PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnails in the Texture folders?

Willy
June 1st, 2015, 03:13
Ok, I've tried to make a few thumbnails with no success. What's the secret to it?

Tako_Kichi
June 1st, 2015, 03:24
The easiest way is to make the image a .jpg file with a size of 256x128 pixels, or doubles of that but the length to height ratio must remain the same (i.e. 2:1), and with the name 'thumbnail.jpg'. The image file is then placed in the correct texture folder. When done correctly it should replace the stock blank image in the aircraft selection menu.

Roger
June 1st, 2015, 04:06
Larry's technique works fine but there is a utility for the lazy, called "autothumbnail2 zip" available from Flightsim.com

expat
June 1st, 2015, 04:18
autothumbnail2 zip - you want this Willy - you will use it a lot and the manual route will get boring quickly!

papab
June 1st, 2015, 04:59
Give this one a try
Easy Thumbnails:
http://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails?3.0

Been using it for a year and it is easy and works great!
Rick

Bjoern
June 1st, 2015, 07:50
Autothumbnail will unfortunately also capture the menu from which it was called.

Any kind of image, regardless of size, can be used as a thumbnail as long as it is named "thumbnail.jpg".

Willy
June 1st, 2015, 17:38
Thanks guys! I had saved them at .bmp files.... Bit of a learning curve with FSX here.

jandjfrench
June 2nd, 2015, 01:28
Hi,
Autothumbnail works great and makes thumbnail creation effortless, and fun as well. However there is a problem if you have both the disc and Steam version of FSX installed. The Steam version will work fine but not the disc one. This is because the "Flight Simulator X Files" folder in "My Pictures is used for temporary storage of the captured image and autothumbnail simply looks for the first folder with "Flight Simulator X" to store the files and "Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" precedes "Flight Simulator X Files" so the wrong temporary folder is found and the resizing and formatting doesn't work. Fortunately there is a simple fix. Simply renaming the Steam folder temporarily so that it is not the first found solves the problem. For example "ZFlight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files" will solve the problem for the disc version. If you forget to restore the name to the original and capture a screenshot in Steam a new snapshot folder will be created and the disc version of Autothumbnail will not work once again. You'll quickly remember why.
Jim F.

thunder100
June 2nd, 2015, 02:02
there is annother solution

You move any jpg to the plane folder*-->like plane.jpg

you add to aircraft.cfg the line

ui_thumbnail=plane.jpg

Save and it should show up next time**

* as you load many of them later in your plane preview smaller size is better
**JPG works always.From time to time BMP works well too-but I could not find the trigger to that

Roland