PDA

View Full Version : SkySimulations DC9-V2 released

papab
May 13th, 2015, 03:06
See it here on Sky Sim website:
http://www.skysimulations.com/index.php?frame=cHJvZHVjdHM=&area=products&code=TWMgRG9ubmVsbCBEb3VnbGFz&cat=TWMgRG9ubmVsbCBEb3VnbGFzIERDOSBWMg==&prod_id=9

Purchase it on SimMarket:
http://secure.simmarket.com/sky-simulations-mcdonnell-douglas-dc-9-fsx-v2.phtml

UPDATE OFFER: If you previously purchased SKY SIMULATIONS - MCDONNELL DOUGLAS DC-9 FSX at simMarket, you are entitled to the special upgrade price of EUR 18.00 only. NOTE: The special upgrade price will be awarded automatically, therefore you must be logged into your same account used to purchase the previous version! If in doubt contact simMarket support first!

Rick

Bjoern
May 13th, 2015, 09:03
The SkySimulations DC-9s were somehow always more appealing to me than the CoolSky rendition. Probably because you'll get the entire range of stretches and not just the -30. But 36€...*welp*

pbearsailor
May 13th, 2015, 09:16
I've always liked it too. Had the old version, so it was the upgrade price for me.

VC is much crisper, pretty nice actually. Like the older one, it's easy on frame rates. Looks like the old repaints work (although I haven't actually tried them yet).

cheers,
steve :wavey:

donnybalonny
May 13th, 2015, 11:25
I´m interested in knowing 2 things:
*How it flies. Compared to other similar sized Jets. How well does it fly without autopilot?

*Depth of system. While I like a good and deep system simulation, I also have my limits. I fly the Ifly 737NG and the PMDG JS4100 and they are both very good with good system simulation and at the same time not to overwhelming to learn to fly. I have stayed away from sims like PMDG 737 and Majestic Dash 8 because I´m afraid I´ll use to much time learning to actually fly them and thats also the reason i dont have the Coolsky DC-9 even though DC-9 is a favorite jet of mine and the Coolsky looks awesome.

donnybalonny
May 13th, 2015, 11:29
One more thing. (I dont know why I couldnt edit my post)

What about the manuals are they well written, is there a tutorial and does it work?

Thanks in advance.

papab
May 13th, 2015, 13:00
One more thing. (I dont know why I couldnt edit my post)

What about the manuals are they well written, is there a tutorial and does it work?

Thanks in advance.

This is from their product description ,last entry on the list:

..MISCELLANEOUS..
-GPWS, Warning and Caution sounds
-Virtual Copilot Sounds
-Take off configuration warnings and sounds.
-FLIGHT OPERATIONS MANUAL
by step tutorial manual.

Rick

Spikehughes
May 13th, 2015, 14:40
I had the original, so purchased at the update price.

The flight model appears similar to the earlier version in that you seem to unable to recover from a stall no matter what altitude you are at . I cannot confirm if this predicament is normal for this type of aircraft - any DC9 pilot care to comment? Apart from that it does feel like a heavy jet and climbs well with a lot of noise!! You do feel as though you are in a Tube liner and not in a flighty aerobat. Turns seem ponderous.(probably accurate to the real thing I suspect). I do like the flight modelling.

The overhead is still blurry. A little sharper than the first version, but still not sharp and certainly not as implied in the advertising.
The main VC cockpit is better than the prior version in that all instruments are sharper, but the photo textured underlay has not been sharpened so if you zoom in you can see the faded out of focus outlines. The circuit breakers behind the captains seat are on a blurry mapping. The switches themselves are sharp, but this is spoiled by the background.

There doesn't appear to be shadowing in the VC cockpit. (There is shadowing on the external fuselage).

As for performance - this loads FPS in the same way that say Coolskys DC 9 does. So no huge performance hit. I have my FPS set at 30 FPS with no bufferpools and run an i7 4770K at 4.2 Ghz overclock. Performance wise it sat at around 21-23 FPS on the ground at Skagit Regional (ORBX) and 30 FPS in the air with NEXT soft clouds and full overcast - I was happy with that !

The autopilot works as it did in the earlier version - One of the biggest issues for me in the first version was that in ALT HOLD it would climb and descend around the targetted number. In other words you could not get it too accurately sit at the designated altitude without very very tiny adjustments of the pitch. However I should point out that I was pleasantly surprised at the complexity of the model when I first purchased this in 2009. I haven't fully tried this in the new release so will hold of commenting on that - hoping it has been fine tuned!! (added later; it sadly is still the same, very fiddly - what they need is a right click action that centers the pitch control wheel).

Can't get the Ident working - the ON switch doesn't appear to work ?

The Pressurization warnings come up on this model if you do not set altitude pressure correctly and you must turn on your hydraulic switches in order to get breaking working (Co Pilot side next to the throttle quadrant). Lights all seem to work correctly with 3 positions for landing lights (as advertised). Co Pilot call outs are heard for speed and flap settings - this was as it was in the prior version. Modelling of systems is quite good IMHO.

Initial impressions, slightly dissapointing. If you had the first version I would question the need to get this. However, if you are new to this model, you do get plenty for your Euro - all the DC-9 series up to the 50 and they advise they will be releasing the Freighter version shortly as part of the purchase price.

StormILM
May 13th, 2015, 14:46
I bought the old FS9 version before I moved to FSX permanently but never upgraded. I had been tempted to buy the Coolsky version but just based on my experience with the systems of the original Skysimulations version, I have a feeling this one is a better deal and probably a lot easier on FPS. Will probably buy it in the not too distant future.

