PDA

View Full Version : Been working on a Aluminum Texture color

Mach3DS
March 31st, 2015, 21:01
Very Very early test. Completely new color and texture I'm trying out for aircraft aluminum. What do you think? Don't worry about the reflection so much as the color and little scratches etc. Is is ok?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7643/16374197424_47309a7b3b_o.jpg

StormILM
March 31st, 2015, 21:21
Nice! Can't wait to see the final version(s)!

Ian Warren
March 31st, 2015, 21:32
Petal the Metal Rick :encouragement:

Peg o my heart
March 31st, 2015, 21:53
Very Very early test. Completely new color and texture I'm trying out for aircraft aluminum. What do you think? Don't worry about the reflection so much as the color and little scratches etc. Is is ok?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7643/16374197424_47309a7b3b_o.jpg

Is it OK? No. It is not OK. It is AMAZING ! :redfire:

Daube
April 1st, 2015, 00:30
Hell yes !!
However, it's a bit too much reflective like that. I would reduce the reflection power a tiny bit. Like, only 5 or 10% less, see what I mean ? To keep these nice reflections (chrome effect) but to avoid have a real mirror.

Dutcheeseblend
April 1st, 2015, 01:18
Indeed very nice!

Could you lower the reflectivity so we can have a bit better look at the texture? It looks very nice now, but a bit too blue I think. The blue could be from the environment map though.

jankees
April 1st, 2015, 01:18
color looks good to me, but as said before, a bit too shiny

ZsoltB
April 1st, 2015, 01:54
:applause:

expat
April 1st, 2015, 02:24
Looks excellent to me. Question though whether on something like this peoples' mileage will vary significantly due to different machine specs/settings?

gman5250
April 1st, 2015, 02:45
From what I can see in the screen cap it looks like you are very close. Leaving the reflection value out of the analysis of course.

The deep black on the upper surface is very convincing. The trick is balancing the spec values in relation to the cube map. It looks good.

The bump alpha/spec alpha look exceptional. Without seeing the aircraft in motion it's always difficult to tell.

It's a bit hard to perceive your weathering because of the shine, but it appears that your foundation should produce a good end result. The magic is always in the texture art, hand painting the panel wear rather than using noise in the spec layer is the best approach. IMHO

Looks like a really good start. Beautiful.

Mach3DS
April 1st, 2015, 04:27
Too much reflection...Agreed. I just threw an alpha at it to get it in sim...I will reduce it..Ok sounds like color is good :) Gman is correct. Lots to do. Fiction is good!

Bjoern
April 1st, 2015, 07:56
I'd take it.

Bone
April 2nd, 2015, 07:51
beautiful !

Mach3DS
April 4th, 2015, 13:17
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7613/17033337971_9a3a36eb2e_o.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8743/17033347511_837605a131_o.jpg

Dutcheeseblend
April 4th, 2015, 13:25
I think you got it!

Ian Warren
April 4th, 2015, 13:52
Now that has come up extremely well :encouragement:

Daube
April 4th, 2015, 14:05
This is getting extremely close to "photorealistic". Especially on the second shot :encouragement:

EDIT: just to be sure, this is the Vertigo Panther, right ? I haven't bought it.... yet...

ce_zeta
April 4th, 2015, 14:11
Now, superb Rick. :encouragement:

Mach3DS
April 4th, 2015, 14:16
Vertigo Studios F9F. Thank you. Getting closer. Applied to a stock paint, as to not reinvent the wheel.

Daube
April 4th, 2015, 14:21
Thanks for the info :) This plane is getting a 40% discount at pcaviator for Easter sales. I think I'm going to pick it up.

Applied to a stock paint, as to not reinvent the wheel.
Would that mean that any repaint from that plane could benefit from these improvements just by copying a few files over ?

Mach3DS
April 4th, 2015, 14:59
Unfortunately no. It's cutom made to the specific paint. But the template I made can be applied with minimal work.

odourboy
April 4th, 2015, 15:50
Looking really nice Rick!

