PDA

View Full Version : New video card

kiki
May 18th, 2015, 20:25
I did update my PC. Performance was not bad but not the best possible. With my limited budget I got a AMD Radeon HD 7700 as my new video card. I am not quite happy with the result. I do see too much flickering and some stuttering. Scenery blurrings are not as bad as earlier. How do I find best settings for my new video card? Does anyone of you have experinces on that cars? What are your settings?

fsxar177
May 18th, 2015, 20:55
Should have went Nvidia.

kiki
May 18th, 2015, 22:37
Should have went Nvidia.

Perhaps so. Anyway that comment didnīt help me much, sorry. Any one able to be more helpful?

heywooood
May 18th, 2015, 23:09
You will want to search (engine) for fsx tweaks for ati or amd users
and parse through them for tweaks to both your graphics settings and the FSX .cfg for best results
sorry there are no short cuts and no easy answers as so much
depends on all of your specific PC spec's
I think it was established a while back that FSX works better with Nvidia but there
are a few ATI card holders around here...maybe

Stefano Zibell
May 19th, 2015, 01:19
If you play anything else at all, forget that nvidia only crap. You should wait next month for AMD's new lineup and see what's best for your money. It's what I'm doing.

I'm one of the AMD users here. For the record, Steam Edition works way better than the boxed did.

Remember, being brand-fixated is bad for your pockets.

CG_1976
May 19th, 2015, 01:52
I only use AMD since Day 1 SOH and FSX. Two computer's and one has Nvidia and the other ATI R5 230 2g's that flies and screams like heck on FSX/SE:very_drunk: with Ifly 747V2/737. I agree 110% with Stefano.

heywooood
May 19th, 2015, 07:20
Well there you go - two AMD users....unfortunately they were not
very helpful to you either as both only spoke of the "rivalry" between
AMD and Nvidia but offered you no guidance on the card you
already bought or the settings and tweaks they use....
ooops

kiki
May 19th, 2015, 08:03
Well there you go - two AMD users....unfortunately they were not
very helpful to you either as both only spoke of the "rivalry" between
AMD and Nvidia but offered you no guidance on the card you
already bought or the settings and tweaks they use....
ooops
That's just what happened... Well, now I know. Video cards bring up the emotions.

I did find some help elsewhere and after few hours of tweeking I am happy with the result. There is nothing wrong with this video card, you just need to find right settings.

Dumonceau
May 19th, 2015, 08:04
I'm an Nvidia user, but found this that might help:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

As with most GFX card, it's the drivers. remove the old ones, install the latest ones and start tweaking the FSX.cfg file.

This might help on the tweaks: http://flightsimeindhoven.nl/?p=8839

If it doesn't, PM me. I'll be more than happy to help. But sorry, I'll need more info on your rigs specs!

Take care,

Johan

heywooood
May 19th, 2015, 08:07
very good - I think the favoritism one way or the other is misplaced at best - a long time ago there was a consensus on FSX and Nvidia over AMD for GPU choice but I think enough development
has occurred to render that opinion outdated.

glad you were able to find the information you needed.

since FSX is CPU intensive more so than on the GPU it makes sense that the choice of mfg would make virtually no difference at this point.

kiki
May 19th, 2015, 10:39
I'm an Nvidia user, but found this that might help:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

As with most GFX card, it's the drivers. remove the old ones, install the latest ones and start tweaking the FSX.cfg file.

This might help on the tweaks: http://flightsimeindhoven.nl/?p=8839

If it doesn't, PM me. I'll be more than happy to help. But sorry, I'll need more info on your rigs specs!

Take care,

Johan
Thanks, I keep that in mind. And those links were really interesting and helped me.

CG_1976
May 19th, 2015, 12:23
Thanks, I keep that in mind. And those links were really interesting and helped me.

Dumonceau is the one member here who offer's equal advice with no quells. That's what I call a SOH Leader. I was trying last night after I posted hunting around for some ATI FSX stuff for you. But Dumonceau's advice is true and equal. Thank you Dumonceau, excellent lead.