Navy Chief
May 13th, 2015, 20:32
I may purchase the updated version, but am reading that there isn't a lot of differences from the initial release, other than increased detail on some things, but not others. NC

donnybalonny
May 13th, 2015, 23:59
Spikehughes

Thanks a lot for your well balanced comments. I will wait and maybe get the coolsky DC9. At leat, there you have a month test drive.
It can be frustrating to use money and a lot of time on an AC addon that you end up not using. Jetliners normally require a good deal of studying before you can actually get an idea of what it is.

Peg o my heart
May 14th, 2015, 08:48
I had the original, so purchased at the update price.

The flight model appears similar to the earlier version in that you seem to unable to recover from a stall no matter what altitude you are at . I cannot confirm if this predicament is normal for this type of aircraft - any DC9 pilot care to comment? Apart from that it does feel like a heavy jet and climbs well with a lot of noise!! You do feel as though you are in a Tube liner and not in a flighty aerobat. Turns seem ponderous.(probably accurate to the real thing I suspect). I do like the flight modelling.

The overhead is still blurry. A little sharper than the first version, but still not sharp and certainly not as implied in the advertising.
The main VC cockpit is better than the prior version in that all instruments are sharper, but the photo textured underlay has not been sharpened so if you zoom in you can see the faded out of focus outlines. The circuit breakers behind the captains seat are on a blurry mapping. The switches themselves are sharp, but this is spoiled by the background.

There doesn't appear to be shadowing in the VC cockpit. (There is shadowing on the external fuselage).

As for performance - this loads FPS in the same way that say Coolskys DC 9 does. So no huge performance hit. I have my FPS set at 30 FPS with no bufferpools and run an i7 4770K at 4.2 Ghz overclock. Performance wise it sat at around 21-23 FPS on the ground at Skagit Regional (ORBX) and 30 FPS in the air with NEXT soft clouds and full overcast - I was happy with that !

The autopilot works as it did in the earlier version - One of the biggest issues for me in the first version was that in ALT HOLD it would climb and descend around the targetted number. In other words you could not get it too accurately sit at the designated altitude without very very tiny adjustments of the pitch. However I should point out that I was pleasantly surprised at the complexity of the model when I first purchased this in 2009. I haven't fully tried this in the new release so will hold of commenting on that - hoping it has been fine tuned!! (added later; it sadly is still the same, very fiddly - what they need is a right click action that centers the pitch control wheel).

Can't get the Ident working - the ON switch doesn't appear to work ?

The Pressurization warnings come up on this model if you do not set altitude pressure correctly and you must turn on your hydraulic switches in order to get breaking working (Co Pilot side next to the throttle quadrant). Lights all seem to work correctly with 3 positions for landing lights (as advertised). Co Pilot call outs are heard for speed and flap settings - this was as it was in the prior version. Modelling of systems is quite good IMHO.

Initial impressions, slightly dissapointing. If you had the first version I would question the need to get this. However, if you are new to this model, you do get plenty for your Euro - all the DC-9 series up to the 50 and they advise they will be releasing the Freighter version shortly as part of the purchase price.

Thank You for the mini review :D

Spikehughes
May 14th, 2015, 12:24
I may purchase the updated version, but am reading that there isn't a lot of differences from the initial release, other than increased detail on some things, but not others. NC

Chief, early days for any in depth review and I am not committing to a followup review. (Some one else perhaps)? It should declare that I had enough confidence to immediately buy the upgrade before anyone else had given their impressions simply because their previous model was pretty impressive at the time. I was hoping for a bigger reworking of the VC than is apparent.

I have not gone extensively through the list of "enhancements" or "improvements", but my initial impressions are that there has been some changes - but perhaps not enough to warrant existing users wanting to pay the an upgrade purchase of 18 Euros. In other words as far as I can tell so far, this is a remake with some graphical improvements mainly. Maybe this will change as I fly it more in different conditions. For instance I have not tried out a night flight so cannot verify if the "new VC lighting" is better or not..etc,. I should add, I use Steve's FX10 Fixer and some of the settings may have altered the way I see things??

However, from a DC9 point of view, this is still a fairly good simulations with a range of systems simulated, and for new purchases a very good deal indeed. I don't know of any other company offering such an extensive range with so many active systems, in this price range (30 Euros). The external model is good enough IMHO, the flight model is good, the active systems are mostly good - it is just the VC doesn't meet the current standard (comes close though.) Hope that helps you decide

Navy Chief
May 14th, 2015, 20:37
Chief, early days for any in depth review and I am not committing to a followup review. (Some one else perhaps)? It should declare that I had enough confidence to immediately buy the upgrade before anyone else had given their impressions simply because their previous model was pretty impressive at the time. I was hoping for a bigger reworking of the VC than is apparent.

I have not gone extensively through the list of "enhancements" or "improvements", but my initial impressions are that there has been some changes - but perhaps not enough to warrant existing users wanting to pay the an upgrade purchase of 18 Euros. In other words as far as I can tell so far, this is a remake with some graphical improvements mainly. Maybe this will change as I fly it more in different conditions. For instance I have not tried out a night flight so cannot verify if the "new VC lighting" is better or not..etc,. I should add, I use Steve's FX10 Fixer and some of the settings may have altered the way I see things??

However, from a DC9 point of view, this is still a fairly good simulations with a range of systems simulated, and for new purchases a very good deal indeed. I don't know of any other company offering such an extensive range with so many active systems, in this price range (30 Euros). The external model is good enough IMHO, the flight model is good, the active systems are mostly good - it is just the VC doesn't meet the current standard (comes close though.) Hope that helps you decide

Thank you for the clarification. I may very well buy the upgrade, but may wait just a little while longer for more reviews/comments. But I do appreciate the added information.:encouragement: NC