PDA

View Full Version : FSDSv2 and Windows 7

baldy
May 21st, 2015, 01:27
Recently bought a new set-up (old one on last legs ) - Windows 7 Home Premium ( 64 bit ) now I find FSDSv2 (on external hard drive ) is completely unresponsive - the best I get is demo-mode - any attempt to reinstall is met by an incompatibility message -- has anyone met and overcome this problem ? I'd be grateful for any help on this -- just when I was thinking of doing another bird.

baldy

wolfi
May 21st, 2015, 03:40
Yes, it works fine in demo mode but you can’t convert to mdl, - but you can save the “fsc” file so your work isn’t gone. Unfortunately it’s impossible to register the program (to enable the converting to MDL feature) for what reason ever. The program runs normal on windows 7 and windows 8 32bit Systems.
You can open all “fsc” files with FSDS3.5 which works on 64bit systems! Vice versa FSDS2.4 opens all “fsc” files created with FSDS3.5, so both FSDS programs are compatible.

If you create FS2004 or FSX aircraft; FSDS3.5 is the better choice, for CFS2 it’s easier to work with FSDS2.4 because you can convert to MDL directly and you have all the damaged and breaking parts settings in it.

I personal use Windows 8.1 64bit for everything but have an additional Windows 7 32bit system setup only for CFS2 and FSDS2.4

Maybe you need the “ Update to fix MWGFX problem with FSDS2” you will find it on Martin Wright’s Website (Link below)

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

You can find the "fix" at the left side under "Specials"
wolfi

baldy
May 21st, 2015, 05:17
thanks for the prompt reply - does this mean I am unable to use FSDSv2 because mine is a 64 bit system ? Will check out Martin's fix

thanks again

baldy

wolfi
May 21st, 2015, 05:28
Not unable! you can create aircraft, objects and so on, but you can’t convert it to MDL, therefore you must register the Program. To register the program is not possible for what reason ever!
Martin Wright’s Fix isn’t always necessary, and did not fix the 64bit issue; it’s a fix for texture issues, if the Textures don’t appear in the pre view window.
wolfi

baldy
May 21st, 2015, 05:44
seems like I'm stuck and can't create a flyable aircraft with my set up - thanks for the info anyway

baldy

pstrany
May 22nd, 2015, 21:37
I've played around with this a bit, tried everything I could think of, in Win7, Win8, and Win10 and couldn't get it to work. Even tried creating an XP virtual machine, I actually got FSDS to install, but couldn't get the DirectX to render properly, so all I had to work with was a wire frame.

My solution was to drag an old box off the shelf and do an XP install. Works flawlessly. I keep it isolated from the internet, so I don't have to worry about security vulnerabilities, and it is never used for much of anything else. I have CFS2 and pretty much all of my other tools on my Win81 machine, and it all works fine.

Wish I could offer some clever solution, or crafty work-around, but I wasn't able to find one. Maybe someone else will solve the problem, but I do offer my solution (build yourself an XP box) as a simple but effective solution.

Paul

wolfi
May 22nd, 2015, 23:02
In the moment I work on an old PC updated with Windows 8.1 32bit, and FSDS2.4 works fine (picture below). At my PC main (home) PC I run Windows 8.1 64bit, as Paul said, there is no way to run FSDS2.4 properly. Maybe there are incompatibilities with the newer win-8 hardware driver’s. So I setup an actual window 7 32bit as a second operating system and installed Fsds2.4 and it works fine.

As I said before, FSDS3.5 works fine on Windows 64bit systems and is backwards compatible to FSDS2.4
If you see only wireframes in the Pre view Windows you need Martin Wrights MWGFX Fix

wolfi

baldy
May 23rd, 2015, 00:22
'preciate your time and comments guys - you've both given me something to think about.

baldy