TuFun
May 19th, 2015, 12:34
I'm curious as to any AMD card users using Steve's DX10 fixer... how's that working? I could never get that to work properly.

heywooood
May 19th, 2015, 18:49
Dumonceau is the one member here who offer's equal advice with no quells. That's what I call a SOH Leader. I was trying last night after I posted hunting around for some ATI FSX stuff for you. But Dumonceau's advice is true and equal. Thank you Dumonceau, excellent lead.

feel better now? lol

StormILM
May 19th, 2015, 19:08
I have a 2gb HD7770 Pro and for a while I felt I wasn't getting the best from my CPU or GPU while running FSX. After much researching on optimization, I ended up with these 3d settings(shown in the below screenshot) which makes my FSX run very smoothly with good visuals using REX4 and very high end addons. Bear in mind that with some models, scenery, and weather settings, you'll need to adjust your fps between the typical 30 mark or unlimited to achieve the best balance between performance and not having visual anomalies(which will also vary system to system).
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23177&stc=1

heywooood
May 19th, 2015, 19:45
nice work, Storm - are you running Steve's DX10 Fixer?..it appears not as you are overriding the application AA, but just to be sure...are you?

lownslo
May 19th, 2015, 20:17
I'm curious as to any AMD card users using Steve's DX10 fixer... how's that working? I could never get that to work properly.

Did you use the Guide? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88271-DX10-quot-How-to-quot-Guide-a-new-home!

Greg

fsafranek
May 19th, 2015, 20:48
I've been using a Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB Graphics Card for over a year now and while not the latest greatest I'm very happy with the results. I have both FSX-Acceleration and FSX-SE installed and the latter is a much more stable product on my Win 8.1 system. FSX-A crashes once in a while but FSX-SE never has. The frame rates were set initially for Unlimited but I have pulled them down to 29 because my human eye can't tell a difference past 24 fps so why waste the processor cycles. Use it for more detail and faster rendering.
:ernaehrung004:

StormILM
May 19th, 2015, 21:30
nice work, Storm - are you running Steve's DX10 Fixer?..it appears not as you are overriding the application AA, but just to be sure...are you?

Not using DX10 or the Fixer. Yes, I am overriding the AA. Bearing in mind, you can get much sharper graphics than those settings but it comes with a performance price on systems that do not have an OCed CPU(which I don't, I use Intel TurboBoost with my i7-3770 which has a base line 3.40GHz and 16gb RAM). Anyhow, at those settings, my current FSX install has been mostly stable and smooth now for 2 years.

Hdguy
May 20th, 2015, 00:56
I am an AMD user. Always have been.

Running an R9 200 Card with the latest drivers.. No real tweeks in the config for FSX...

I lock at 35 and rarely do they drop. I do fly mostly GA and short flights. I use GEX,FEX,Ultimate terrain and AS6.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23180&stc=1

Hdguy
May 20th, 2015, 01:06
Settings page.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23181&stc=1

Hdguy
May 20th, 2015, 01:08
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23182&stc=1

Hdguy
May 20th, 2015, 01:53
Sorry I had to put this info in so many posts.

My Only FSX tweeks are.

[Display]WideViewAspect=True

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
ForceFullScreenVSync=1

UsePools=0 in [BufferPools] section

heywooood
May 20th, 2015, 06:26
The effort is appreciated - Im sure it will help other AMD users get better results

Duckie
May 20th, 2015, 08:27
I'm a long time ATI/AMD graphic card user. I left the "other" card many moons ago and haven't looked back. I have hesitated to ask for help for the very reasons exemplified in the first few posts above. However, thanks to the actual users of the product posting some of their settings (StormILM and Hdguy), and Johan posting a very useful link, this thread has been very helpful. I gained one setting correction that was causing some issues that I have been living with since my jump to X. The correction has made an huge difference in the appearance of my sim.

So, THANKS everyone, especially kiki for asking the questions! :encouragement: :encouragement:

Steve

Stefano Zibell
May 20th, 2015, 08:32
Ok, so here's something that might be helpful: http://www.radeonpro.info/download/

A sort-of nvidia inspector for radeons.

Dumonceau
May 20th, 2015, 08:52
I'm a long time ATI/AMD graphic card user. I left the "other" card many moons ago and haven't looked back. I have hesitated to ask for help for the very reasons exemplified in the first few posts above. However, thanks to the actual users of the product posting some of their settings (StormILM and Hdguy), and Johan posting a very useful link, this thread has been very helpful. I gained one setting correction that was causing some issues that I have been living with since my jump to X. The correction has made an huge difference in the appearance of my sim.

So, THANKS everyone, especially kiki for asking the questions! :encouragement: :encouragement:

Steve

Steve,

The only thing we ask for is your gorgeous paints!!! :jump:

And since they come naturally, we ask for nothing!

Johan

kiki
May 20th, 2015, 09:27

Steve

Thank you! And thanks to everyone who shared the results of their experimemts and tweaks. This turned out to be very interesting topic, in many ways.