PDA

View Full Version : Returning to CFS2

phrog_phixer
May 31st, 2015, 09:58
Hi folks...I installed CFS2 last night (old times sake) and everything seems ok except for this:

phrog_phixer
May 31st, 2015, 10:00
While the purple shadowing around the white lettering is more an annoyance more than a real problem...any ideas for a fix? Also, changing the display size within game seems to have no effect on game-font size or screen resolution...

Allen
May 31st, 2015, 10:11
Have this on my Win7 as well. I don't think there is a fix.

phrog_phixer
May 31st, 2015, 10:42
Thanks for your response...also, I just realized that my settings (in-game or pregame) have absolutely no effect on the display...I suspect it has something to do with how or where Win 7 installs the game files (maybe?).

Wayland
May 31st, 2015, 10:58
In XP you could go out into the settings for Windows and customize the desk top down to that point. I haven't a clue if you can do that in W7. It might be worth looking into, I'll take a shot at it when I have some free time.

Steve

UncleTgt
May 31st, 2015, 11:08
phrog_phixer,

Hardware capability has moved on such a long way since CFS 2 came out.

If you can find a way to view your graphical display options (Intel on-board in your case), you might find a way to tweak image quality. As it stands, you can select as much detail as you like in-game & it may not seem to make any difference because the PC graphics are way beyond what the programme options were able to give you anyways.

Apart from the pink/white text (we all seem to suffer with differing levels of that), are there any other obvious graphics issues that make you want to tweak the image quality? It seems the game is selecting max resolution & 32 bit colour, so it should give good results.

PS Just seen Wayland's reply. I would hold off messing with the desktop display options just yet.

Rami
May 31st, 2015, 11:14
Good afternoon,

If I recall, the pink lettering is actually indicative of an anti-virus conflict; in essence your PC is viewing some of the CFS2 files as enemies, even if it doesn't delete them.

Finn
May 31st, 2015, 12:04
I've got the same problem, and has learned to live with it. In my case I believe it started after my graphic card was updated with the newest driver. Unfortunately I never has been able to go back to the old driver, so I live with it - but if any of you geniusses find a masterly solution, I'll be VERY happy.:jump:
Finn

Browncoat
June 1st, 2015, 14:56
Have you tried turning Text Transparency off in Windows 7?

phrog_phixer
June 1st, 2015, 16:58

Not sure what you mean...where & how?

phrog_phixer
June 1st, 2015, 17:05

If you mean in Personalize\Window Color...tried that, no improvement though you may be on to something because the purple shadowing became worse :)

dvslats
June 2nd, 2015, 01:36

Hi phrog_phixer,

I'm fairly sure that this is what Browncoat is referring to. ClearType (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Typography/ClearTypeInfo.aspx)

I've tried turning this off in the past but reading anything on my monitor really became difficult.
This idea by MS was to have text on a LCD be as sharp as it was when CRT's were in use.

Looking at the illustration on the page pretty much shows what's going on, hence the red/purple font in CFS2's Uries.

Hope this clears things up some.

Cheerz, Dave

phrog_phixer
June 2nd, 2015, 07:03
dvslats and Browncoat....eureka! That actually worked, but as anticipated other fonts are affected (Outlook, etc.). Also, suddenly my CFS 2 is windowed (see graphic)...another for the Windows pros to solve... :wavey:

phrog_phixer
June 2nd, 2015, 07:15
Honey, I'm home!!!

kelticheart
June 3rd, 2015, 00:06
....Also, suddenly my CFS 2 is windowed (see graphic)...another for the Windows pros to solve...

Hi Phrog_phixer,

I am afraid that's something you will have to live with. As you can read here,

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?94050-NVidia-GTX970-woes

beyond XP, CFS2 is being forced to run in windowed mode.

You might want to try Bearcat241's excellent suggestion to partition the HDD and install a dual-system boot option, with a partition entirely dedicated to WinXP Pro and CFS2.
With this method, which I think I'll surely adopt when I'll be forced to move onto a newer hware platform, you will also be able to avoid all the headaches that might be caused by an antivirus application.

Since viruses are not known for being able to jump drives, and a partition is 'seen' by your OS as a physical drive, you will be able to have your XP-CFS2 partition entirely dedicated, without any other application interfering with it.

After you install XP, go in and delete every Net service-related file or program. Get rid of IE, Outlook and all of the stuff needed to connect. In this way there will be no danger that, by fluke or mistake, XP will sense the connection, which you will run under Win7 well protected by your AV of choice, and try to jump on the Net itself.
As an extra measure, do all of this configuring job with the connection wire unplugged or your local WiFi turned off.

Then, every addon you will download will be thoroughly checked by your AV under Win7 and you will be able to transfer the file(s) to your XP partition and use it.

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Blood_Hawk23
June 3rd, 2015, 15:27
Try this

Go into your fonts folder in Win7

Copy these fonts

arialnb.ttf
arialnbi.ttf
comic.ttf
comicbd.ttf
glassga.ttf
quartz.ttf

then paste them into your CFS2 folder. Not sure if it will help but it might. Figure these are the Win 95 versions in CFS2.

I just realized not everyone will have them. I'll see if I can find newer versions and upload them. I have a set but they are not for release. They are licensed. I know there are public versions out there.

_486_Col_Wolf
June 5th, 2015, 16:16
Phrog,

I had the pink font problem when I installed CFS2 on my Win7 Pro PC. I got so used to it that I just realized it's gone! It may have disappeared when I installed my Nvidea Geforce GTX 750 Ti graphics card, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's gone so maybe a better graphics card would help. Coulnd't hoit!

phrog_phixer
June 5th, 2015, 18:15
Thank you for your suggestions kelticheart, Blood_Hawk23, and _486_Col_Wolf; :applause: I used the suggestion from dvslats and the pink or purple text issue is now resolved. I do have a new post regarding weapons issues if you're interested...