DaveB
April 5th, 2015, 02:10
Had my eye on the Panther for some time but couldn't decide if it was 'me' or not. Last time it was in a sale, I ended up getting the Razbam Banshee instead!!!:banghead: This paint however has prompted me to grab a copy and I'm glad I did. It's a lovely carrier model.. nice gentle flight dynamics and you can see the carrier without having to fiddle around with the eyepoint:biggrin-new:

You'd better release this paint now Rick:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

Dumonceau
April 5th, 2015, 02:26
Oh WOW!! Can't wait to see what it looks like in P3D!!!

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2015, 08:18
Oh WOW!! Can't wait to see what it looks like in P3D!!!

Most Likely I will have to redo it. P3D and FSX handle alpha channel slightly differently. Depending on how much reflection is allowed by the model, from what I've read around. There are a few models I've found that have virtually no difference between fsx and P3D though. A certain Milviz model works equally well for example while the Glowing heat model requires a complete redo of my polished aluminum paint. It needs to be darker alpha. But in will test it in P3D.

gman5250
April 5th, 2015, 08:41
P3D:

You're going to find a lot more flexibility with your bump/alpha spec/alpha combinations. For DX11 capable cards, the light rendering is much more sensitive in P3D. Applications of your three alpha options will act cumulatively. Your spec layers will be much more light interactive.

FYI, keep your bump maps with their alphas at a lower rendering resolution. For instance if your skin is 4096, render your bumps at 2048. The bump alpha will render the details more smoothly with less pixilation, while providing a very lively light shift in the contours.

Maybe at some point, P3D will allow switching cube maps as altitude increases. Once above the cloud layer, a cube map with deep black/blue upper would be killer. Fun to think about the possibilities....

I love this plane....your skins are really stunning Rick.

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2015, 10:36
Thanks gman. I appreciate the instruction as I'm still very new at this repaint thing. I'm also much slower at production and release of skins than some of you master repainters.

Can this same reduction of bump resolution be used in fsx with similar behavior results? Although I will be switching to P3D exclusively, I started this skin in fsx and want to finish it up for everyone here.

gman5250
April 5th, 2015, 11:13
Thanks gman. I appreciate the instruction as I'm still very new at this repaint thing. I'm also much slower at production and release of skins than some of you master repainters.

Can this same reduction of bump resolution be used in fsx with similar behavior results? Although I will be switching to P3D exclusively, I started this skin in fsx and want to finish it up for everyone here.

The technique will work for your FSX and P3D skins. The only difference is the DX11 light rendering.

A couple of tricks that work well for me:

Don't use an embedded alpha channel in your original Photoshop bump map . Create your bump alpha separately and combine the two in DXTBmp.
When I create a bump map for rivets and panel lines, I build the grayscale map at half resolution of the color texture art. Then I double the image size i.e. from 1024 to 2048...only for the bump map. This will soften your panel lines and rivets grayscale and blend the high/low contrasts, eliminating the square pixel look.

I hand paint exaggerated highlight and shadows onto each panel for the bump map. Reference the Red Bull P-38 skins I posted here to see the result. You will get really nice stressed panels using that technique. You will have to experiment with each aircraft to see how the model reacts to the intensity of these height maps.
I'm working on a revised HD skin for MJ's DAK using this technique.

I save a master grayscale, then run the Nvidia normal map filter and save the working bump map separately.

Save the final bump.dds file as DXT3. I tried 32 bit, but things got too grainy.

You can save your color texture files at 32 bit for good rendering in P3D. Of course it doubles the file size, but higher end systems will handle it nicely.

I keep a collection of Fresnel ramps and cube maps handy. I run parallel texture files in the working aircraft folder with the different cube/Fresnel combinations. I open each aircraft I the sim and compare them where I can see them in motion. I tend to run cube maps consistent with the environment i.e. mountainous as in the case of where I live.

I also replace the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome in the sim texture folder with something more to my liking...usually a more aggressive and detailed cube map. If I want something unique to a single aircraft, I write it to the individual file.

