PDA

View Full Version : XPlane PC Build

flyinjake
May 26th, 2015, 04:51
Well its getting close to that time where I am thinking about a PC build for XP. Let me go ahead and say money is an issue but I am willing to step out for performance. Keep in mind I am buiding a simpit and I may want more than one PC down the road.

Currently running a Q9650 OC'd to 3.3, 4GB RAM, SSD for XP and I cannot remember what AMD card I have. Seems like it was a 47XX series. Maybe a 5 series if that existed. Been looking for ram to up it to 8GB and possibly a newer video card but not in a rush to spend that on an older computer unless the price is right.

Yes, I like performance and eye candy...who doesn't?

I have not looked at computer hardware in sometime so I will admit I am clueless on some of the newer items.

I have an unused SSD in the tool box that I can use on this build but I am thinking about the PCIe SSD for XP and other sims/games.

Oh, it will be a Win 7 64bit machine and I would like to go with Nvidia this time.

Recomendations appreciated.

Jake

txnetcop
May 26th, 2015, 05:29
Jake I am still running my old Gigabyte X-48 DQ-6 with a QX9650, Samsung 840Pro 256 GB SSD, and a Gigabyte 780GTX on a Windows 7 platform oc'd to 4.2GHz and it runs everything I throw at it beautifully-very fluid. X-Plane, FSX, P3d, high graphics. I have built some fantastic i7 platforms but just have not seen a need to move up yet. However, if you really feel the need to move to the i7 platform. This is some pretty good reading, and normally I don't quote Computer Shopper. http://www.computershopper.com/feature/tested-five-intel-z97-motherboards-for-haswell. I have always preferred Maximum PC for my info on builds. I built this killer system for a friend for $1376 using only one GTX 780 and one Samsung 850PRO SSD. http://www.maximumpc.com/maximum-pcs-turbo-build-for-may-2015/
Good luck,
Ted

by the way it runs all the new HD graphics for X-Plane 10 scenery! They say will only work with 4GB video ram-WRONG!

flyinjake
May 26th, 2015, 05:46
Ted,

Maybe I need to change the title of this thread. I don't mind giving an upgrade a shot if it will bring some results.

That sounds like the MB I am using. Let me reply back later today when I am in front of the computer. I will have more specific information then.

Thanks

flyinjake
May 26th, 2015, 14:34
Ted,

This is what I currently have.
ATI Raddeon HD 4800 with 1GB memory.
Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Q9550 OC'd to 3.3GHz. I thought it was the Q9650 but its not.
RAM G SkillF2-9600CL5D-4GBTD
ThermalTake Case & 850W power supply
Win7 64bit

Currently I have SATA hard drive for the OS and an SSD for XP. I do have another SSD I could install for the OS if there would be a performance gain. One time I thought about upgrading the RAM (could not find any at decent price) and video card but felt like it may be better to use that money on new system.

Look forward to reccomendations.

Thanks

Jake

txnetcop
May 27th, 2015, 10:49
Ted,

This is what I currently have.
ATI Raddeon HD 4800 with 1GB memory.
Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Q9550 OC'd to 3.3GHz. I thought it was the Q9650 but its not.
RAM G SkillF2-9600CL5D-4GBTD
ThermalTake Case & 850W power supply
Win7 64bit

Currently I have SATA hard drive for the OS and an SSD for XP. I do have another SSD I could install for the OS if there would be a performance gain. One time I thought about upgrading the RAM (could not find any at decent price) and video card but felt like it may be better to use that money on new system.

Look forward to reccomendations.

Thanks

Jake

Jake that AMD HD4800 while not the fastest does do some nice high-end graphics. However, a faster GPU with 2GB of fast video ram will help a bunch before you start spending a lot of money on upgrades. Also, my QX9650 comes in real close the performance of the i5 2500k processor. I did a computer for Milton at SOH with Q9550 and know it to be a pretty quick 775 base processor when combined with a fast GPU and RAM memory. Let's face it though, to take real advantage of what is possible in FSX and X-PLANE 10 moving to the i7 platform 64 bit is a must do if you have the bucks to spend. Those articles I posted earlier give a good indication of what is possible at some pretty great prices.

flyinjake
July 13th, 2015, 07:44
I went ahead and purchased an MSI GTX 960 4GB to test with the current Q9550 system. POW, what a pleasant suprise! I should have documented my settings and FPS before I started raising the rendering settings. In my opinion the gains were huge, both FPS and raising the rendering options, for just changing out the card. Really did not expect that kind of improvement.

I was using KLWB as my base and most of my recent flights were in and out of there. Decided to fly out of KOPN and pass over KATL. Well it was not a slideshow like before but it did lower the FPS significantly. I was able to land and take off (Carenado Baron V3) and stay around 28 FPS.

One thing I noticed upon departure from KOPN is the blurry ground. The closer to KATL the worse it got. I do not see that when flying around KLWB.

Jake

txnetcop
July 14th, 2015, 12:05
Jake, FSX and X-Plane 10 are still very CPU and RAM memory intensive-not just VRAM. If you want to stay with the 775 socket set see if you can find a used or refurb QX9650. It has about the same horsepower as a i5 2500k. At 4.2 GHz mine still ROCKS both.
Ted

flyinjake
July 16th, 2015, 01:43
Well it was a test but with a backup plan. If the test did not show these results then I was going to keep the card and move it to another build. I probably will build another computer now that I have seen what is capable and how much better the sim experience can be. Not only are the visuals better but how the sim responds as a whole.

A quick question. AMD processors worth looking into?

txnetcop
July 16th, 2015, 04:39
Well it was a test but with a backup plan. If the test did not show these results then I was going to keep the card and move it to another build. I probably will build another computer now that I have seen what is capable and how much better the sim experience can be. Not only are the visuals better but how the sim responds as a whole.

A quick question. AMD processors worth looking into?

The last results I have seen say that the new line of AMD processors is just fine. They still lag behind Intel processors but it is not that much of a lag. Plus AMD overclocks like mad on a good motherboard and in most cases it will save you about $100 overall. The do tend to heat up a little more than the Intel processors, however. If you are going to use the new Nvidia GTX card though I would stick with with Intel.
Ted