do. And, seeing that I'm going back into "retirement", somebody has to pick up the slack. Glad you and everyone else are enjoying the FM-2. It's a fun aircraft and a great job by Allen.
Cheers,
Bob

dvslats
July 14th, 2015, 18:02
Look out guys! Now UT's got her we'll be up to our eyeballs in new skins:friendly_wink:

Ahh hewman100!? A bit of a slap in the face, don't you think? :cower: A quick response to the post most likely.
Granted, UT does some fantastic skins, but Bub is pretty darn good also.

I've stated before, I couldn't re-skin an aircraft to save my life.
That being said I have nothing but respect for those that can. :loyal:

Cheerz, Dave

UncleTgt
July 15th, 2015, 06:55
Bub,

Surely if you're retiring that means you have more time to do some repaints? :a1089:

I think Ian was hinting at some FAA Wildcat VIs :triumphant:

bub
July 15th, 2015, 13:59
Unc,
There you go with that whip again. I'm starting to feel like Al Pacino in the Godfather III, "Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in". I reserve the "right" to do this one. Any and all others are yours. No promises on how soon. We'll just have to see what happens.
Bob

UncleTgt
July 16th, 2015, 02:34
Bub,

The field is clear, I'm up to my neck in lots of other stuff ATM. :untroubled::bee:

Hint - Would really like some more Okinawa/ Sakishima FM-2s :mixed-smiley-010:

Roxane-21
July 16th, 2015, 06:58
Thank you Rami and Bub ! That's a nice addition to our plane collection, this bird will perfectly fit taking off from the deck of CVEs ! :applause:

bub
July 16th, 2015, 09:37
Unc,
Ok, ok, you got me. Send me a profile or a picture and we'll see what we can do.
Bob

Roxanne,
Make sure you get the catapult feature. Makes taking off from the CVE's a lot easier.

hewman100
July 16th, 2015, 11:14
Bob knows I wasn't disparaging his painting skills.
I was his researcher on some of his FAA Wildcat work for the Overhauled Stock F4F, so I know what an accomplished skinner he is, even if he doesn't.

The post was merely a reflection on how quickly UT can be at turning them out once he starts!

Allen
July 16th, 2015, 20:34
Been way from things for a while. Too much Zelda: Twilight Princess...

Anyway.... Some messing around with the blank I made for the Tri-Color and made it into a Far East Fleet Wilcat VI.

bub
July 16th, 2015, 22:04
Ian,
First, thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it. Second, I took no offense to what was said in your post. I completely understood where you were coming from and what you meant. Third, I do tend to downplay what I do. The spray cans and masking tape is an example of interjecting a little levity. Sometimes I think we tend to be a little to serious in here. As you know, my avatar is example of that. That being said, thank you again. And, if you have any information on the Wildcat VI's that our "Uncle" is referring to, please send it along. I'm assuming that you still have my email address.
As always, Cheers,
Bob

hewman100
July 16th, 2015, 23:36
Unfortunately not, I've just checked. PM it to me as I'm sure I can furnish you with some stuff.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
July 17th, 2015, 03:33
I have noticed when I extend it, the tail hook actually comes completely off of the end of the plane.

Otherwise, it is a very welcome edition.

Worthless
July 17th, 2015, 10:40
Outstanding work. Just loaded her up and took a few test flights and a couple of QC flights. Easy to handle and land. And lethal to the opponent. Another great AC from your workshop!

Allen
July 17th, 2015, 11:28
I have noticed when I extend it, the tail hook actually comes completely off of the end of the plane.

Otherwise, it is a very welcome edition.

:censored: run on animation error... I fix it and edit the uploaded. I post about that the fix has been done in this thread as well.

Screen of the Far East Fleet Wilcat VI. Somthing about the Insignias seem off but I'm doing this as shown...

Blood_Hawk23
July 17th, 2015, 13:04
I think that was used to keep them form getting shotdown. some of the others know more about the BPF. Could have also been an Aussie or maybe a Kiwi. That is purely a guess.

UncleTgt
July 17th, 2015, 14:28
Hi Allen,

Looks fine to me. The profile you're working from has the outer white roundel rings a little too wide, I would make them thinner outlines.