G

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2015, 22:09
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8826/17050985335_7dea9e1889_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7609/16428538484_ab8baf3299_o.jpg

Mach3DS
April 7th, 2015, 14:47
I've added Tip tank anti-glare paint and I think it's done? Also have a mix and match used version as well :) What do you think? I feel like it's done...although I don't have much time ATM, and so I could use some eyes on to find errors etc...Thanks!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8696/16883680278_24cc0ba87b_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7666/16883927650_dd74567865_o.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8736/16864069067_0a7fc9f431_o.jpg

Mach3DS
April 7th, 2015, 14:48
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8758/16864165967_cd165230cc_o.jpg

fsxar177
April 7th, 2015, 15:18
This is some of your best work yet Rick.. +1!

- Joseph

DaveB
April 7th, 2015, 15:25
I have to say, it's quite a stunning paint. Shiny but not too shiny.. just the right mix. I'm even more glad I bought the Panther model to go with it:very_drunk:

ATB

Mach3DS
April 7th, 2015, 15:31
Thanks Joseph! Thanks Dave. If I get the time I will release it today unless I find somenfixes. ;)

TARPSBird
April 7th, 2015, 15:31
Rick, I'd say you've got it about as good as it's gonna get. :encouragement: Pls upload your finished work for those of us who have the Vertigo F9F package. I'd like to play around with the textures to see if I could come up with a pre-WWII aluminum/silver paint color.

Ian Warren
April 7th, 2015, 15:58
Rick :adoration: Looks almost brand spanking new - Metalated < my newly invented word :encouragement:

gman5250
April 7th, 2015, 17:01
I had done a set of skins for this bird, but lost them when the HD crashed.

This is a beautiful piece of work Rick. I'll look forward to the download.

Two thumbs up.....

Mach3DS
April 7th, 2015, 19:48
If there are any errors please let me.know and I'll try to fix it.

Daube
April 7th, 2015, 23:49
Honnestly, it looks fantastic. :ernaehrung004:

PS: do you think you could apply such metallic textures on the current C-97 project ? (I don't even know if they would be suitable...)

DaveB
April 8th, 2015, 02:23
Beautiful Rick:encouragement:

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/panther6.jpg

ATB

Daube
April 8th, 2015, 03:36
Dave, you might want to install a new envmap texture in your FSX. The default one lacks a bit of colors ;)

Mach3DS
April 8th, 2015, 04:42
yes, I should have mentioned it in the readme...I use an alternate envmap. The same as used in the Warbirdsim mustangs. It adds color and lighting to the reflectivity. I don't remember the name however! If John (Bomber_12th) might comment, or someone who knows....I will update the readme. Thanks!

Daube
April 8th, 2015, 05:54
Try that one, it was made by Bananabob :)
(and it gives fantastic results with John's repaints for the Texan, for example)

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=129335

Mach3DS
April 8th, 2015, 06:10
I remembered! It's by Rob Rivera.

dvj
April 8th, 2015, 07:17
DX10/FSX/Shade

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/04/09/reflection.jpg

dvj
April 8th, 2015, 07:29
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/04/09/f9f.jpg

dougal
April 8th, 2015, 08:05
Stunning! Awesome! Hoofin'! The Dogs Wottsits!.... Need i go on;-)

THANK YOU!

Daube
April 8th, 2015, 08:07
Wow ! :dizzy:

dvj
April 8th, 2015, 08:14
final one this morning.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/04/09/Untitled-2.jpg

Dumonceau
April 8th, 2015, 08:25
This is what it looks like in my P3D setup

http://s8.postimg.org/8h68lgu1x/Silver_Panther_P3_D.jpg

Very nice!! Thanks for this!

Johan

Mach3DS
April 8th, 2015, 08:35
Beautiful screens! I just want to thank gman, daveq, John Terrell (Bomber-12th), jankees and Joseph (fsxar177) for giving a newbie in the world of repaints tips and instruction when I've asked. I consider them the masters of the repaint world. Im striving to even attempt to approach their level. I've got a long way to go! ;) thanks for the kind words gents!

fsxar177
April 8th, 2015, 09:20
I'm flattered!

