PDA

View Full Version : Cannot locate Akemi's a6m2 for Talon's missions

JP127
May 10th, 2015, 08:51
Hi guys,

Been away awhile. With Talon's passing I have been installing his missions to fly. I always enjoyed flying his missions with all the details and wanted to do so again.
I have been looking for akemi's a6m2 and cannot locate it in the soh library. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

braveheart77521
May 10th, 2015, 10:20
Jeff

Have you tried looking in Warbirds. chs2 aircraft, Akemi Legacy? Is this what you are looking for?

Braveheart (Mack)

JP127
May 10th, 2015, 12:42
Thanks for the reply. I looked at that location but his a6m2 aircraft is not there

UncleTgt
May 10th, 2015, 13:31
Hmm,

So these don't exist then

mz-a6m2b
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=174&id=17990

mz-a6m2n
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=174&id=17989

:beaten:

TARPSBird
May 10th, 2015, 13:32
Thanks for the reply. I looked at that location but his a6m2 aircraft is not there
Jeff, it's in the Warbirds files here. You want mz-a6m2b.zip, a6m2b-t.zip is the same plane only painted for the Tainan Kokutai. This is the A6M2 you get with the first file I named...

braveheart77521
May 10th, 2015, 14:07
Jeff

You can find the akemi effects by kelti here for the a6m2 if you need them.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=14099&catid=47

Braveheart (Mack McDonald)

TARPSBird
May 10th, 2015, 14:43
Jeff
You can find the akemi effects by kelti here for the a6m2 if you need them.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=14099&catid=47
Braveheart (Mack McDonald)
I saw the forum name "Talos2005" mentioned in Kelti's download info. I wonder whatever happened to Talos2005??? He used to be an active member here and was really knowledgeable on Japanese naval aviation. I recall he got additional job responsibilities in Japan, and then he eventually stopped posting. Wish he had stuck around, although real life takes priority over our hobby pursuits.

JP127
May 10th, 2015, 14:44
Thanks guys for the help. I downloaded both plus Kelti's effects. No more error message on USMC 43 missions.

Jeff

TARPSBird
May 10th, 2015, 16:19
Happy to help out. :encouragement: It's what we all do here.

Fibber
May 10th, 2015, 18:18
.you are not alone. I also got a little stumped when I came to the MZ-A6m2. I was looking for that named file and as dumb luck would have it I did use the "b" model anyway. I guess that my brain synapses were short-circuited again on that.

kelticheart
May 11th, 2015, 01:38
Jeff, it's in the Warbirds files here. You want mz-a6m2b.zip, a6m2b-t.zip is the same plane only painted for the Tainan Kokutai. This is the A6M2 you get with the first file I named...

Hi Jeff,

let me add my two cents, by specifying that the two models created by Akemi differ in the fact that the A6M2b is the navalised Zeke version, while the A6M2b-t (t=terrestrial) model does not include the radio equipment, identifiable by the lack of radio antenna mast on the rear cockpit canopy.

Akemi reproduced two rigorously exact historical versions with these two models. Ace Saburo Sakai in his book 'Samurai!' wrote that the ground-based Tainan Airgroup, operating from Rabaul, routinely removed the heavy radio equipment from their A6M2b's in order to save weight and extend their already considerable range capabilities. In fact, the skin included in Akemi's A6M2b-t pack depicts Sakai's mount during the Guadalcanal campaign. The repaint posted above depicts Major Itaya's A6M2b AI-155, during the Pearl Harbour attack.

The Allied invasion of Guadalacanal imposed this extra measure to allow fighter cover for the Japanese bomber units sent to attack the invasion beachhead. The great distance between Rabaul and Guadalcanal stretched the Zero range to its very limits. IJNAF had to face the similar problem Luftwaffe met during the BoB, caused by the very short range of the Bf109E.
Carrier ops arrestor hook and its mechanism was field removed also from the Tainan Zeros to save weight, while the practice of the Tainan Kokkutai pilots to leave their chutes back, depended on the fact that the IJNAF issue had a very cumbersome harness, which limited severely the pilot's movements during dogfights.

Sakai and his squadron mates preferred having their movements completely free inside their cockpits, in spite of the strict IJNAF regulation imposing the wearing of a parachute to all of its pilots with no exceptions, in addition to saving even more weight and extending their Zeros range further.

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

JP127
May 11th, 2015, 15:34
Tarpsbird, Helpful, yes just like I remembered. :applause:

Thanks KH for the info. Awesome history lesson.
:ernaehrung004:
Jeff

kelticheart
May 12th, 2015, 00:41
Tarpsbird, Helpful, yes just like I remembered. Thanks KH for the info. Awesome history lesson.

Jeff

You're welcome, Jeff.

I wanted to pay homage to the astonishing precision Akemi Mizoguchi poured into his late-production models, to the benefit of historical full immersion and great enjoyment for all of us.

I too enjoy a lot sharing and reading little known historical facts, when posted by a SOH member. It all contributes to how special CFS2 and this community are. :wavey:

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004: