PDA

View Full Version : Orbx global

papab
May 24th, 2015, 09:09
I have been kicking this around all month.........
With the sale coming to a close should I get Global?
I do not do a lot of GA VFR flying,so would it be a waste of my $$$$$?

I use both FSX & P3DV2.5

Thanks for any input
Rick

Dumonceau
May 24th, 2015, 09:40
IMHO you should! FTX Global transforms the world in both sims!

Johan

Stickshaker
May 24th, 2015, 09:44
Agreed, FSX almost looks like a new sim. I hardly ever fly above 5.000 ft, but in any case below that, and when taking off and landing, FTXGlobal is worth every penny. The only danger: you might become addicted to more ORBX products!

ShawnG
May 24th, 2015, 09:52
I have been kicking this around all month.........
With the sale coming to a close should I get Global?
I do not do a lot of GA VFR flying,so would it be a waste of my $$$$$?

I use both FSX & P3DV2.5

Thanks for any input
Rick

FTX Global is very good for airliner flying. The individual regions are focused on GA, but Global just makes the rest of the world look better, including from 30,000 feet. also, if you fly in europe, the open LC EU is fantastic as well. you may or may not want vector for coastlines, roads and stuff, if you get that, make sure you have a more accurate mesh than fsx default.

I have two setups, my fsx:se installation is strictly airliner with global, vector and open LC I have p3d setup for GA only with all the regions.

global has a triple installer, so you can use in both sims.

papab
May 24th, 2015, 12:30
Thanks for the input!
rick

Bushpounder
May 24th, 2015, 12:34
I think it is well worth it (and I paid top dollar for mine!!) and if you use ORBX scenery, it is all created using Global. It's a win-win.

Don

manfredc3
May 24th, 2015, 16:57
I can only say that FTXGlobal transformed my flight simulator to a new level, and on top of that it gave me a FPS increase, which is always welcome.

Oh, and even for non frequent VFR flyers, it is always nice seeing great areal scenery when departing or arriving at an airport, or even when climbing or descending though the clouds.

papab
May 24th, 2015, 17:02
Thank you all for your input
I am going to purchase Global on you recommendations!
Rick

rezn550
May 24th, 2015, 17:16
i had the same question last year

this movie shows the differences at the best i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCNtM6YxgEk

now i think ftx global is my most important addon... can't play without it now

FlameOut
May 24th, 2015, 17:27
Yes, go for it !

I just installed Global + Vector today after I jumped on the sale back on May 2nd.

It took that long to get here ( Heart of Dixie ) from the Down Under FlightSim Store.

It really does change FSX for the better. :applause:

I'm sure I'll have to update the libraries and stuff.

Lewis-A2A
May 25th, 2015, 03:00
Yes a must for me too, global and vector are just great sim transformations.

cheers,
Lewis

papab
May 25th, 2015, 05:32
i had the same question last year

this movie shows the differences at the best i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCNtM6YxgEk

now i think ftx global is my most important addon... can't play without it now

Thanks for the link!
It really shows the difference with low and slow flying...
Rick

dharris
May 25th, 2015, 06:54
I have a lot of Orbx scenery,NA Fiords Gold region and lots of airports in them. I also use FEX UTX GEX so always have to switch with Central depending on the region. With Global, do you still have to switch back and forth, or being global are all the textures now united? Thanks

kiki
May 25th, 2015, 07:10
Is it possible (and any reason) to buy these parts one by one? The price is still pretty high... What would be the first one? Would it make much difference by itself?

Dumonceau
May 25th, 2015, 07:12
Through FTX Central v2.0 you can put the whole sim in Hybrid mode. Thereby enabling all the regions!

Cheers,

Johan

dharris
May 25th, 2015, 07:48
How do you do that? Have Central open but can only select default or North America does not show anything about hybrid

Meshman
May 25th, 2015, 08:52
Hi there, Don!

Since you don't have Global you won't see the Hybrid option. You'll only see the regions you have and default. Global adds worldwide textures and when you were to turn on Hybrid, those would show wherever you flew. If you just wanted to show a region's textures when flying in that area, you would need to switch from Hybrid back to that particular region.

HTH,

Mr. Grumpy :untroubled:

manfredc3
May 25th, 2015, 09:56
Is it possible (and any reason) to buy these parts one by one? The price is still pretty high... What would be the first one? Would it make much difference by itself?

If you buy them one at a time (which makes absolute sence when the budget only reaches so far) I suggest the following order:

FTX Global -> Vector -> Open LC.

Duckie
May 25th, 2015, 11:29
Well, you guys sealed the deal for me! I just joined the ORBX community. Global and Vector purchased and installed. I have to say I am NOT disappointed. Very smooth and really does improve the looks of the sim immensely! No regrets. :encouragement::encouragement:

Roger
May 25th, 2015, 12:37
Don't forget to run the latest (freeware) library.

papab
May 25th, 2015, 13:02
Thank you very,very much to all of you for taking the time to answer my post on ORBX Global!
As I type, my Sim Machine(Jetline) is downloading both Global and Vector......

I will report back my findings after installing and updating the Libraries...

Rick

Lewis-A2A
May 25th, 2015, 15:04
Remember to run the latest orbx libraries as someone has already mentioned earlier, but also its worth picking up some of the freeware/Demo's from FTX too!

cheers,
Lewis

Duckie
May 25th, 2015, 15:06
Don't forget to run the latest (freeware) library.

Thanks Roger. I actually read that little CAUTION in the free airport install script and did as it said! Stil got a couple issues with a couple of the free airports but I'm sure it's probably something I did (or didn't) do!

Anyway, lovin' it!

ejoiner
May 25th, 2015, 15:28
Well, you guys sealed the deal for me! I just joined the ORBX community. Global and Vector purchased and installed. I have to say I am NOT disappointed. Very smooth and really does improve the looks of the sim immensely! No regrets. :encouragement::encouragement:

The Orbx/Full Terrain stuff is worth every nickel. Simply fantastic. And definitely get their large lot of freeware airports. Also the trees are worth buying.

One warning....typical Orbx airport is a gigabyte. Typical regional scenery is about 5GB. So, you will need to be prepared to dedicate some HD space. I keep FSX on its own 1TB hot swappable HD, but am now thinking actively about getting a bigger one and the headache of how to swap all that stuff over.

Orbx is awesome, but takes up A LOT of room. But the eye candy is marvelous. Particularly if you like to get down in the weeds, fly helicopters, or other slow stuff as I do from time to time, when I get burned out by heavy switchology.

papab
May 25th, 2015, 15:46
Remember to run the latest orbx libraries as someone has already mentioned earlier, but also its worth picking up some of the freeware/Demo's from FTX too!

cheers,
Lewis
Thanks Lewis
I did run the libraries
Off to look for some Orbx freeware
BTW Can on wait to fly your 182 in Global!
Rick

Duckie
May 25th, 2015, 15:53
I've only had about an hour with it but was able to determine all of the major highways and primary surface streets that I'm very familiar with are pretty much were they are supposed to be, including the bridges and over passes! Very pleased with that. Again, it looks just awesome!

Next gonna take a look at these free airports I installed. Found a few that are floating in space, and since I probably won't fly to or from the majority of them I'll just delete the offending airports to save some of that space you referred to!

papab
May 25th, 2015, 16:08
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
What a fantastic improvement to FSX and P3D

Now off to explore.....
Rick

PHo17
May 25th, 2015, 21:59
The difference from default FSX to Orbx is very obvious.

I am running UTX and GEX which look also much better than default scenery.

Anyone can compare these addons? Is it worth changing to Orbx?

Pekka

Lewis-A2A
May 26th, 2015, 02:09
I've only had about an hour with it but was able to determine all of the major highways and primary surface streets that I'm very familiar with are pretty much were they are supposed to be, including the bridges and over passes! Very pleased with that. Again, it looks just awesome!