The story of their development may help you understand the strange appearance:

In the Indian Ocean/CBI the UK learnt to eliminate the red colour from roundels or fin flashes quite quickly. They replaced them by overpainting the red with white, or extending the blue to leave a small dot of white in the centre. This produced a lot of variations in appearance. Later still, sometimes they reduced the size of insignia to half the size carried in the ETO or MTO, thus producing aircraft with "small" roundels. All of the FAA aircraft were in 2 colour camouflage, so the roundels still stood out against the grey, green & sky blue.

Then c. January 1945, the US lend lease aircraft supplied started arriving in theatre painted in overall Gloss Sea Blue, & the blue roundels became difficult to make out against the aircraft colour, looking like tiny white spots from a distance. So the Eastern Fleet (Indian Ocean) started to introduce a thin white outline to the roundels, just to improve the definition against the Gloss Sea Blue paint of the aircraft. It's something unique to this theatre & timeframe (JAN '45 onwards).

The attached is depicting an F6F Hellcat, but it illustrates the proportions quite well, especially if you compare it with ETO roundel sizes & proportions.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
July 17th, 2015, 14:33

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25310&stc=1
Here's what I mean.

Allen
July 17th, 2015, 20:01
Here's what I mean.

You must have missed my post.... I know and I just updated the download with a new model that should fix the tailhook run on animation error.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
July 18th, 2015, 03:29
Oh sorry, I didn't realize you fixed it... I was a bit hesitant about that.

Allen
July 18th, 2015, 13:17
Soon as you said there was a tailhook error I knew what it was. The tailhook is user animated from key 0 to 100 but it has an error with aircraft that use key 0 to 200 animations. Key 0 is landing gear up and 100 is gear down (also many other user animated parts as use key 0 to 100), 100 to 200 is for laning gear compression (gear moving up and down while taking off from rough land).

I had to add a index to the tailhook at 200 for all of the LODs and the prob was fixed.

Anyway. Updated BPF Wilcat VI.

UncleTgt
July 18th, 2015, 13:43
Awesome FAA repaint Allen!

:ernaehrung004:
:triumphant:

dasuto247
July 18th, 2015, 15:00
Great job on the FM2.Just curious, new air file?

Allen
July 19th, 2015, 12:13
As dasuto247 asked. Yes I did edit the airfile but maybe it not quite FM-2 enough so I will be doing another update.

The only thing related to the airfile that wasn't in the pilots manual was the prop gear ratio but I did find it at http://www.enginehistory.org/Dataplates/Cyclone9/Cyclone9Dataplates.shtml It has a data plate of a R-1820-56 from a FM-2.

I droped the prop gear ratio and it had the right effects and done something I have never see before. I get not only better range using warp but a lot more range using warp. NEVER seen this before. I get a range of 849 miles if the player flew the whole way but warp is giving me a range of 1,173 miles. Range is from the 117 gal internal tank only. The 2 stock 58 gall drop tanks should just about double this.

The B24 Guy
July 19th, 2015, 16:14
Hi Allen,
It sure would be great if one could correct the warp bug.

Regards,
B24Guy

Allen
July 20th, 2015, 15:03
The B24 Guy
The warp fuel bug seem to always eat up a ton of fuel. Never seen it use less fuel before.

All other.
I'm attaching the new FM-2 airfile I'm working on. It has the new prop gear ratio and a update of the DP for the new cruse speed used in Mission Builder.

If some would would like to try it out and see if that gets things closer to the real FM-2.

Allen
July 22nd, 2015, 18:49
Update 2: New airfile added to set right prop gear ratio and a update of the DP for the new cruse speed used in Mission Builder and fix error with rockets. British FM-2 Wildcat VI Texture added.

bub
July 22nd, 2015, 20:59
Hi all,
Does anyone know if the Wildcat VI's in the Pacific used British bombs and rockets or US weapons? I noticed that they appear to use the US drop tanks only painted blue. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Allen
July 22nd, 2015, 21:07
My understataning is that British Pacific Fleet used US weapons as they where much easier to get. I know this was done for the British TBFs but when it comes to the FM-2 I could be wrong.

Blood_Hawk23
July 22nd, 2015, 21:29
My understataning is that British Pacific Fleet used US weapons as they where much easier to get. I know this was done for the British TBFs but when it comes to the FM-2 I could be wrong.

