PDA

View Full Version : Lest we forget

Dumonceau
June 14th, 2015, 04:18
In 1993-1994 a genocide was happening in Rwanda. I had the bad luck to serve there for my country. in the process I lost my best friend together with 10 colleagues/friends of the Belgian Para-Commando Regiment.

A friend just sent me this picture of the monument that was placed on site. It commemorates the 22 UN soldiers that lost their lives during the débâcle.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-65dDWcUCRQU/Tvyr0HP3JII/AAAAAAAAAOA/iUzqfbQcO88/s1600/DSCN0312.JPG

Please take a moment to honour these brave men that were there and who gave their lives for freedom, but who were also blocked from doing their jobs by the horrible rules of engagement that the UN imposed on us.

Lt. Debleecker
17th Company - 3rd Battalion
Para-Commando Regiment

Daveroo
June 14th, 2015, 09:45
Sir,thank you for your service to your country,and to the pursuit of freedom world wide.genocide is a horrible thing period,im sorry you had to be front rwo for the fight,but im truly glad you were able to walk away ,and im honored to know you,even if just here on SOH,but i feel you as everyone else on this ite, are brothers and sisters in the world.

i will spend this day thinking of,and mourning the 22 UN soldiers who died that day.

b52bob
June 14th, 2015, 16:29
My thoughts are with them and all that fight on the side of humanity. God give them grace.

Bob

Dumonceau
June 15th, 2015, 05:08
Thanks guys!

Johan

Paul Domingue
June 16th, 2015, 14:14
Johan, my sincerest gratitude for your service and deep sympathy for the loss of your comrades.
I used to think that things like this would never happen again after 1945 but the world can be so disappointing and we can only hope that poverty, ignorance, prejudice and greed can one day be overcome so that genocide will only remain in the history books.

TARPSBird
June 16th, 2015, 16:42
My son also served in Rwanda in 1994 with the 325th Airborne from Vicenza, Italy. Thank you for your service Dumonceau and my condolences for the price paid by your fellow Paras.