PDA

View Full Version : Quick airports question.

Willy
June 10th, 2015, 05:07
Is there a list anywhere of the airports that were changed in the transition from FS9 to FSX? I'm wanting to do some AI flight plans and want to make sure the AI gets to the right airport.

expat
June 10th, 2015, 06:09
Hey Willy,

Great to have you over here! The airport files, textures etc are not the same in FSX as those in FS9 for any airport as far as I know. You can however, with various results, port over some airport scenery to FSX (see below though before you do). For making up AI, the airport ICAO codes stay the same.

I pretty much just moved all my FS9 AI building tools over here and it all works pretty much the same way. Lee Swordy's TTool is essential - you will get an error message when trying to open it but disregard as it compiles Traffic.bgl's from the three text files the same way. Also, to make "AFCADS" (they're not called that anymore) you need Airport Design Editor. With that you can create or modify airport files, add parking, library objects, etc.

One word of caution - if you mix any FS9 Traffic files with FSX they will kill your AI and make it disappear. There are some conversion utilities around that simply convert FS9 > FSX Traffic files, including Airport Flight Planner. All freeware.

Been on an AI building binge out in the Solomon Islands the past few days.

expat

expat
June 10th, 2015, 06:22
. . not sure I answered your question exactly. I think I just copied from FS9 the "Collect FS2004 Airports" text file (which has all the airport locations) and used that in making up FSX Traffic.bgl's.

Bjoern
June 10th, 2015, 08:47
The .txt files included in FP_FS9_FSX could help:

"FS9DEL.txt which list the ICAO codes of the airports that are not present anymore in FSX and FS9CHG.txt which has the ICAO codes for the changed airports and the needed line for the airport.txt file."
http://aifs2.pvdveen.net/?page_id=33

There might still be a list from the very early FSX days out there which was compiled by Reggie Fields.

Willy
June 10th, 2015, 20:11
Thanks for the suggestions!

What I'm up to is I'm trying to get the CalClassic retro scenery and AI to work in FSX. I've just done the West Coast and the Ark-LA-Miss packs so far and it's looking pretty good and while I've got a few AI aircraft issues so far, I don't think it's anything I can't work out. But I'm trying to sort out just what airport ICAOs are still good for AI use. The CalClassic guys did a bunch of changes to begin with in FS9 and then the default changes made to FSX makes some AI flights that were originally written for FS9 a bit iffy. I just need to figure out what the changes are and adjust the flightplans accordingly.

That and I've got a little AI project of my own to add to the mix....