Maybe this will help...

http://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Hobbs_THE_BRITISH_PACIFIC_FLEET_IN_1945.pdf

you might be surprised as to the answer.

A little more here...

http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2013-01/royal-navys-pacific-strike-force
http://www.navy.gov.au/history/feature-histories/british-pacific-fleet

and a bit more...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

bub
July 22nd, 2015, 22:27
Thanks guys, I'll give a look after work when I get home.
Bob

UncleTgt
July 23rd, 2015, 02:42
Allen,

Thanks for the updates :encouragement:

My take on weapons:

Only a few Wildcat VI reached Australia before the war ended, so I really can't see them in BPF roundels, & have never found any photo evidence.

Most FAA MkVI were used in CVEs off Norway, &/or moved along with their carriers east to fight the Japanese. As the British Armoured-deck carriers moved into the Pacific they were replaced in the Indian Ocean by an ever-growing number of CVEs, & some of these used Wildcat MkVI.
So, I would extrapolate that, in the main, Brit Wildcat VIs would have used Brit bombs, possibly Brit rockets (but not sure, I know the BPF only used Brit rockets but could never get enough of them - maybe although capable of using US rockets they weren't used by the UK on the MkVI?), US drop tanks & guns(obviously).

Clear as mud :dizzy:

dasuto247
July 23rd, 2015, 10:20
I am trying to modify the DP to use dbolt's weapons, have an option for bombs and rockets, perhaps depth charges.

bub
July 23rd, 2015, 12:15
Dasuto,
If you have my FM-1 Wildcat, take the dp from there and rename it. It will work fine. It uses Dbolts weapons and Baldy's Depth Charges. its also set up to use Mauro's pilots and Bloodhawk's engine pack.
Bob

Allen
July 23rd, 2015, 18:01
If you want to convert to British weapons I did 250lb bombs and PR-3 Aerial Rockets for my Tempest Mk.V. You are all free to take them from the Tempest Mk.V and pack it up with your own Wildcat VI.

dasuto247
July 23rd, 2015, 20:48
Dasuto,
If you have my FM-1 Wildcat, take the dp from there and rename it. It will work fine. It uses Dbolts weapons and Baldy's Depth Charges. its also set up to use Mauro's pilots and Bloodhawk's engine pack.
Bob

Will do, I believe I have it, if not, it is in the downloads section yes?

bub
July 23rd, 2015, 21:56
Dasuto,
Yes, it's there. Search under bub and you'll find it. You'll need the FM-1 as it should have all the files in it.
Bob

dasuto247
July 24th, 2015, 21:32
Dasuto,
Yes, it's there. Search under bub and you'll find it. You'll need the FM-1 as it should have all the files in it.
Bob

Thanks, it works but an issue is it makes two pilots show up.I looked over DP, shows pilot as a payload on multiple mounts.Delete him? Also, how do make it where rockets do not fire as a salvo ?

Allen
July 24th, 2015, 21:46
If your removing the pilot that is apart of the model you have to alpha him out with textures. The pilot use the stock us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp.

Weapns that are drop or fire in pairs or more.

; Payload = Bombs Medium
mount.1=wep_pylon_hellcat, 1, -1
mount.2=WEP_US_1000lb_GP, 1, 4
mount.3=wep_pylon_hellcat, 1, -1
mount.4=WEP_US_1000lb_GP, 1, -1

The number in boldnumber tell the game to drop the 1,000 bomb at the same time as it drops the 1,000 bomb listed on mount.4. When mount for is droped mount 2 will be as well.

bub
July 24th, 2015, 23:00
Dasuto,
You need Mauro's pilots installed. The two textures in the Texture file are alphaed out so the pilot will show up. The game will read those two pilot textures first. It should all be in the Readme from the FM-1. I'll post how to do it later after I get home from work.
Bob

