PDA

View Full Version : Airspeed Indicator in Lotussim L-39

brettt777
April 10th, 2015, 19:18
I am wondering if there is some way to get a KIAS type airspeed indicator in the awesome Lotussim L-39 (besides trying to patch in the face of a KIAS gauge into the instrument .DDS file). This has always been one of my favorite payware planes because Mike has really captured the feel of the L-39 and I know this cuz I work on L-39s for a living. My only issue with this plane is that the airspeed indicator, no matter which version of the plane, is in KPH instead of knots. I wish that one or two of the civilian planes has some western gauges installed, at least the airspeed. I would love to see Pipsqueak decked out in a nice custom instrument panel set up for racing. I design and build custom panels and avionics for the real ones. I could certainly come up with a nice panel for Race 2! You listening Mike?

odourboy
April 11th, 2015, 06:42
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with doing a KIAS face patch for the .DDS file? Seems to me the most expedient solution.

Bjoern
April 11th, 2015, 08:59
I'm pretty sure that real pilots have a better, more accurate technique, but what's wrong with simply dividing airspeed by two to get a rough estimate?

Dutcheeseblend
April 11th, 2015, 09:05
Or use Shift+Z to display KIAS (ao) on top of the window.

Dumonceau
April 11th, 2015, 09:39
I am wondering if there is some way to get a KIAS type airspeed indicator in the awesome Lotussim L-39 (besides trying to patch in the face of a KIAS gauge into the instrument .DDS file). This has always been one of my favorite payware planes because Mike has really captured the feel of the L-39 and I know this cuz I work on L-39s for a living. My only issue with this plane is that the airspeed indicator, no matter which version of the plane, is in KPH instead of knots. I wish that one or two of the civilian planes has some western gauges installed, at least the airspeed. I would love to see Pipsqueak decked out in a nice custom instrument panel set up for racing. I design and build custom panels and avionics for the real ones. I could certainly come up with a nice panel for Race 2! You listening Mike?

We are talking about a simulation here. A simulation of a plane that has metric gauges.

And like Bjoern said, dividing by 2 gives you a good rough estimate. Dividing by 1.8 gives you the exact value.

D.

Cirrus N210MS
April 11th, 2015, 23:06
anyone Geting Corrupt download for the L39 from the fs pilot shop over at flightsim.com? everytime i download it Its corrupt no matter how many times i try:banghead:

Dumonceau
April 11th, 2015, 23:31
anyone Geting Corrupt download for the L39 from the fs pilot shop over at flightsim.com? everytime i download it Its corrupt no matter how many times i try:banghead:

Cirrus,

What browser are you using? And do you use a download manager or just the browser.

I just tried redownloading mine through firefox and don't have a problem!

Cheers,

Dumonceau

fsxar177
April 12th, 2015, 07:38
Brett,

I can't help but wonder, does the '777' in your name reference the 'Tripple Seven' L-39 of Larry Lee ?

- Joseph

Bjoern
April 12th, 2015, 09:02
And like Bjoern said, dividing by 2 gives you a good rough estimate. Dividing by 1.8 gives you the exact value.

1.85 and a few more digits. ;)

brettt777
April 12th, 2015, 16:59
Brett,

I can't help but wonder, does the '777' in your name reference the 'Tripple Seven' L-39 of Larry Lee ?

- Joseph

I do know Larry very well; he's a great guy. I know the plane very well also; N8124N. Unfortunately Larry had an incident with the plane out in Reno a couple years ago and had to make a belly landing with 777. We haven't done anything with the plane as of yet and it may never fly again as it was severely damaged.
In answer to your question, no, the 777 in my name is not related to the plane. At the risk of crossing the PC boundary, it's kind of a Christian thing for me. My faith is very important to me so I use sevens when I can as a reference to God. Biblical scholars say the number 7 signifies perfection and completeness in God’s eyes. It is referenced many, many times in scripture (over 800 times). Please understand I am most definitely NOT trying to say the I am perfect and complete, not by any stretch of the imagination.
Just a side note... Larry Lee also has a PT-6 powered Piper Malibu that is... 7777.

ryanbatc
April 12th, 2015, 17:00
There was a mod floating around somewhere... originally mentioned on the lotussim forums... the link is obviously dead as that was 5 years ago I suppose.

