PDA

View Full Version : Any VMF-214 (Black Sheep) enthusiasts?

Navy Chief
April 22nd, 2015, 14:36
My task as a volunteer at the Naval Aviation Museum was quite interesting today. The library's curator asked me to inventory a box of donated materials, filled with files, containing correspondence between former pilots of VMF-214 and the author Frank E. Walton, who wrote a book about the Black Sheep squadron. Mr. Walton was also the Intelligence Officer for VMF-214 at that time as well. Included in the files were typewritten transcripts of taped interviews of the pilots.

The book is titled, "Once They Were Eagles: The Men of the Black Sheep Squadron"

It was fascinating, reading through some of the letters, knowing I was reading letters penned by famous WW2 heroes and aces.

NC

trucker17
April 22nd, 2015, 14:57
Sounds Awesome Pete.....Keep us informed of what you find.....

Blood_Hawk23
April 22nd, 2015, 15:59
Thats Awesome. I love things like that. I wonder what might have been left out of the book.

Navy Chief
April 22nd, 2015, 16:31
Interesting question. I have not read the book, but I will say that (after reading some of those letters, articles, and transcripts) I plan to!

The reason Frank Walton wrote that book (or at least partially) was to set the record straight about the real Black Sheep squadron pilots. All of them, including Frank, were more than a little upset at the Hollywood portrayal of them in the Baa Baa Blacksheep TV series. Not surprisingly, the characters bore little to no resemblance to the real life heroes. NC

dasuto247
April 22nd, 2015, 18:17
Interesting question. I have not read the book, but I will say that (after reading some of those letters, articles, and transcripts) I plan to!

The reason Frank Walton wrote that book (or at least partially) was to set the record straight about the real Black Sheep squadron pilots. All of them, including Frank, were more than a little upset at the Hollywood portrayal of them in the Baa Baa Blacksheep TV series. Not surprisingly, the characters bore little to no resemblance to the real life heroes. NC

I have read both of Bruce Gamble's books about Boyington(Black Sheep One) and the Black Sheep, the second book about the squadon as a whole is my favorite.Have yet to read Walton's book but will have to soon.I enjoyed the TV show for what it was but watched it first time knowing it was mostly hollywood but still enjoyed it.

I live in Pensacola as well, have most of my life.I began going to the museum as a boy(early 90's) and still visit a couple times a year, really is a special place.

ejoiner
April 22nd, 2015, 20:29
My task as a volunteer at the Naval Aviation Museum was quite interesting today. The library's curator asked me to inventory a box of donated materials, filled with files, containing correspondence between former pilots of VMF-214 and the author Frank E. Walton, who wrote a book about the Black Sheep squadron. Mr. Walton was also the Intelligence Officer for VMF-214 at that time as well. Included in the files were typewritten transcripts of taped interviews of the pilots.

The book is titled, "Once They Were Eagles: The Men of the Black Sheep Squadron"

It was fascinating, reading through some of the letters, knowing I was reading letters penned by famous WW2 heroes and aces.

NC

So, so fascinating to hear the actual REAL history, not what was recorded for posterity by historians. What were the opinions about Greg Boyington? I have heard he was not popular. He certainly was not when he was with the AVG. My great uncle was with the 14th AF in China and flew with former AVG Flying Tigers.

stansdds
April 23rd, 2015, 02:20
I'm a fan of the 214. The tv series from the 1970's was pure fecal matter and should be regarded as entertainment only as it bore no resemblance to the real 214. Best off to read the books written about the 214 if you want the truth.

Navy Chief
April 23rd, 2015, 04:56
So, so fascinating to hear the actual REAL history, not what was recorded for posterity by historians. What were the opinions about Greg Boyington? I have heard he was not popular. He certainly was not when he was with the AVG. My great uncle was with the 14th AF in China and flew with former AVG Flying Tigers.

I will probably be continuing with this project next Tues on my scheduled day at the museum. I will look through more of the letters to Frank W. from the other pilots.

One other interesting note. Although most of the pilots went on to become quite successful, following the war, one in particular (Christopher Magee) took a somewhat different path. In 1948, he flew with the Israelis (Avia S-199) against the Arabs. Later, he robbed banks, and ended up in prison for several years. I read one of his letters to Frank Walton, where he mentioned spending some years at a couple of "J. Edgar Hoover's resorts" (his actual wording): one in Atlanta;'the other in Leavenworth! Magee died in 1995. To my knowledge, all of the squadron members have passed on now. NC

ViperPilot2
April 23rd, 2015, 09:22
There's another fine book by Bruce Gamble called Swashbucklers and Black Sheep: A Pictorial History of VMF-214 in WW II, with many photographs from Squadron members that were previously unpublished. Another interesting aspect is the coverage Gamble gives to "The Swashbucklers", the incarnation of VMF-214 preceding the formation and service of the Black Sheep.

http://www.amazon.com/Swashbucklers-Black-Sheep-Pictorial-Fighting/dp/0760342504

:wavey:

Ian Warren
April 23rd, 2015, 13:13
I have a few books that cover smaller happenings off the 'Black sheep' and some off the squadrons exploits , and tricks, amazing the actual stories that come from war and in a way become household names and Hero's

One other interesting note. Although most of the pilots went on to become quite successful, following the war, one in particular (Christopher Magee) took a somewhat different path. In 1948, he flew with the Israelis (Avia S-199) against the Arabs. Later, he robbed banks, and ended up in prison for several years. I read one of his letters to Frank Walton, where he mentioned spending some years at a couple of "J. Edgar Hoover's resorts" (his actual wording): one in Atlanta;'the other in Leavenworth! Magee died in 1995. To my knowledge, all of the squadron members have passed on now. NC

CRIKEY ... Bank Robbing fighter pilots ... now he was a real 'Black Sheep', One thing I did read years ago that this was the first sign off adrenal junkies, after being demobbed they had no place to go becoming mercenary's and hired guns.