bub
July 25th, 2015, 14:39
Hi All,
First download Mauro's pilots. Found here at SOH. Install them following the readme directions. After that:
Find us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp in the CFS2\Texture folder. Take a copy of
both files & paste them into the Texture folder of the Wildcat. Then open the copies
in DXTBmp & change the Alpha Channel to black. (Alpha > Invert Alpha) 'Save As' in
Extended 555-1 format. (CFS2 reads textures in the aircraft Texture folder before
the main Texture directory.)
First add this extra mount under
[HARDPOINTS]
mount.xx=-0.03,0.23,-1.01
This is the first payload entry. (He will need adding to each Payload.)
[PAYLOAD.x]
; Payload = Guns Only
mount.xx=US_pilot, 1, 0
Don't forget to delete the CDP file before trying it in CFS2. These numbers will work in any other stock Wildcat, the B24 Guys OH Wildcats and Allens FM-2. Also, if you have my FM-1 or Gramps, "Mah Baby" FM-2, I believe all the files were included. If you don't want to use this, or any other, just delete them from the dp.
Hope this explains it.
Bob

hewman100
July 27th, 2015, 00:24
As far as I've been able to ascertain the Wildcat was only trialed with rockets, both British Mk1 rails and American Mk5 zero-length rails. They weren't used operationally by the FAA as the Fireflies were able to carry eight to the 'cats six.
She was also only able to carry 2 x 250lb bombs or 2 x 220 litre tanks. I don't think bombs were carried operationally either as we were slinging much larger ordnance under Corsairs and Hellcats.

They didn't make it to the Pacific, the closest was with the East Indies Fleet.

bub
July 27th, 2015, 06:56
Thank you Ian,
Your research is appreciated. It should make a dp pretty easy, two mounts, two tanks. I should have a first draft off to you soon. I've been a little busy lately, family and such.
Thanks again,
Bob

dasuto247
July 27th, 2015, 18:59
Hi All,
First download Mauro's pilots. Found here at SOH. Install them following the readme directions. After that:
Find us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp in the CFS2\Texture folder. Take a copy of
both files & paste them into the Texture folder of the Wildcat. Then open the copies
in DXTBmp & change the Alpha Channel to black. (Alpha > Invert Alpha) 'Save As' in
Extended 555-1 format. (CFS2 reads textures in the aircraft Texture folder before
the main Texture directory.)
First add this extra mount under
[HARDPOINTS]
mount.xx=-0.03,0.23,-1.01
This is the first payload entry. (He will need adding to each Payload.)
[PAYLOAD.x]
; Payload = Guns Only
mount.xx=US_pilot, 1, 0
Don't forget to delete the CDP file before trying it in CFS2. These numbers will work in any other stock Wildcat, the B24 Guys OH Wildcats and Allens FM-2. Also, if you have my FM-1 or Gramps, "Mah Baby" FM-2, I believe all the files were included. If you don't want to use this, or any other, just delete them from the dp.
Hope this explains it.
Bob

DPED wont load it the FM for some reason, gives an error message.

bub
July 27th, 2015, 20:07
Dasuto,
Open the dp file in Notepad and hand edit it. That works just fine. What are you trying to do? It will help to know so we can fix it.
Bob

dasuto247
July 27th, 2015, 20:42
Dasuto,
Open the dp file in Notepad and hand edit it. That works just fine. What are you trying to do? It will help to know so we can fix it.
Bob

Just trying to add DB weapons(the FM-1 setup is fine, although would like a setup for 100lb bombs x 2 and 6 rockets) and get the "double pilot" issue solved.

bub
July 27th, 2015, 22:17
Dasuto,
Give me a little time and I'll post a fix for you. Its been a long day and I'm going to bed. I'll look at it in the morning.
Bob

bub
July 29th, 2015, 07:03
Dasuto,
Here's the modified dp entries. Delete the one's you have now and insert these. They work fine on my FM-2. Also, if you have these textures in your FM-2 Wildcat Textures folder, us_pilot_1 and us_pilot_2, DELETE them. That will solve your double pilot problem.

