PDA

View Full Version : transferring files from one pc to another pc

Daveroo
April 1st, 2015, 09:51
is there a simple way to do this?..software? or external hdd?

my currant HDD is full,and i hate to ask pops for another loan right now..:redfire: that would be his reaction..

airtj
April 1st, 2015, 10:25
An external hard drive would be an easy route, I know you can hook two computers up through the ethernet port, ive never done that before.

Lane Street
April 1st, 2015, 10:27
If they are hooked up to a local network sharing files is very easy.

If not a USB thumb drive could be used.

cheers,
Lane

Jafo
April 1st, 2015, 11:41
Always copy...never 'move'.
Once you have determined no corruption/loss occurred during the copy process you can then delete....;)

Daveroo
April 1st, 2015, 12:48
yeah i always copy first...but thanks for that comment......but it seems now..after giving it some thougfht...im going to continue to use this pc im on now for all online stuff..surfing i mean...and the new one only for games..but i was wondering about networking them...i just dont know how...i had some software i think at one time because my dad and i connected aat one point we fixed his from here...but never did it again.

n4gix
April 2nd, 2015, 07:24
Dave, a small network is very inexpensive and simple to set up. Really!

Netgear ProSafe FS105 Ethernet Switch
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=383560&csid=_61

2 cables of appropriate length:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=cat+5+cables

Once hooked up, setting up the network software built into the operating system is pretty painless and quick!

Alternatively, you could buy an inexpensive "Crossover Cable" that will connect the two computers to one another directly. Again, setting up the network software is fairly quick and painless.

PHo17
April 3rd, 2015, 00:54
If one is connected to Internet for example with an ADSL modem there usually are 1-3 extra LAN ports for LAN cables at the back of the modem. Then the LAN cables are the only things one needs to buy. In the new ones (modems) there is also WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) antenna that gives more possibilities to build up a home network. Wired LAN is usually faster and more secure. Modern WLAN is a good alternative once it is secured with password. Mine uses besides MAC addresses and doesn't broadcast so it can't even be seen outward by unwanted clients.

Of course one must first make up the connection to the network through Windows Control Panel from each computers. Usually the modem settings are managed through Internet browser (put that connection also behind a password or the life for hackers is made too easy). How to do this it's worth reading the manual that comes with the modem (or other equipment involved).

Pekka

DaveB
April 3rd, 2015, 02:24
At the last place I lived (a pub!!) I needed a switchbox to get all the pc's we used to get online. The wireless hub I had was a BT Voyager 2000 and it's signal wasn't particularly strong. It had to be situated in our living room and I could connect wirelessly to one side but it needed to transmit through the kitchen which it didn't like hence the need for a switch. As n4gix says.. they're cheap as chips and blissfully simple to use.

However (and easier still) is the method described by Pekka. I now have a Thomson hub (supplied by PlusNet) to which I have this pc and my old WinXP pc connected via Ethernet cable. These pc's see one another through the hub and it's easy-peasy to pass any file between them. One is Win7 mind you and every now and again, it will let me see the XP pc but the XP pc won't see the Win7 pc. I also have a laptop (Vista.. just to complicate things) and this uses the network wirelessly. Trying to get all 3 OS to play nicely can be a chore sometimes but this rarely happens. Rather than waste energy.. if I need something off the Vista laptop, I copy it to a USB flash drive.

Added to this, my HP all-in-one printer isn't wireless (though many are these days). In order to print from any pc.. I used to have it connected to one pc and make the printer a network printer. Using this method, you have to have the 'main' pc turned on and other pc's print 'through that'. A more elegant method (and how I now have it set up) is to use a Printer Server.. mine is by TP-Link and is inexpensive. This is plugged into the Thomson hub.. TP-Link software is installed on each pc and these can print direct to the printer through the network without any other pc being needed. A slight OT I know but it shows what can be done with the minimum of fuss or outlay;)

ATB
DaveB:)

roger-wilco-66
April 3rd, 2015, 03:34
Dave, my 2ct about copying / backups and using an external drive.

I use a simple piece of software that goes by the name of "Traybackup" for backing up various parts of my system to external disks. The good thing about is that you don't need to run a special software to access the backups (e.g. in case you want to access a backup version of a particular file) and it makes incremental backups, meaning that if a source file has not changed since the last backup Traybackup skips copying it. Hence the regular backups usually go like a breeze !

Cheers,
Mark

Daveroo
April 3rd, 2015, 10:30
Thanks Mark..i will look into that..dave