PDA

View Full Version : Steve's DX10 Fixer - HUGE attaboy

heywooood
April 6th, 2015, 20:20
I don't think I'm overstepping when I say that the DX10 Fixer has made FSX 100 times better in all aspects of gameplay - from improving the lighting, to making it possible to use legacy aircraft and scenery, to allowing for greatly improved FPS owing to the advantages in the DX10 preview mode over DX9 and on and on...

I know Steve isn't under appreciated but I just want to be sure he knows what a value his program has added to the FSX experience in my opinion and that I don't think I am alone when I say, Thanks Steve - I know FSX wouldn't be nearly as much fun to fly without the DX10 Fixer - it is Essential

lownslo
April 6th, 2015, 21:01
I'll second your attaboy! Steve's DX10 Fixer has added new life to a sim many thought was dead and gone.

Greg

DennyA
April 6th, 2015, 21:30
When using FS8 planes with DX10 fixer, does it just fix the visuals, or does it also somehow cure the big frame rate hit you get when using them?

mjrhealth
April 6th, 2015, 21:57
When using FS8 planes with DX10 fixer, does it just fix the visuals, or does it also somehow cure the big frame rate hit you get when using them?

No it cant fix FS9 plane issues the model would ned to be recompiled that is the only way.

expat
April 7th, 2015, 02:12
Does that mean that all of my FS2004 AI aircraft will remain all white in color in FSX using DX10?

mjrhealth
April 7th, 2015, 03:21
Majority of my AI are from WOAI and are FS9 I dont have any issues, you could try converting them all to DDS might help the FPS but I think only messing with the Textures will you fix them. I just cant for the life of right now think of what needs to be changrd.

grunau_baby
April 7th, 2015, 03:32
With all the positive bits that come with DX10 I guess I am the odd one out here;-) After getting a a new rig recently I fully satisfied returned to DX9. Now why?

It was exactly those permanent issues with DX10 concerning older addons or certain - only partly compatible - scenery addons that kept buggering me over and over. Yes, the FPS are better, so is lighting, sharper textures, the vc-shaddows a nice feature, BUT in my opinion FSX simply wasn´t completely made for DX10, so e.g. the REX textures, especially inland water, etc. stil look way better in DX9.

I must confess though Steve did a tremendous job and really nailed the DX10 functionalities for FSX, made it finally work. So I guess I will switch if necessary, but for now I keep returning to DX9, cause with a decent rig it still runs smooth if tweaked out and doesn´t cause me any trouble with older favorite addons.

Regards
Alex

TeiscoDelRay
April 7th, 2015, 04:41
For me the fixer works great and FSX now runs and works better than PD3.

Lewis-A2A
April 7th, 2015, 04:53
Dx10 works great, but yes if using none FSX aircraft/scenery in FSX you will run into issues, its a bit strange to say its FSX DX10 fault for this though.

TeiscoDelRay
April 7th, 2015, 04:56
I have been able to fix most of the older addons using the Fixer's toolbox and the 8 bit correction tool.

expat
April 7th, 2015, 05:28
I have tried - once - the DX10 "preview" (don't see why it's not referred to as the "main feature" once you have switched over) but went back to DX9 after just a day, for the reasons cited above. All those conversions (AI and scenery) would take me forever and not worth the marginal benefits (have a high end Haswell 4700 gig o/c rig and card).

lownslo
April 7th, 2015, 06:05
The DX10 "preview" is nothing like Steve's Fixer... where the "preview" ends the Fixer begins. Steve has done a monumental job bringing out so many DX10 features of the sim.

Greg

Bjoern
April 7th, 2015, 06:22
Just tried the DX10 Preview mode in FSXSE. My framerates are actually 50% lower (without AA and AF, mind you) and my custom (FSX native) road traffic models are causing flashes of huge, multicolored polygons all across the landscape. So I'm with Alex. #teamDX9

Lewis-A2A
April 8th, 2015, 03:40
Steves dx10 fixer is the thread though, not the basic FSX SP2 dx10 preview :wiggle:

Bjoern
April 8th, 2015, 04:41
Blame Alex, he started it. ;)

vortex
April 8th, 2015, 06:08
Another big thumbs up from me. I've yet to have any issues with DX10 using Steve's Fixer. Admittedly I only use native FSX aircraft and scenery but all of my add-ons (both aircraft and scenery) work flawlessly. Apart from better performance on my older, very modest system, I love the cockpit shadows which seem to have little or no effect on framerates.

DaveQ
April 8th, 2015, 11:15
Has anybody got a link to Steves's DX10 fixer? Looked for it some time ago and had the impression it was no longer available.

Thanks folks

DaveQ

delta_lima
April 8th, 2015, 11:52
Has anybody got a link to Steves's DX10 fixer? Looked for it some time ago and had the impression it was no longer available.

