PDA

View Full Version : Pinto drag racer released

rcbarend
May 16th, 2015, 04:58
This package contains a simulation of a Ford Pinto based race car; just uploaded to the SOH library.

Now that the Bounty is finalized, here's another "non-standard" addon for FSX.

Using a model by Milton Shupe (included), and using the same methods as in my VTOL implementations and Bounty "sail FDE", I implemented a "car FDE in gauge code" for this Pinto.
Features a.o.:
- Accurate speeds/acceleration and steering.
- A transmission gearbox: 4-gear Forward, Neutral and Reverse (automatic and manual control).
- Traction control, ABS.
- A proportional Handbrake.
- Wheel lock / over-spin and drifting.
- A new way of playing engine sound in FS, to accommodate fast engine rev-up/down.
- Special driving effects, like doughnuts and spins.
- An audible/visible TireSmoke effect.
- Car performance and effects depend on the groundsurface you drive on (like concrete/aspalt or grass/mud)
- And more ....

It includes a configurator (gauge), through which you can assign/calibrate controller axis to Accelerator/Brake pedals and Steering wheel.
(doesn't change your standard controller settings !!).
Meaning you can drive the car either with a simple joystick (default), or e.g. with both toebrakes of a rudder pedal set, plus yoke for steering.
So if you want to race/drive a car in the FSX scenery, give this a try ...

Easy to install, and fully documented (see included Documentation folder).
Works on:
- FSX-SP2 and FSX-Accel: Fully tested and supported.
- P3D V2.5: Appears to work properly, but not supported (I don't have P3D myself).
NOTE: may conflict however with FSTramp and TacPac; in case of problems (non-moving car) you have to disable that.

A note on Muliti-Player:
To properly simulate wheel revs - like locked or over-spinning wheels - the rotation animation isn't standard, but is gauge-calculated using Lvars.
Meaning that in MP, the wheels of the "other" car probably won't visibly rotate.

Requires prior installation of FSUIPC (registered or unregistered).

By Rob Barendregt and Milton Shupe

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22968&stc=1

DaveWG
May 16th, 2015, 06:19
Nice! Look forward to trying this out.
Thanks Rob and Milton. :encouragement:

rcbarend
May 16th, 2015, 07:22
PS:
And if you can't wait to try it .... :icon_lol:

Temporarily available here ....

* Link removed *

Rob

falcon409
May 16th, 2015, 08:57
WHAT A BLAST!! lol. . .Took the Pinto for a trip from Prince Airport in Milton, Fla. over to Pensacola. Once I got acclimated to the use of the spoiler and flaps for shifting I was on my way. Took Hwy. 90 out of the airport east to 87, then south to Interstate 10 and on my way. The bridge was a trip. . .I caught air entering the bridge ramp and exiting, lol. Finally pulled over at an eatery for lunch. Will complete the trip after filling up, lol.

Observations: I assumed that my lack of fwd motion was due to FSTramp so I dropped it from the dll.xml file (that wasn't it though). Actually it was due to my not reading the documentation first, lol. I'll add it back in to see if it actually has any bearing on the Pinto. Only thing that would be great to configure would be a way to use the CH Throttle (or any throttle lever) as the accelerator rather than having to hold fwd pressure on the joystick. Otherwise it held the road like a champ, none of the "out of control" steering that was prevalent with earlier attempts at vehicles. Once on the main road (10) the traffic was an added enjoyment. . .I swear there was a Ford Focus that was tryin' to race me, lol. Great Job you guys. A total winner!!

Milton Shupe
May 16th, 2015, 09:17
I agree; it is a blast. I drove it from Hope, BC to Chilliwack, BC along mountainous terrain, dual highway heavy traffic. Great scenery, great fun! :jump:

rcbarend
May 16th, 2015, 09:33
WHAT A BLAST!! lol. . .Took the Pinto for a trip from Prince Airport in Milton, Fla. over to Pensacola. Once I got acclimated to the use of the spoiler and flaps for shifting I was on my way. Took Hwy. 90 out of the airport east to 87, then south to Interstate 10 and on my way. The bridge was a trip. . .I caught air entering the bridge ramp and exiting, lol. Finally pulled over at an eatery for lunch. Will complete the trip after filling up, lol.

Observations: I assumed that my lack of fwd motion was due to FSTramp so I dropped it from the dll.xml file (that wasn't it though). Actually it was due to my not reading the documentation first, lol. I'll add it back in to see if it actually has any bearing on the Pinto. Only thing that would be great to configure would be a way to use the CH Throttle (or any throttle lever) as the accelerator rather than having to hold fwd pressure on the joystick. Otherwise it held the road like a champ, none of the "out of control" steering that was prevalent with earlier attempts at vehicles. Once on the main road (10) the traffic was an added enjoyment. . .I swear there was a Ford Focus that was tryin' to race me, lol. Great Job you guys. A total winner!!
Hi Ed,

Glad you like it.
And Yes, reading the documentation adds a lot ...LoL
As you may have seen, there's quite a difference when driving on asphalt/concrete or other surfaces... (like sounds/tire effects).
Since you're using P3D: you mention "main road (10)".
Does this mean the value of SURFACE in the test gauge is 10 ?? (meaning: Urban area).
I may change that then in a next release (so it behaves like on concrete/asphalt runways/taxiways).

As to using the FS Throttle lever: I will think about this.
Although using toebrakes (if you have them) as Accelerator/Brakes adds a lot to the driving immersion .....
Also, when driving longer distance on a main road: have you tried the CruiseControl function ??

Rob

falcon409
May 16th, 2015, 09:41
Hi Ed,

Glad you like it.
And Yes, reading the documentation adds a lot ...LoL
As you may have seen, there's quite a difference when driving on asphalt/concrete or other surfaces... (like sounds/tire effects).
Since you're using P3D: you mention "main road (10)".
Does this mean the value of SURFACE in the test gauge is 10 ?? (meaning: Urban area).
I may change that then in a next release (so it behaves like on concrete/asphalt runways/taxiways).

As to using the FS Throttle lever: I will think about this.
Although using toebrakes (if you have them) as Accelerator/Brakes adds a lot to the driving immersion .....
Also, when driving longer distance on a main road: have you tried the CruiseControl function ??

Rob
Hi Rob. . .the 10 was meant as Hwy 10. . .sorry 'bout that. Cruise Control? (Back to the documentation, lol).

rcbarend
May 16th, 2015, 09:43
I agree; it is a blast. I drove it from Hope, BC to Chilliwack, BC along mountainous terrain, dual highway heavy traffic. Great scenery, great fun! :jump:

Hi Milton,

Don't know if you tried this Release version already, but I changed the Handbrake toggle function to SpoilersToggle instead of GearToggle.
Reason being that (with both an On/Off and Proportional Handbrake function) sometimes the "LandingGear" was actually retracted when the car was driving fast on a bumpy surface; making it constantly sinking into the ground (like landing an airplane with landinggear up .....LoL).
So now I keep the LandingGear forced down all the time, which solves this problem ....

Rob

Milton Shupe
May 16th, 2015, 09:47
Downloaded but not yet tried the release version. Will do :-) Thanks

rcbarend
May 16th, 2015, 09:49
Hi Rob. . .the 10 was meant as Hwy 10. . .sorry 'bout that. Cruise Control? (Back to the documentation, lol).
Can you check the value of SURFACE in the test gauge then, when you drive on a main road in the scenery in P3D ??

And Yes: CruiseControl ... !!
And TractionControl ...
And ABS (Anti Blocking system when applying too much brake power) ....

Sorry ..., I may have added too many advanced features ...LoL...

Cheers, Rob

Bjoern
May 16th, 2015, 09:59
Does it include a fireball crash effect? *Ducks and runs*

JimmyRFR
May 16th, 2015, 11:47
Wowsers... And here I'm just wrapping my head around sailing in the sim, and now you've got us driving race cars! Is a submarine next??

Great work!!!

Milton Shupe
May 16th, 2015, 12:06
Wowsers... And here I'm just wrapping my head around sailing in the sim, and now you've got us driving race cars! Is a submarine next??

Great work!!!

Well, that is a possibility I guess however neither Rob nor I have P3D to build and test that. :-/

pilottj
May 16th, 2015, 12:38
lol looks great.....just be sure not to get rear ended :biggrin-new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0J0rcJTLo

rcbarend
May 16th, 2015, 12:59
Does it include a fireball crash effect? *Ducks and runs*

Hmmm..
For when it's shot down by cannon fire from the Bounty, you mean ??? :tommygun2:

FlameOut
May 16th, 2015, 17:28
I must admit it, I had one of those almost exactly like the one in the above video.

Mine was a '72 ... thinner bumpers and that same "Pimiento-Pinto" orange-red color.

Got her "used" after my brother "cracked" the block on our '68 Chevelle Malibu. :angryfire:

napamule
May 16th, 2015, 19:34
I've been 'flying' this jobbie since 2012. Lost the FDEs in HD crash in 2013 but here is what they looked like. CRANK IT UP (sound).
Chuck B
Napamule
Link:https://youtu.be/ib_OCZHQ7aw

Bjoern
May 17th, 2015, 07:38
Hmmm..
For when it's shot down by cannon fire from the Bounty, you mean ??? :tommygun2:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Controverse

rcbarend
May 17th, 2015, 07:50
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Controverse
Oh, I see now .... LoL.
But NO, this sim version has a properly protected tank ...LoL...

Rob

vora
May 17th, 2015, 17:08
Just the right car at the right time. When the YBTH Bathurst triple installer comes out in the coming weeks I know the right race track for this vehicle. :encouragement:

Paul Domingue
May 18th, 2015, 13:31
Observations: I assumed that my lack of fwd motion was due to FSTramp so I dropped it from the dll.xml file (that wasn't it though). Actually it was due to my not reading the documentation first, lol. I'll add it back in to see if it actually has any bearing on the Pinto.

I tested the beta for Rob and FSTramp does the same thing to the Pinto as it did to the Bounty in P3D 2.5 but it took quite a while longer before it had an affect, almost an hours worth of driving time before it stopped moving. So if you don't plan to drive to far FSTramp may not be a problem for you.

Penzoil3
May 19th, 2015, 23:01
Wheeee! What a blast from the past! Handles well, thanks.
LOL
Sue