[HARDPOINTS]
mount.0=0,0.054,-0.311
mount.1=-1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.2=-1.55,0.6,-0.38 // L drop tank
mount.3=1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.4=1.55,0.6,-0.38 // R drop tank
mount.5=-1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.6=1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.7=-1.55,-0.47,-0.50
mount.8=1.55,-0.47,-0.50
mount.9=4,-0.2,-0.02
mount.10=3.57,-0.22,-0.04
mount.11=4.38,-0.17,-0.04
mount.12=-3.96,-0.2,-0.04
mount.13=-3.57,-0.22,-0.04
mount.14=-4.4,-0.17,-0.04
mount.15=4,-0.200,-0.04
mount.16=3.57,-0.220,-0.04
mount.17=4.38,-0.170,-0.04
mount.18=-3.96,-0.200,-0.04
mount.19=-3.57,-0.220,-0.04
mount.20=-4.4,-0.170,-0.04
[PAYLOADS]
payload.0=%payload_name.0%
payload.1=%payload_name.1%
payload.2=%payload_name.2%
payload.3=%payload_name.3%
payload.4=%payload_name.4%
payload.5=%payload_name.5%
payload.6=%payload_name.6%
payload.7=%payload_name.7%
payload.8=%payload_name.8%
[PAYLOAD.0]
; Payload= Guns Only
[PAYLOAD.1]
; Payload = Guns Only Long Range
mount.1=wep_pylon_us_cl, 1, -1
mount.2=wep_us_FM2wdct_drop_gp, 1, 4
mount.3=wep_pylon_us_cl, 1, -1
mount.4=wep_us_FM2wdct_drop_gp, 1, -1
[PAYLOAD.2]
; Payload = Bombs 250 lb
mount.5=WEP_DB_US_250lb_GP_a, 1, 6
mount.6=WEP_DB_US_250lb_GP_a, 1, -1
[PAYLOAD.3]
; Payload = Bombs 100 lb
mount.5=WEP_DB_US_100lb_GP_a, 1, 6
mount.6=WEP_DB_US_100lb_GP_a, 1, -1
[PAYLOAD.4]
; Payload = Depth Charges
mount.7=wep_Mk53_depth_bomb, 1, 8
mount.8=wep_Mk53_depth_bomb, 1, -1
[PAYLOAD.5]
; Payload = Rockets
mount.9=WEP_DB_us_rocket_pylon_c, 1, -1
mount.10=WEP_DB_us_rocket_pylon_c, 1, -1
mount.11=WEP_DB_us_rocket_pylon_c, 1, -1
mount.12=WEP_DB_us_rocket_pylon_c, 1, -1
mount.13=WEP_DB_us_rocket_pylon_c, 1, -1
mount.14=WEP_DB_us_rocket_pylon_c, 1, -1
mount.15=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.16=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 15
mount.17=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 15
mount.18=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 15
mount.19=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 15
mount.20=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 15
[PAYLOAD.6]
; Payload = Droptanks and Rockets
[PAYLOAD.7]
; Payload = Bombs 250 lb and Rockets
[PAYLOAD.8]
; Payload = Bombs 100 lb and Rockets
[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=1
category=1
allegiance=3
max_group_size=8
min_speed=200
cruise_speed=235
max_speed=607
min_alt=50
cruise_alt=5893
max_alt=8839
entered_service=6/6/43
crew=1
[STRINGS]
"box_name.0"=Muso
"box_name.1"=Fusoliera
"box_name.2"=Pilota
"box_name.3"=Ala sinistra
"box_name.4"=Estremità ala sinistra
"box_name.5"=Ala destra
"box_name.6"=Estremità ala destra
"box_name.7"=Coda (ant.)
"box_name.8"=Coda (post.)
"box_name.9"=Equilibratore sinistro
"box_name.10"=Equilibratore destro
"box_name.11"=Timone
"system_name.0"=Struttura muso
"system_name.1"=Serbatoio olio
"system_name.2"=Motore
"system_name.3"=Serbatoio liquido idraulico
"system_name.4"=Pilota
"system_name.5"=Apparati radio
"system_name.6"=Serbatoio centrale carburante
"system_name.20"=Serbatoio carburante destro
"system_name.12"=Serbatoio carburante sinistro
"system_name.7"=Struttura fusoliera
"system_name.8"=Cavo comandi timone
"system_name.9"=Sgancio bomba
"system_name.32"=Bomba
"system_name.10"=Cavo comandi equilibratore
"system_name.11"=Struttura ala sinistra
"system_name.13"=Mitragliatrici di sinistra
"system_name.14"=Flap sinistro
"system_name.15"=Cavo comandi alettone sinistro
"system_name.16"=Carrello sinistro
"system_name.17"=Struttura estremità ala sinistra
"system_name.18"=Alettone sinistro
"system_name.19"=Struttura ala destra
"system_name.21"=Mitragliatrici di destra
"system_name.22"=Flap destro
"system_name.23"=Cavo comandi alettone destro
"system_name.24"=Carrello destro
"system_name.25"=Struttura estremità ala destra
"system_name.26"=Alettone destro
"system_name.27"=Struttura (ant.) coda
"system_name.28"=Struttura (post.) coda
"system_name.30"=Equilibratore sinistro
"system_name.31"=Equilibratore destro
"system_name.29"=Timone
"payload_name.0"=Guns Only
"payload_name.1"=Guns Only Long Range
"payload_name.2"=Bombs 250 lb
"payload_name.3"=Bombs 100 lb
"payload_name.4"=Depth Charges
"payload_name.5"=Rockets
"payload_name.6"=Droptanks and Rockets
"payload_name.7"=Bombs 250 lb and Rockets
"payload_name.8"=Bombs 100 lb and Rockets