Next gonna take a look at these free airports I installed. Found a few that are floating in space, and since I probably won't fly to or from the majority of them I'll just delete the offending airports to save some of that space you referred to!

Make sure to run the Vector control program when you install new airports it will scan and then give you the choice to fix elevation issues with the click of a button. You can also turn these fixes ON/OFF with a button click too.

thanks,
Lewis

Duckie
May 26th, 2015, 05:16
Make sure to run the Vector control program when you install new airports it will scan and then give you the choice to fix elevation issues with the click of a button. You can also turn these fixes ON/OFF with a button click too.

thanks,
Lewis

Thanks Lewis. Unfortunately, the problem does seem to be with elevation on a couple dozen of the free FTX airports so I just turned off the elevation fixes for these airports through the Vector Control Panel as you suggested and that did the trick.

Now, on to more sight seeing!

lownslo
May 26th, 2015, 06:09
The difference from default FSX to Orbx is very obvious.

I am running UTX and GEX which look also much better than default scenery.

Anyone can compare these addons? Is it worth changing to Orbx?

Pekka

Like you I have (had!) UTX and GEX. They are both very good, and I'm glad I bought them. But I have all the Orbx NA regions, and the fit between them and GEX can sometimes be problematical. Orbx's current sale allowed me to try Global at a great price, and I haven't looked back! I still have UTX because I prefer what it brings to my simming experience, but GEX has given way to Global. Not that I don't like GEX... I just like Global more! So... if you enjoy Orbx Regions and Airports, then Global is an easy choice.

HTH

Greg

ejoiner
May 26th, 2015, 07:39
Duckie, I am just praying one day somebody will do an Orbx version of Atlanta. The default ATL is so bad in FSX that it does not actually represent the city accurately at any period. I dont fly in our home area because of it. pisses me off to no end.

vora
May 26th, 2015, 13:49
Duckie, I am just praying one day somebody will do an Orbx version of Atlanta. The default ATL is so bad in FSX that it does not actually represent the city accurately at any period. I dont fly in our home area because of it. pisses me off to no end.
For that you should consider UTX, not OrbX. I'd call the chances of a Georgia OrbX region quite slim, even if it would be several years away. OpenLC NA will be released this year but that will have a 1km x 1km grid of landclass tiles while UTX uses vectorized urban landclass (and only urban LC!). Vectorized landclass is the next best thing to a photoscenery.

Duckie
May 26th, 2015, 16:53

Yeah, it would be nice but probably most folks feel the same about their home towns. I don't spend a lot of time flying or site seeing over big cities because none of them look very convincing in sim to me. Now, that is just my opinion and it is not meant to offend anyone. I do enjoy looking closely at the airport facilities I'm familiar with and landmarks, natural and manmade. So there's where I wish the accuracy and faithful representations were. There are some good ones of those out there but I wish there were more.

Dimus
May 26th, 2015, 23:27
For that you should consider UTX, not OrbX. I'd call the chances of a Georgia OrbX region quite slim, even if it would be several years away. OpenLC NA will be released this year but that will have a 1km x 1km grid of landclass tiles while UTX uses vectorized urban landclass (and only urban LC!). Vectorized landclass is the next best thing to a photoscenery.

ORBX OpenLC Europe features vectorized urban landclass too. I guess US will be similar. My home country has come alive with towns and villages at the correct location and shape as well as correct looking autogen buildings. As you say, the next best thing to photoscenery in terms of realism but also much smaller in size on your HD.

Lewis-A2A
May 26th, 2015, 23:40
Thanks Lewis. Unfortunately, the problem does seem to be with elevation on a couple dozen of the free FTX airports so I just turned off the elevation fixes for these airports through the Vector Control Panel as you suggested and that did the trick.

Yes the tool will need to run to correct on all airfields including the FTX ones, as they will be created for the default stuff to be compatible with as many users as possible I guess. I had to run it to correct some errors for my England FTX region.

And on the OpenLC Europe landclass, I guess that is next on my list!

thanks,
Lewis