PDA

View Full Version : G-Effect?

Felixthreeone
October 6th, 2008, 16:17
Just curious as to whether or not anyone knows how to 'tone down' the point at which the G-effect initiates in Kirk Olssen's viper (or any aircraft that utilizes G effect)? It seems to come on a bit early (3-4g's) and can onset in somewhat shallow turns. I've scoured the aircraft and panel cfg's, but don't see anything that looks to be attached to that effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wozza
October 6th, 2008, 16:43
HI
Nope its hard coded in the sim,As its a civilian sim means no modeling of G-suits or screaming(In sim nobody can hear you scream :) )
If your flying fast jets just switch of the blackout in the realism settings
as the sim will only measure up to 10G's
As per the wiki on G-loc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-LOC
"An un-trained individual not used to the g-straining manoevre, can black out between 4 and 6 g, particularly if this is pulled suddenly. A trained, fit individual wearing a g suit and practising the straining manoeuvre, can, with some difficulty, sustain up to 9g without loss of consciousness. Prone position designs in aircraft have not proved successful and the problem has been addressed largely by the development of the G-Suit.So its pretty close in FS9
Cheers
Wozza

Felixthreeone
October 6th, 2008, 16:49
Thanks Wozza! I kinda figured that it was a hard-coded thing....but never hurts to ask. Much appreciated.

LonelyplanetXO
October 6th, 2008, 21:25
Actually, I don't think Wozza's right there. A long time ago I successfully adjusted the point at which G effect occurs on a specific model. It's a setting in either the aircraft.cfg or more likely the old .AIR file. I'll go take a look and see if I can find the setting. I recall at the time the model I was playing around with was a fighter where the pilot wears one of those high G tolerance suits (maybe F18G or F22?), thus the need to change the setting.
BTW he is correct that the G onset is set pretty much right for a civilian sim - a sustained 3-4G would black out an untrained individual, which I can personally attest to, flying as "ballast" in a twin seater aerobatic glider.
LPXO

~Edit: got it, I think. G effect might be linked to the airframe G limit which is a setting in the .AIR . That said, I might be wrong, too. The app I've used to open Daisuke Yamamoto's F18 .AIR is a later version of AIRED (from flightsim.com) than the one I used to use. I could have sworn there were four G limit settings, not two as you see in the pic. Two controlled the +/- airframe stress limits and the other two controlled the onset of black out/red out effects. But in this version of Aired everythings changed. Maybe the G effect is elsewhere... I'd suggest downloading the app, make a backup of your .AIR file and explore it. Just FYI, the .AIR is where M$ used to store all the aircraft performance and spec data way back when before they invented the .aircraft file. In current models the order of priority is 1. any XML gauges, 2. The .aircraft file, but 3. anything not specified in the aforementioned is still retained in the .AIR file...
LPXO

Felixthreeone
October 7th, 2008, 17:57
Thanks lonelyplanet....I do have Airedit; Never thought to look in the .air file though. I might tweak a bit and see what I can come up with. Most Viper drivers are trained for at least 3 to 4 g's as a daily ops average. The plane can pull far more and does so everyday courtesy of our exceptionally well trained USAF/ANG and Navy adversary pilots. So all I am really looking for is an additional one or two g's tolerance so when I fly the overhead approach by the numbers I don't g-loc lol :icon_lol: thanks for your advice!