PDA

View Full Version : Converting Textures?

msfossey
April 28th, 2015, 13:01
Is there a way to convert a dds texture from an aircraft from FSX to a format that will work in CFS2? I tried using Martin Wright’s DXT program with no success. Any advice would be appreciated.

msfossey

UncleTgt
April 28th, 2015, 13:19
Details? Some more details would be helpful in understanding the issue.

I note the version of DXTbmp that I have reads DDS & can save as DDS, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Solid textures I save as 565 format
Simple black alphas I like to save as 555-1 format instead of DXT1 with alpha
Sometimes only DXT3 will get the partial transparency you need, but colours can appear to bleed & you can lose some detail, especially when mips kick in for drawing aircraft as they get further away.

I have also used 888 format occasionally, even for prop transparencies (instead of 444 format)

RobH
April 28th, 2015, 15:05
I edited my post after your reply msfossey. I dont have that plane, but FSX uses a shared folder, make sure you have all the proper texture files in each livery folder.

You will also need to flip the texture in DXTbmp. FSX dds textures are "upside down" compared to what CFS2 uses.

Otherwise, you should be able to just convert from dds to bmp and saving to a format for CFS2. I use DXT3. And make sure you have a solid white alpha texture.

msfossey
April 28th, 2015, 15:08
Hey UncleTgt,

I purchased Flight Replicas' P-40N for FSX. Ran the mdl file through a MDLC . It will load in CFS2 but you can't see a single texture. Everything is invisible. The engine starts, it flys, but you cant see it. Just thought it might be because the textures are dds and not bmps. Not sure how to change the dds files into bmps. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
msfossey

michaelvader
April 28th, 2015, 16:51
Hallo,

I use some of the repaints of Manfred Jahn's C-47 in FS9, even if the are made to be used in FSX.
As said by some one else, the bmp's has to be flipped in most cases, also in FS9 the format is most 1024X1024,
in FSX. For making my own repaints or to adapt other ones I use the payware tool FSrepaint - I do not kmow if it works in cfs2 for ever.
I also are interested by the A2A P-40, but of course it would not fly in FS9. With an mdl modified to be used in cfs2, perhaps it might work?
To try out would you please send me the mdl via pm?

RobH
April 28th, 2015, 18:19
michaelvader, you should re write your last sentence. I'm pretty sure asking someone to send you a payware mdl file is against the rules here. This would be considered a form of piracy.

Another alternative is this P-40 at Flightsim.com curtiss_p40tomahawk.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=166256). It's freeware. I have had it installed before. It is not as complex and might convert easier than the one from A2A. No it's not as good as A2A's, but it's not bad for free. Also, it was mapped to use the same textures as the A2A P-40 does. All you would need to do is resize and convert with DXTbmp.

michaelvader
April 28th, 2015, 22:08
answering to RobH,
oups I gaffed,
at first I meant NOT the original Mdl, but the converted one.
at the second hand I believed as it has been run through modification it has been changed so much that it could not been seen as
an act of piracy.
So I considered that as same as I make and publish modified textures for a payware plane it not piracy.
So where is the difference between a new texture and a new (as it is modified it is new) Mdl?
If the US law see it so, allright I have to conform at it.
So last word I would not in any way make an act of piracy or suggest to some one to act in this way.
Allright?

RobH
April 28th, 2015, 23:17
michaelvader,

Hey it's all good. I have no doubt your intentions are completely innocent, and just to be clear, I did not think that you were trying to pirate something. Maybe I shouldn't have stuck my nose into your business, I just didn't want you to get in trouble.

Take care!:very_drunk:

msfossey
April 30th, 2015, 09:16
Thanks for the ideas guys. I appreciate your thoughts and plan to see if I can convert these textures for personal use using the method that RobH has suggested.

BTW RobH, your work is great. I use many of your textures for my A/C.

Thanks,
msfossey

Blood_Hawk23
April 30th, 2015, 10:26
Thanks for the ideas guys. I appreciate your thoughts and plan to see if I can convert these textures for personal use using the method that RobH has suggested.

BTW RobH, your work is great. I use many of your textures for my A/C.

Thanks,
msfossey

I've been working on Stuarts ships for CFS3. I have found that BMP format will not always convert to dds. though if they start out as a tga and are converted they work fine.

Now it could be the format of the bmp. Try using imagetool and convert the dtx1 format into a dds. see if that works. MW program is great but recently I've run in to this issue with it as well.

Let me know if any of that works for you.

RobH
April 30th, 2015, 11:30
Thank you and good luck! Like Blood Hawk said, keep us posted.