PDA

View Full Version : Run as Administrator

WarHorse47
May 14th, 2015, 06:48
I just learned something new this morning and was curious to know how many other SOH members know about this.

I recently acquired the Milviz P-38L. Last night I took my first night flight and could not get any lighting in the VC. After reporting my issue on their forum, they instructed me to run FSX as an Administrator. And Voila, the VC lighting works beautifully.

In all the years I've had FSX, I've never ran it as an Administrator and now I wonder just what else I've missed on my other addons. Like how could I have missed this. :dizzy:

Does anyone else run FSX as an Administrator? If so, is there a way to do this automatically as compared to right clicking the desktop icon and selecting the option?

Dumonceau
May 14th, 2015, 06:56
Yes there is: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

Johan

Daube
May 14th, 2015, 07:08
I've always been running FSX and P3D with the option "run as administrator" enabled directly in the properties of the shortcut on my desktop.
If I'm not mistaken, I started doing that back in the FS9 days, when the problems like "my sim won't save my settings" started to appear.
I also always "run as admin" all the installation programs of my addons.

falcon409
May 14th, 2015, 07:11
WH, I always assumed that since I log into Win7 (or any of the other OS's I've had in the past 12 years or so) as an Administrator that anything I ran beyond that point was automatically "Run as Administrator". Apparently not.

Dumonceau
May 14th, 2015, 07:28
There is a difference guys. Even though you are a local administrator of your machine, that doesn't necessarily imply that all the programs are run as such.

Johan

WarHorse47
May 14th, 2015, 08:23
Yes there is: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

JohanThanks, but the tech advice is for Win7. I'm running under Windows 8.1 and the shortcut option for "Run as Administrator" is not available.

I use a desktop icon that was created during the FSX install. Under the shortcut/advanced selection the option to "run as administrator" is greyed out (locked out and unavailable).

Dumonceau
May 14th, 2015, 08:30
Thanks, but the tech advice is for Win7. I'm running under Windows 8.1 and the shortcut option for "Run as Administrator" is not available.

I use a desktop icon that was created during the FSX install. Under the shortcut/advanced selection the option to "run as administrator" is greyed out (locked out and unavailable).

For Windows 8.1: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/35280-windows-8-1-how-to-run-a-program-as-administrator

Johan

WarHorse47
May 14th, 2015, 08:31
I figured it out, thanks.

I had to go to FSX.exe and set it to "run as administrator". For some reason there is no option to set it at the icon/shortcut level on my install.

Dev One
May 14th, 2015, 10:55
I figured it out, thanks.

I had to go to FSX.exe and set it to "run as administrator". For some reason there is no option to set it at the icon/shortcut level on my install.

Thanks WH, Not all of mine were set for top level, now changed - must remember to change my laptop!
Keith

vortex
May 15th, 2015, 02:11
An easy way to run everything as administrator, particularly if you start other programs with FSX (weather software, for example), is to write a simple batch file to run them all. If you then make a shortcut to the batch file on your desktop and set the shortcut to run as administrator, all of the programs opened by the batch file will automatically be run as administrator without any further action. It's also a great way to close unwanted software before you start FSX (and subsequently re-open things after FSX closes). A batch file can easily be written to give you menu options and to carry out quite complex actions - it's a highly underrated feature of Windows.

airtj
May 15th, 2015, 09:18
You can also check this thread out #7 :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52003-FS9-Crashes!-%28Possible-compatibility-issues-in-Win7%29&p=570809&viewfull=1#post570809