You'll need Kelti's Droptanks, Baldy's Depth Charges and Dbolts weaopns. Hope this works for you and solves the problem.
Bob

dasuto247
August 1st, 2015, 18:27
Thanks Bub, big help.Tested it and one issue.When I fire rockets, all 6 disappear but only two show up and impact target.Bug? How can make so they dont fire salvo and can fire individually? The original had some issue with rockets and I fixed it after instruction, cant remember how or if it would work here.

UPDATE: Okay, I actually found the fix in my PM's, so fixed the issue of all 6 not showing up.Now only thing is make it so can fire them individually instead of a salvo or both.

Blood_Hawk23
August 1st, 2015, 23:17
Try this...

First one (number 9) will ripple/volly fire all six in one salvo. Works best for strafing a large area. It will be in a right/left pattern.

The second (number 10) will Dual fire three times. You will have to select each new set after you fire them. Good for a CAS mission where you will have multiple targets. They will fire from inside-out.

NOTE: I adjusted the rocket hardpoints to allow for better visual effect (actually I kept getting confused while setting it up)

If you like one of them and want it for one of the other rocket setups, just copy and paste over it.

[HARDPOINTS]
mount.0=0,0.054,-0.311
mount.1=-1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.2=-1.55,0.6,-0.38 // L drop tank
mount.3=1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.4=1.55,0.6,-0.38 // R drop tank
mount.5=-1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.6=1.55,-0.3,-0.309969
mount.7=-1.55,-0.47,-0.50
mount.8=1.55,-0.47,-0.50
mount.9=3.57,-0.220,-0.04
mount.10=-3.57,-0.220,-0.04
mount.11=4.0,-0.200,-0.04
mount.12=-4.0,-0.200,-0.04
mount.13=4.40,-0.170,-0.04
mount.14=-4.40,-0.170,-0.04
mount.15=3.57,-0.220,-0.04
mount.16=-3.57,-0.220,-0.04
mount.17=4.0,-0.200,-0.04
mount.18=-4.0,-0.200,-0.04
mount.19=4.40,-0.170,-0.04
mount.20=-4.40,-0.170,-0.04

[PAYLOADS]
payload.0=%payload_name.0%
payload.1=%payload_name.1%
payload.2=%payload_name.2%
payload.3=%payload_name.3%
payload.4=%payload_name.4%
payload.5=%payload_name.5%
payload.6=%payload_name.6%
payload.7=%payload_name.7%
payload.8=%payload_name.8%
payload.9=%payload_name.9%
payload.10=%payload_name.10%

[PAYLOAD.0]
; Payload= Guns Only

[PAYLOAD.1]
; Payload = Guns Only Long Range

[PAYLOAD.2]
; Payload = Bombs 250 lb

[PAYLOAD.3]
; Payload = Bombs 100 lb

[PAYLOAD.4]
; Payload = Depth Charges
mount.7=wep_Mk53_depth_bomb, 1, 8
mount.8=wep_Mk53_depth_bomb, 1, -1
[PAYLOAD.5]
; Payload = Rockets

[PAYLOAD.6]
; Payload = Droptanks and Rockets

[PAYLOAD.7]
; Payload = Bombs 250 lb and Rockets

[PAYLOAD.8]
; Payload = Bombs 100 lb and Rockets

[PAYLOAD.9]
; Payload = Rockets (Salvo)
mount.17=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 16
mount.18=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 17
mount.19=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 18
mount.20=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 19

[PAYLOAD.10]
; Payload = Rockets (Dual)
mount.17=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.18=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 17
mount.19=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.20=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, 19