Thanks folks

DaveQ

I bought it at the flightsim store, looks like now it's only here:

http://sites.fastspring.com/stevesfsxanalysis/product/dx10sceneryfixer

dl

heywooood
April 8th, 2015, 19:30
looks like he is distributing the file himself - I hope I can still get updates - I bought from the vendor...

heywooood
April 8th, 2015, 19:37
I have tried - once - the DX10 "preview" (don't see why it's not referred to as the "main feature" once you have switched over) but went back to DX9 after just a day, for the reasons cited above. All those conversions (AI and scenery) would take me forever and not worth the marginal benefits (have a high end Haswell 4700 gig o/c rig and card).

you tried the DX10 preview mode - but not the DX10 fixer then?
you can still find the set of free files that Steve made for FSX DX10 at the usual sites...maybe try those with the preview mode to see if your frame rates improve.
= note that these are not all of the fixes you get in the paid program, but you get the idea

I was not sold at first (before the Fixer program was released) because I was getting great results in DX9..with the exception of my FPS drop whenever I wanted to fly in weather...now I have great FPS throughout and I can have bloom enabled and fly most FS9 ports without any show stopping texture issues

lownslo
April 8th, 2015, 21:06
- I hope I can still get updates - I bought from the vendor...

I bought from the vendor too, and I got the 2.7 update from them. We will continue to get our updates from them until further notice.

Greg

heywooood
April 8th, 2015, 21:20
good to know - thank you - I am also on v2.7....its the next one I am concerned about TBH

I do appreciate also how frequently Steve updates the DX10 fixer library! really impressive that it seems to be almost weekly -

DaveQ
April 9th, 2015, 07:42
I bought it at the flightsim store, looks like now it's only here:

http://sites.fastspring.com/stevesfsxanalysis/product/dx10sceneryfixer

dl
Thanks Daniel. Been away but will get now.

DaveQ

delta_lima
April 9th, 2015, 07:52
No problem Dave.

From my experience (9ish months or so) there's been no downside whatsoever. Minimal fiddling (maybe a couple of hours over the first week or so-mostly to read / experiment with the various settings). I get to use most of my FS9 addons, with the advantages of nicer eye candy afforded by DX10. Win-Win.

dl

mthrift
April 9th, 2015, 10:08
Here's another big thumb's up from me for Steve's DX10 Fixer. :encouragement:

My FSX rig is a little dated, and I had never even attempted to run in DX10 mode. After hearing the positive reviews, I bought Steve's Fixer. My system now runs more smoothly with higher settings AND I get VC shadows, which is a really nice feature to me. Note that I use a great many FSX aircraft, but also quite a few non-FSX, and the fixer deals with them really well.

Lastly, I'd like to give a shout-out to the team here at SOH that worked on the DX10 How-To guide and watch over the DX10 sub-forum. The How-To guide vastly simplified the installation and tweaking process to get the most of what the Fixer can do.

Thanks! :applause:

Michael

heywooood
April 9th, 2015, 20:12
one more point I thought I should make as the OP on this topic...

Whether the DX10 Fixer works for you or doesn't - is not on Steve - he is just working around and through all the broken schtuff MS left in their wake when they rushed to publish FSX...all unfinished, as it were.

DX9 worked well enough for me and I had had my fill of tweaking and tweaking and tweaking FSX to make it so - believe me - I didn't really want to "start over" with DX10....However -

With all the guides available, mostly hosted right here at SOH, and with some assistance from other forum members, I am glad I made the switch to DX10 - and I guess I'm lucky that it works for my rig.

I can see not wanting to lay out the cash upfront in the hope it will work, so if DX10 preview (without the fixer) doesn't give you increased frame rates over DX9 then there is probably no reason to take the risk.

But test it this way - select a default aircraft (Cessna 172) - set all scenery sliders to the halfway mark (not trying to win a pageant here - set the in-game FPS controller to "unlimited" - select KORS Orcas Island for the takeoff - and select fair weather midday - fly it once in DX9 and then in DX10 preview with the FPS counter running and see for certain
whether your FPS are consistently higher or lower in the preview mode...

When I finally tested it this way I was shocked at how fluid the movements were, panning the camera in the VC and the glassy smoothness of the flyby views in the Preview mode compared to the DX9 mode- which- even at the reduced settings I outlined above showed some chop and stutter

lownslo
April 11th, 2015, 19:16
I just downloaded 2.8 from the FlightSim Store (before they had a chance to send me email notification... logged in there to check my account). Installed fine and is good to go!

Greg

DaveQ
April 12th, 2015, 07:23
D/L'ed and installed - what a difference!! A great tool for twenty quid! Now I can see all those 'legacy' FS9 birds in DX10 with proper shadows external and vc as well. Awesome Man!:very_drunk:

Only one recurring issue - afterburners don't show unless coded in the model (e.g. the SSW F-104). Is there a fix or forum somewhere here?

Thanks

DaveQ

Lewis-A2A
April 13th, 2015, 15:57
Dave you might have to run the effects to convert them for afterburners to work?

thanks,
Lewis

Paul Domingue
April 13th, 2015, 19:58
Steve gets a two thumbs up from me. He was able to solve a problem on my Duck that I overlooked and probably would have recreated in some other models. He didn't have to do that but the fact that he took the time to research the issue for my model and instruct me on the errors is nothing but exemplary on his part. His DX10 Fixer is an excellent addon for any serious FS enthusiast.