brettt777
April 12th, 2015, 17:01
Brett,

- Joseph

I do know Larry very well; he's a great guy. I know the plane very well also; N8124N. One of my daughters flew with him in some formation flying a few years back at one of our fly-ins. Unfortunately Larry had an incident with the plane out in Reno a couple years ago and had to make a belly landing with 777. We haven't done anything with the plane as of yet and it may never fly again as it was severely damaged.
In answer to your question, no, the 777 in my name is not related to the plane. At the risk of crossing the PC boundary, it's kind of a Christian thing for me. My faith is very important to me so I use sevens when I can as a reference to God. Biblical scholars say the number 7 signifies perfection and completeness in God’s eyes. It is referenced many, many times in scripture (over 800 times). Please understand I am most definitely NOT trying to say the I am perfect and complete, not by any stretch of the imagination.
Just a side note... Larry Lee also has a PT-6 powered Piper Malibu that is... 7777.

brettt777
April 12th, 2015, 17:05
We are talking about a simulation here. A simulation of a plane that has metric gauges.

D.

I understand it's a simulation and the plane had KPH gauges originally. But I also know that 99% of the L-39s flying in North America have KIAS gauges now. And simulation or not, when Pipsqueak is screaming around Reno at 500 knots, it's definitely not gonna have a KPH gauge in it.

brettt777
April 12th, 2015, 17:20
Brett,

- Joseph

Here's a pic of 777 after the belly landing...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21823&stc=1

fsxar177
April 12th, 2015, 17:23
(sorry to have two completely different topics going..)

Brett,

I was well aware of the accident at PRS a couple years ago. I am an Avid Air-Race buff, having attended the races 21 times so far..

We haven't been very active at FASA (http://www.fsxairsports.com) lately, but we hope to in the near future. Come and check us out! I am still working on our Reno scenery, which will feature excellent detail on terrain mesh, textures, new 3d objects, and the Race courses being in their exact location, per the real world courses. (I've been out on the course numerous times as well, and have many references for which to accomplish this with super accuracy).

I've lost friends out there.. It's a special place for me. Jimmy Leeward, Gary Hubler, and Tommy Rose were all personal friends of mine. I miss Jimmy's generosity, Gary's class, and Tommy's sense of humor, all the time.

Very thankful that Larry made it in ok with the -39.

I am also a Christian, and certainly understand the significance of '7'. Excellent! (Hence the 177 in my name, and also coincidentally Jimmy's race #, and my birthday) It's great to meet another Christian!

Best regards,
- Joseph

Cirrus N210MS
April 12th, 2015, 20:54
Cirrus,

What browser are you using? And do you use a download manager or just the browser.

I just tried redownloading mine through firefox and don't have a problem!

Cheers,

Dumonceau

i used firefox

brettt777
April 14th, 2015, 20:30
(sorry to have two completely different topics going..)

Brett,

I was well aware of the accident at PRS a couple years ago. I am an Avid Air-Race buff, having attended the races 21 times so far..

We haven't been very active at FASA (http://www.fsxairsports.com) lately, but we hope to in the near future. Come and check us out! I am still working on our Reno scenery, which will feature excellent detail on terrain mesh, textures, new 3d objects, and the Race courses being in their exact location, per the real world courses. (I've been out on the course numerous times as well, and have many references for which to accomplish this with super accuracy).

I've lost friends out there.. It's a special place for me. Jimmy Leeward, Gary Hubler, and Tommy Rose were all personal friends of mine. I miss Jimmy's generosity, Gary's class, and Tommy's sense of humor, all the time.

Very thankful that Larry made it in ok with the -39.

I am also a Christian, and certainly understand the significance of '7'. Excellent! (Hence the 177 in my name, and also coincidentally Jimmy's race #, and my birthday) It's great to meet another Christian!

Best regards,
- Joseph

I just found out from my boss that 777 is on it's way to our facility in KGAD and we will be repairing her and stripping all unnecessary weight out of her and she will race again!!!
I see that you are from Idaho. Not sure where Prairie is but I use to live in Mountain Home back in the mid 60's when I was a kid.

fsxar177
April 14th, 2015, 22:54
I'm an hour North of Mountain home.. small world!

- Joseph