[MISC_DATA]
unit_family=1
category=1
allegiance=3
max_group_size=8
min_speed=200
cruise_speed=235
max_speed=607
min_alt=50
cruise_alt=5893
max_alt=8839
entered_service=6/6/43
crew=1

[STRINGS]
"box_name.0"=Muso
"box_name.1"=Fusoliera
"box_name.2"=Pilota
"box_name.5"=Ala destra
"box_name.7"=Coda (ant.)
"box_name.11"=Timone
"system_name.2"=Motore
"system_name.4"=Pilota
"system_name.32"=Bomba
"system_name.29"=Timone
"payload_name.0"=Guns Only
"payload_name.1"=Guns Only Long Range
"payload_name.2"=Bombs 250 lb
"payload_name.3"=Bombs 100 lb
"payload_name.4"=Depth Charges
"payload_name.5"=Rockets
"payload_name.6"=Droptanks and Rockets
"payload_name.7"=Bombs 250 lb and Rockets
"payload_name.8"=Bombs 100 lb and Rockets
"payload_name.9"=Rockets (Salvo)
"payload_name.10"=Rockets (Dual)

Blood_Hawk23
August 1st, 2015, 23:21
For one at a time use this...

[PAYLOAD.5]
; Payload = Rockets
mount.16=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.18=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.20=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1

kelticheart
August 6th, 2015, 02:25
Hey, John,

how did you manage to get a dp file with damage message strings in Italian?.... :biggrin-new:

[STRINGS]
"box_name.0"=Muso
"box_name.1"=Fusoliera
"box_name.2"=Pilota
"box_name.5"=Ala destra
"box_name.7"=Coda (ant.)
"box_name.11"=Timone
"system_name.2"=Motore
"system_name.4"=Pilota
"system_name.32"=Bomba
"system_name.29"=Timone

Cheers!

bub
August 6th, 2015, 04:12
Kelti,
I believe he may have gotten it from me, but don't quote me on it. I've been using the dp file, as a basis for my Wildcats, from when you did the FM-2 droptanks many moons ago. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks for many years of "borrowing" your stuff.
Cheers,
Bob
ps. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Blood_Hawk23
August 6th, 2015, 08:05
I don't know. I blame Bub.. LOL I saw it only after. Thats 3 different launguages in my DPs now. The other 2 are japanese and German. Atleast the German I can almost read it.

dasuto247
August 6th, 2015, 08:08
For one at a time use this...

[PAYLOAD.5]
; Payload = Rockets
mount.16=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.18=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1
mount.20=WEP_DB_us_5_rocket_navy_wired, 1, -1

Thanks for all your help:wavey:

Rami
August 6th, 2015, 10:03
Hey guys,

Well done. This is what makes CFS2 so fun, seeing all of us make common cause. :very_drunk:

kelticheart
August 7th, 2015, 00:18
Kelti,
I believe he may have gotten it from me, but don't quote me on it. I've been using the dp file, as a basis for my Wildcats, from when you did the FM-2 droptanks many moons ago. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks for many years of "borrowing" your stuff.
Cheers,
Bob
ps. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Hi Bub and Blood_Hawk23,

well, those strings are the exact technical translation in Italian of aircraft components.

In one of my very first exploring ventures of CFS2 inner secrets, I did check if they were the correct ones or not. This dp must be one of the first ones I worked on, when I moved around CFS2 legacy files very cautiously.

As soon as I could grab a dp file in English, and I felt more comfortable with what I was doing, I replaced those strings. To me, it looks weird when your system tells your Corsair "ala", instead of "wing", is on fire! It makes more sense if the aircraft were a Fiat G-50 or a M.C. 202, a better immersion factor for me.

Microsoft was one of the first software houses to apply good commercial practices translating their products for export purposes. It surely comes from my CFS2, bought here.

Look at it in this way, it's a fun way to learn some Italian for aviation buffs!

Should it bother you, - it would bother me for sure! :biggrin-new: - just copy the exact section from the stock F4F dp and overwrite it, they are the same.

It is me that I have to thank you and Allen for this wonderful FM-2 series! :adoration:

Cheers!

P.S.: Thank you for your wishes, the vacation was a wonderful R&R. Like all beautiful things in life.....too short!