PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Little Secrets

fsxar177
May 19th, 2015, 12:44
Preface; Please read the entirety of the post, before remarking in response.

About 14 years ago, I was developing a freeware FS utility, at the time being designed for FS2000. Out of nowhere, I get a letter from Mattel Inc. (http://www.mattel.com/), asking me in no uncertain terms, to abandon the project. Why? Had I stepped on a license I wasn't aware of? Had I done anything illegal? No! I was taking BUSINESS away from Mattel. Go-figure! They gave me to alternative, and the project was canceled.

This left a real sour taste in my mouth. The 'big-guy', stepping on the 'little-guy', when the little guy had virtually nothing to gain.

Well, the sour taste remains. There are certain companies, in payware FS development circles, that are doing exactly what Mattel had done. These companies hate the thought of the competitors in the industry, even remotely tapping into their client-base. Maybe the competitor is a lesser-name payware group, or even a freeware developer!

I know they are trying to operate like a business. I get it. But here's three things the FS consumer community should be aware of. Consider this your 'consumer reports' read of the day, and maybe it will save you $$$ down the line.

1.) Some companies WILL lie to you!
Maybe it's in the fine print. Maybe it's on the front-page. Either way. Unfortunately, some FS companies make habit of lying to you. Maybe it's regarding their support status? Maybe their installers? (reference FSX vs. P3D...why do you have to pay twice, really), maybe in regards to a bug in the software? Maybe false advertising regarding a product? Regardless, let's face it, some outrageous claims are made. Furthermore, let us understand these deceptive tricks, and lies, are used to target the consumer. (That's you!) The end result? Hopefully more $$$ in the pocket of the developer... Shame on them!

At this point we might ask ourselves, WHY? Isn't this just a tight, friendly community? For the most part, yes. It really is. But contrariwise, the truth is, there are some sharks, and their bite is MEAN.

The spokesperson for one big-name company, of which I won't name, even threatened your's truly with a severe beating, had I shed light on their corrupt business practices. This is the underlying filth that populates, and unfortunately, cripples the community. This individual is hailed and praised across the entire community. And people simply don't know.

2.) Beware they who stomp.
Some folks in the development community, really like to stomp on the little guys. These people disdain the announcement of a new freeware aircraft or scenery. They despise the praise of another developer. (Even if that developer is strictly a hobbyist). Further, they will go so far as to actually steal the work of a freeware developer, for their own monetary gain. I have seen this numerous times. It mostly go's un-noticed. As a developer myself, I have the ability, and tools necessary to constantly study the mechanics behind complex systems, codes, and development techniques. It's always a bit fascinating to see someone's else's work, at the core, who isn't even credited. And remember, the theft sells this stuff!

3.) Keep eye on the generous words!
Ever come across a random post, on an FS related forum? The new user only has a few posts to his record, but now suddenly he's saying something like; "I just bought the XXX XXX, and WOW! I'm amazed! I fly the XXX in the real world, and XXX did a perfect job with it! It's perfect! I'm going to buy more from XXX"...

Really?

Guess what.. people believe this stuff. It's all over the place..and people believe it!
It's always a dead give-away when the real developer replies with his grin and positive remarks.

I have experience in internet research, and detective work. I see through this kind of nonsense so quickly... Certain products, constantly getting hailed. Weekly sometimes. Meanwhile, there's a genuine user, and costumer, who would love some feedback or support from the developer. What does he get? The silent treatment. I once emailed a developer, asking for a solution to a simple bug. The reply? "Go leave me a private message at the forum". ?? What? Can't get a word through. Fishy? Very.

Bottom line. Stay safe out there guys! When companies do things like this, it's all part of their marketing strategy. It's pretty ugly. Do your research, don't believe everything to see. And happy flying!

- Joseph

IanP
May 19th, 2015, 13:37
And some "little fry" steal entire chunks of "bigger fishes'" property or code, then cry and act all offended when caught, then accuse people trying to help them get out of the holes they've dug themselves of "threatening them".

Also, some "developers" post so offensively on other developers' forums that they get chased out by people who really do know better, so they spend a lot of time trying to bad mouth that company on other sites, until that site slaps them down too...

I'm not naming any names either. I can be as childish as they are, when I want to be. :)

Ian P.

KellyB
May 19th, 2015, 13:46
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

DaveB
May 19th, 2015, 14:14
Hmm.. I've read the post a few times and I really don't know what to say. We all know that stuff 'goes on' as it were whether it's payware dev's 'borrowing' from freeware dev's, freeware dev's borrowing from payware dev's or any mix of these. You had a bad day Joseph?? Hope it gets better:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

Roger
May 19th, 2015, 14:21
Joseph, I can see only one way that this thread will go and that is rapidly down hill. Beyond Mattel no names are mentioned and all that is left is conjecture, hypothesis and conspiracy theories. We have no advertising so no affiliation with any pay vendors so as I close this thread, bear in mind that I do this to protect SOH only.