PDA

View Full Version : A cell phone question (downloading problem)

Navy Chief
June 11th, 2015, 16:22
Until about a month ago, I had a Apple IPod that I mostly used for downloading podcasts. It was great because I would listen to the recordings when going shopping (perfect for places like Walmart, where I truly dislike spending ANY time). Anyway, my IPod died, and new ones are ridiculously expensive. No way I will spend the cash on one again.

So......I got the idea of using my wife's old Motorola android cell phone with my wireless headset.
It's not act activated with Sprint anymore, but thought I could still use it to download podcasts, using the wireless network in my house.

Well, it does access the Internet, no problem. Can even watch YouTube videos. But when I try to download anything (such as a android app for podcasts), I get an error msg such as this:

"Error retrieving information from server.

[RPC:S-7:AEC-0 FVA2-ASF5-HR4XQ]

anyone have a clue how to remedy this? Thanks, NC

ViperPilot2
June 11th, 2015, 16:40
NC,

I think it's because downloading constitutes Data usage, and since the phone's not connected with a Data plan, you cannot download.

What about downloading the Podcasts on your home computer as .mp3 files, then transferring them to the Phone's SD Card? you could then use the Phone's media Player to play the Podcasts...

Just a thought.

Alan :encouragement:

Navy Chief
June 11th, 2015, 17:38
NC,

I think it's because downloading constitutes Data usage, and since the phone's not connected with a Data plan, you cannot download.

What about downloading the Podcasts on your home computer as .mp3 files, then transferring them to the Phone's SD Card? you could then use the Phone's media Player to play the Podcasts...

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, that does work, and apparently the only way I will be able to use it. But even with the extra hassle transferring the file to the SD card, it is a workaround.

To my knowledge, no one besides Apple makes a Bluetooth capable device like the iPod; not now. Samsung used to make one, but no more. Apple has the market cornered. And I hate iTunes. Pain the the a.. to use.

I refuse to pay the high cost for cell phone use, so a iPhone isn't gonna happen either.

Update:

Hmm, maybe possible?

http://androidforums.com/threads/transfer-apps-from-pc-to-phone.479942/

NC

ViperPilot2
June 11th, 2015, 19:39
NC,

Typically, Android devices (depending on the OS version) will be Bluetooth capable. My Samsung Galaxy SIII has it, and so does my Toshiba tablet.

You can take your USB Charging cord, plug it and your Phone into your Computer, and it should recognize your Phone as an External HD. You can load apps that way too.

Sounds like you have the situation well under control...

Navy Chief
June 11th, 2015, 19:51
NC,

Typically, Android devices (depending on the OS version) will be Bluetooth capable. My Samsung Galaxy SIII has it, and so does my Toshiba tablet.

You can take your USB Charging cord, plug it and your Phone into your Computer, and it should recognize your Phone as an External HD. You can load apps that way too.

Sounds like you have the situation well under control...

Am making progress at least. Many thanks for your advice! NC

Dumonceau
June 12th, 2015, 05:15
There is also this one:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/433573-google-play-services-outage-rpc-s-7-aec-0-error.html

Johan

Navy Chief
June 13th, 2015, 18:17
Ok, I am in major frustration mode.

I have downloaded and tried a couple file manager apps for the phone, which are supposed to install third party apps. So far, I am not able to get it to work.

All I keep getting is a popup message that says: "There is a problem parsing the package."

No matter what I do, this happens.

The apk file downloads to the sd card on the phone, no problem. But I am not able to install apps from it. GRRRRRRR.......

I do not want to admit defeat. NC

Navy Chief
June 14th, 2015, 05:20
I think, from what I have read thus far, is I will have to "root" my Motorola XPRT MB612 to get it to possibly do what I want.

Tedious process, it seems, but don't want to give up. Not yet. NC

ViperPilot2
June 14th, 2015, 05:55
NC,

It looks as if your Motorola phone is running Android version 2.2, which is fairly old. I found that some apps won't work as well, or as advertised on older phones with 2.2... even if they were listed as working with 2.2.

If you decide to go the 'Rooting' route, the big thing is to find a Mod that will work with the Hardware your particular phone has (CPU, RAM, etc.). Most of the Mods are specific to certain phones like HTC, Nexus, etc. so do your due diligence beforehand, to avoid the possibility of Bricking the phone. Cyanogen Mod is probably the best one to go with; they've been around the longest.

Hope this helps!

Navy Chief
June 14th, 2015, 06:31
NC,

It looks as if your Motorola phone is running Android version 2.2, which is fairly old. I found that some apps won't work as well, or as advertised on older phones with 2.2... even if they were listed as working with 2.2.

If you decide to go the 'Rooting' route, the big thing is to find a Mod that will work with the Hardware your particular phone has (CPU, RAM, etc.). Most of the Mods are specific to certain phones like HTC, Nexus, etc. so do your due diligence beforehand, to avoid the possibility of Bricking the phone. Cyanogen Mod is probably the best one to go with; they've been around the longest.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Alan,

I will check into Cyanogen Mod. I had not even considered what the specs are on my phone (CPU, RAM, etc...). I gather that info is in the settings? As for bricking the phone, it won't be the end of the world for me, as am not using it as a phone. But it would be cool to be able to download podcasts with it. NC

Navy Chief
June 14th, 2015, 06:36
All I want to be able to do, literally, is download a podcast app so I can download a podcast I listen to almost every day, without having to transfer the files from my PC. NC

Navy Chief
June 14th, 2015, 14:28
Found Cyanogenmod, but couldn't figure out how to download it.

I found program to "root" my phone, and it supposedly did it, but according to what I read, I need to install (in addition to that) a app which will allow me to uninstall the crap apps that came with the phone. So far, I am not able to do that.

Am no farther than I was, for the most part. If my phone is indeed "rooted", I have no idea what to do next! :banghead: NC

Navy Chief
June 14th, 2015, 16:23
I did some reading about using an old android phone as a iPod replacement. One article recommended the Motorola XT1028 Moto G. Found a refurbished one on Amazon for $50, with a 90 day warranty. I have a Prime account with Amazon, and they are really great about returns. I figure it's worth a try. The phone comes with android 4.3.

Will report results after I receive the phone.....,:encouragement: NC
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24130&stc=1