DaveB
April 8th, 2015, 12:51
Try that one, it was made by Bananabob :)
(and it gives fantastic results with John's repaints for the Texan, for example)

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=129335

Thanks VM for the pointer:encouragement:

Rick.. I've got all the WBS Mustangs so I can use that as a backup:very_drunk:
ATB

DaveB
April 8th, 2015, 15:31
Guy's..

What's the best way to go about using these alternate envmaps? JT uses individual maps in the texture folders of the WBS models whereas Bob's are replacements for the default maps in the main texture folder.

ATB

Mach3DS
April 8th, 2015, 16:03
you can do the same thing. If you place it in the main fsx texture folder it will replace it globally. if you place it in the "texture" folder of the f9f that is the root folder that the other textures reference for additional textures not found in the individual folders. This way you can choose an ENVMAP that suits the aircraft.

Mach3DS
April 8th, 2015, 22:54
This is what it looks like in my P3D setup

http://s8.postimg.org/8h68lgu1x/Silver_Panther_P3_D.jpg

Very nice!! Thanks for this!

Johan

are you running P3Dv2.5? Mine does not show the alpha at all?

Daube
April 8th, 2015, 23:23
you can do the same thing. If you place it in the main fsx texture folder it will replace it globally. if you place it in the "texture" folder of the f9f that is the root folder that the other textures reference for additional textures not found in the individual folders. This way you can choose an ENVMAP that suits the aircraft.

Exactely.
Just place the files into the FSX\Texture folder. In this way, any aircraft that does not use its own specific envmap/chrome effect will end up using Bananabob's one per default :)

Dumonceau
April 8th, 2015, 23:30
are you running P3Dv2.5? Mine does not show the alpha at all?

Yes I am. But I use the HDR tweak and BananaBob's envmap.

Cheers,

Johan

stansdds
April 9th, 2015, 02:01
I am horrible when it comes to making natural metal textures. Those textures are just freaking awesome!

dougal
April 9th, 2015, 02:39
How cool would this be on an F86 or Lightning;-)))))

DaveB
April 9th, 2015, 04:46
How cool would this be on an F86 or Lightning;-)))))

Y'know.. I was thinking exactly the same:encouragement:

Daube/Rick.. thanks for that. I'll give it a go;)
ATB

Mach3DS
April 9th, 2015, 06:29
The Milviz F86 currently does not support alpha channel. But it will. ;) Bill has posted that much here. Thanks Stansdds!

DaveB
April 9th, 2015, 07:12
Okey doh.. these are with Bob's replacement Envmaps in the main Texture directory..

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/panther7.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/panther8.jpg

I see exactly what you mean about my original shot lacking colour although it looked great to me.:encouragement:
ATB

Daube
April 9th, 2015, 13:27
Now it looks spectacular, doesn't it ?
I'm glad you enjoy this. Bananabob did a great job with that envmap, and the combination with these new textures by Rick produced a fantastic result.

By the way, if you have Wozza's Texan installed in your FSX, you might want to take a look at John Terrell's metallic repaints as well, because they will also benefit from this envmap modification.

DaveB
April 9th, 2015, 16:13
Now it looks spectacular, doesn't it ?

It does indeed.. I love it:encouragement:
I'll seek out Wozza's Texan and JT's repaints for it. Thanks again for pointing me to Bob's alternative maps;)
ATB

expat
April 10th, 2015, 00:36

Done that - thanks. Tried it out on the Glowing Heat B-58 Hustler with the - I think your - polished metal repaint. Looks fantastic.

Mach3DS
April 10th, 2015, 07:25
Done that - thanks. Tried it out on the Glowing Heat B-58 Hustler with the - I think your - polished metal repaint. Looks fantastic.

I should have put that in the readme for all my polished paints...I basically build paint around the envmap...so that it goes specifically with it. Did I do this on purpose? Heck no. I just happened to have changed out my envmap globally a long time ago, with John Terrells T-6 paints for the wozza T-6. When I started with the Hustler paint, the envmap was already changed out. Since then all my polished paints utilized that map. I was unaware until now (lack of experience) that it would affect the outcome so much. I thank you guys for pointing out the issue in P3D, which is now changed out for me as well. Glad you like the Hustler paint!

