PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl+E vs Jet1 Switch

falcon409
June 9th, 2015, 05:50
I'll try to keep this from being longwinded because I'm not sure how to explain it. . .here goes;

I have an airplane that will start using ctrl+E (I actually use a button on my joystick mapped for "Autostart" but I believe that's the same thing). I had the brilliant idea to make up a "Switch Panel" as a pop-up and added a generator switch and Jet start switch for each engine (2), assuming that the Jet1 and Jet2 switches would accomplish the same function as "Autostart". That doesn't seem to be the case however as using the Jet start switch only get's the engine to spool up to a certain percentage and of course it's just short of engine start, lol. I can edit the xml for the switch in FSPanel Studio, but I have no idea if any of the numbers in that code will effect startup in the way I'm wanting. So my question is, is there anyone who knows why this isn't working, or knows how the xml code can be adjusted to produce the functions emulated by "Autostart"?

Bjoern
June 9th, 2015, 07:03
As far as I know, the autostart procedure does the following:

1.) Switch on the battery circuit
2.) Switch on the avionics
3.) Set the mixture to "rich"
4.) Open the fuel valves to the engine
5.) Engage the starter
6.) Disengage the starter when the engine is running

Failure to start is probably either due to step 3 or 4 missing.

And yes, MSFS jet engines react to the mixture setting.
That's why you can't start some birds up manually if your default flight is set to "mixture lean" and the panel coder did not take this into account.

henrystreet
June 9th, 2015, 09:52

That's why you can't start some birds up manually if your default flight is set to "mixture lean" and the panel coder did not take this into account.

Yes, this is the case on many "jet" aircraft.

falcon409
June 9th, 2015, 10:04
As far as I know, the autostart procedure does the following:

1.) Switch on the battery circuit
2.) Switch on the avionics
5.) Engage the starter
6.) Disengage the starter when the engine is running

Bjoern, in looking at the sequence. . .I have to think it's probably #4. As obvious as that is, it's something I didn't consider when setting up the pop-up. I'll give that a look when I get some time this evening. Thanks guys!

falcon409
June 10th, 2015, 06:32
Well, I moved this question over to FSDevelopers. I met all the criteria that Bjoern suggested was part of the ctrl+E startup sequence and still the engines will only spinup short of a full start. I still end up having to hit my "autostart" button on the joystick to complete the sequence.

Sieggie
June 10th, 2015, 06:45
It's possible you do not have the Turbine Ignition Switch set to true. There is a variable to test it (TURB ENG IGNITION SWITCH) and a key to set it (TURBINE_IGNITION_SWITCH_TOGGLE).

Dave

falcon409
June 10th, 2015, 07:13
It's possible you do not have the Turbine Ignition Switch set to true. There is a variable to test it (TURB ENG IGNITION SWITCH) and a key to set it (TURBINE_IGNITION_SWITCH_TOGGLE).

Dave
This is the xml for the Jet1 start switch:

Sieggie
June 10th, 2015, 07:52
It looks like the "General eng1 starter" should be "GENERAL ENG STARTER:1 or "GENERAL ENG STARTER ACTIVE" according to ESP docs. I have experienced instances when a command not quite right will prevent the entire command from executing and no indication of any failure is displayed. This may be the difference between an FS9 wording and FSX wording for the command.

Dave

falcon409
June 10th, 2015, 09:09
Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. There is something that ctrl+E does that a simple switch setup does not. No idea what that is as I've tried everything up to this point and nothing changes the slow spinup experienced with a switch. . . .but hit ctrl+E at that stage and. . . ."Houston, we have ignition", lol. Fuel is open, Mixture is rich, battery is on. . .hit the Jet Start switch and it will spin to a point of low RPM's and sit there. . .hit ctrl+E and off she goes. I'll continue to investigate but my comprehension factor is low with stuff like this (xml code) so it won't take long for me to trash the switches and go back to "autostart".

Bjoern
June 10th, 2015, 09:14
FSX still recognized the "old" form of the newer indexed variables for each engine. (A:General eng1 starter, bool) and (A:GENERAL ENG STARTER:1, bool) will deliver the exact same result.
Something that's frequently done wrong is spamming K: vars, or keystrokes. A keystroke should only be set once, except in cases in which you need to actively counteract against any user input.

Anyway, there are new suggestions in your FSDev thread, Ed.

falcon409
June 10th, 2015, 09:30
FSX still recognized the "old" form of the newer indexed variables for each engine. (A:General eng1 starter, bool) and (A:GENERAL ENG STARTER:1, bool) will deliver the exact same result.
Something that's frequently done wrong is spamming K: vars, or keystrokes. A keystroke should only be set once, except in cases in which you need to actively counteract against any user input.

Anyway, there are new suggestions in your FSDev thread, Ed.
Thanks Bjoern! As Roman pointed out, the xml for the Jet Start switch was toggling the starter on and off constantly rather than staying on so the 50% mark for startup was never reached. Got it corrected and startup with the switches works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help guys!

Navy Chief
June 10th, 2015, 11:10
Thanks Bjoern! As Roman pointed out, the xml for the Jet Start switch was toggling the starter on and off constantly rather than staying on so the 50% mark for startup was never reached. Got it corrected and startup with the switches works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help guys!

Ed, I like your startup switch idea! Am wondering if there would be a way to assign such functions to my Saitek Switch Panel?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23946&stc=1

Just a thought. Sitting in doc office at NAVHOSP, waiting to be seen. zZZZZzzzzzzzzz NC

falcon409
June 10th, 2015, 12:40
I don't know how that is programmed, but the ctrl+E (xml code) function will start #1 and then when it's up to speed it will start #2. So I guess it is possible.