PDA

View Full Version : Where's My Snow?

LTCSZ
January 28th, 2009, 17:48
As you can see from the attached screen shot, I have suddenly lost the "snow" effect when moving on the ground...Haven't made any changes in textures lately...Advice appreciated! I just checked and all of my Taxi effect textures are gone; dirt, snow, etc...Help! Anyone know if these textures are replaceable from the FSX DVD? Thanks again...

Read my post farther down...I figured it out!

Steve

harleyman
January 28th, 2009, 18:28
Not ignoring you here...But I don't know...

The good news is that there are those here that do..I have seen it before...So , be patient and I'm sure your answer will come....:wavey:

LTCSZ
January 28th, 2009, 18:30
Thanks for the encouragement Harleyman...Hope you are right! I have always gotten great assistance here...Thanks again...Steve

harleyman
January 28th, 2009, 18:41
I do know this...its a texture file that went south,or set of them..For whatever reason......

And there is a way to fix it...People do it all the time..it rather amazes me,they know just what BGL,DLL,Texture file to replace and where to get it...LOL

Hope its sorted soon...

LTCSZ
January 28th, 2009, 19:10
Went back through some old posts I Googled...Turns out the gremlins of FSX deleted a file from the Effects/Texture folder called "FX_1.bmp"...Apparently it happens fairly often, for whatever reason...I copied the same file from FS9 on my HD and placed it in the folder...It worked! Go figure...It is possible to determine which file has been corrupted or deleted by actually reading the Effects file with Notepad and seeing what texture .bmp file is required, then seeing if it is in the Effects/Texture folder...Mine wasn't! Learned something new tonight (and my wife said I couldn't!)...Thanks for your encouragement...Maybe this will help someone else...

Steve

Marlin
January 29th, 2009, 13:31
It is possible to determine which file has been corrupted or deleted by actually reading the Effects file with Notepad and seeing what texture .bmp file is required, then seeing if it is in the Effects/Texture folder...

Great tip!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing

LTCSZ
January 29th, 2009, 13:53
Apparently some developers alter this file for whatever reason and then, if you use an automatic uninstaller to remove their airplane or scenery, the file gets uninstalled with the rest of the stuff...There are lots of references to this if you Google the file name, so it appears to be a common problem...I have now copied these "FS_1.bmp, "FS_2.bmp" etc files to a backup disk...Fool me once, shame on me, etc!

Steve