DaveQ
April 10th, 2015, 08:35
The Milviz F86 currently does not support alpha channel. But it will. ;) Bill has posted that much here. Thanks Stansdds!

Stunning work Rick!! Tried to get the alpha to work with the MV F-86 but failed. Stuck with a ramped-up spec which looks about right for a well-used bird but nothing like this! How's it done??

DaveQ

Mach3DS
April 10th, 2015, 09:09
DaveQ! Well, for this one I was able to acquire a really nice photo of a metal panel with finger prints, smudges and swirl marks. I really wanted to incorporate this into a paint. But my actual "painting" skills are still being developed...however, I knew I could do something with the aluminum look. I also was able to get a subscription to Adobe CC. So rather than work with the limited adobe PSE 8 (which I previously was) I'm able to do so much more! So rather than reinvent the wheel with a new "paint" I used a stock paint with heavily edited Alphas and specs. It's still not perfect, but I'm seeing improvement in my work the more repaints I try! Hopefully the community enjoys them. :)

gman5250
April 10th, 2015, 09:34
Beautiful screens! I just want to thank gman, daveq, John Terrell (Bomber-12th), jankees and Joseph (fsxar177) for giving a newbie in the world of repaints tips and instruction when I've asked. I consider them the masters of the repaint world. Im striving to even attempt to approach their level. I've got a long way to go! ;) thanks for the kind words gents!

Any time Rick, and I'm flattered that you would count me amongst these true masters. You've got the prime ingredient...passion with an appropriate measure of insanity as well.

Thank you sir.

sarwulf
April 10th, 2015, 13:36
I just purchased the Vertigo Studios Panther (on sale of course) because of these new aluminum repaints. Absolutely Beautiful!

DaveB
April 10th, 2015, 14:10
Well.. that's two of us!:encouragement:

Daube..
Thanks VM for the HU on Wozza's FSX Texan. I'm sure I had an FS9 version but hadn't seen this one before. Took the time to find the model and updates plus a selection of JT's paints. Payware quality for free:very_drunk:

ATB

Mach3DS
April 10th, 2015, 18:40
Any time Rick, and I'm flattered that you would count me amongst these true masters. You've got the prime ingredient...passion with an appropriate measure of insanity as well.

Thank you sir.

I think they gave me 1 tablespoon of insanity when only a teaspoon was called for!

DaveB
April 12th, 2015, 03:45
Not too far OT I hope..

With regard to Bob's replacement envmaps.. I discovered a good case NOT to put them into the main texture folder yesterday. For something different, I pulled one of the WBS Restored paints out of the hangar.. Twilight Tear. JT did stunning envmaps for the metal finish restored models and having Bob's replacements in the main texture folder is just too much. While the fuse looks ok, the wings are just too blue.. they actually LOOK blue unless the model is on a knife-edge!! The combination is great on JT's Texan paints and I'm sure a few others I've yet to look at but it does spoil the restored WBS Mustangs. Not sure what to do now.

ATB

jankees
April 12th, 2015, 04:51
you can drop it only in the main texture folder of the models where you think it will work?

Bone
April 12th, 2015, 05:20
Can you do one without the Navy/military insignia, with just the sun glare diffuser paint in front of the windscreen?

DaveB
April 12th, 2015, 05:31
you can drop it only in the main texture folder of the models where you think it will work?

Yup.. I think that's going to be the best option Jan. Shame as I hoped the 'one shot fix' would be ok but there you go.. nothing is ever as easy as it could be;)

ATB

Jafo
April 12th, 2015, 05:57
Images such as those can go as 'extensive' as you like. You can put them only in one paint of one aircraft....or in the 'shared' folder of one aircraft....or in several shared folders...or in the 'global' so all aircraft will use it/them [unless something else overrides then in their specific folders.]
See the logic within a paint's 'texture.cfg'. FSX follows that hierarchy...;)

Mach3DS
April 13th, 2015, 17:32
Can you do one without the Navy/military insignia, with just the sun glare diffuser paint in front of the windscreen?

Yes I can. However it will have to wait until I finish up with the B-58.