PDA

View Full Version : Not Good Weather Here

Crusader
January 28th, 2009, 13:12
We have had pretty crapy weather here the last couple of days . I am about fifty miles southeast of Columbus . It snowed , then a bad ice storm then snowed again . Power out six hours . Tree limbs down all over the place . I heard a weatherman say(if I've got this straight) that for every one inch of ice it adds about five hundred pounds of weight to the tree . I'm sure this is nothing compared to what some of you guys and gals have gone through . Some of you youngsters don't remember " The Blizzard of Jan 1978 " that us oldtimers experienced . Well , I guess the wifee and I are going have to save our pennies and get a decent generator . Just went through this crap last fall(no power for seven days). Have been looking at a natural gas unit that sits in the back of the house like a AC condenser . I already have a natural gas hookup in the back . Well done ranting and venting now .

Talk to you all later ,
Rich

Wittpilot
January 28th, 2009, 14:02
Got it pretty bad here too Rich... Not as much ice probably, but I just went out to start to clean off a car for tomorrow...about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of ice under about 6 inches of snow... gonna take awhile to get that car cleaned off...
-witt

AussieMan
January 28th, 2009, 15:26
Come over here ..... we are having temps of between 35 and 45 celsius at the moment. Firefighters are on edge as everything is so dry one stray match, cigarette butt or lightning strike and we have a disaster on our hands.

Cheers
Pat

OBIO
January 28th, 2009, 15:40
We got a little ice here in Mansfield, OH...less than a 1/4 inch...but SNOW. I had to shovel out around that car....about 14 inches of it! Luckily the neighbor's buddy is coming with his plow truck to tackle the driveway.....we don't fancy the thought of having to shovel 14 inches of snow off the 500 to 600 foot long uphill driveway.

OBIO

Brian_Gladden
January 28th, 2009, 16:40
Pushing a foot of snow here right now.... Anyone wanna send me money for a trip to Margaritaville? (Key West)

Brian

RickN
January 28th, 2009, 18:32
Ice here ended today and hopefully will start melting tomorrow. Unfortunately not soon enough. The wife slipped Monday and broke her leg.

gigabyte
January 28th, 2009, 18:38
We are getting clobbered AGAIN... we have had about 60" since Xmas and the temps are the coldest I can remember in years (it has been -22 or lower for the past 3 weeks) so it is all still on the ground and getting deeper. We are getting a foot tonight and if the weather man is right (I hate when they are right about snow fall numbers) we will get another foot & 1/2 tomorrow afternoon... I think the Newfie's put it best "Fook I Hate Winter":banghead:

cheezyflier
January 29th, 2009, 08:15
We are getting clobbered AGAIN... we have had about 60" since Xmas and the temps are the coldest I can remember in years (it has been -22 or lower for the past 3 weeks) so it is all still on the ground and getting deeper. We are getting a foot tonight and if the weather man is right (I hate when they are right about snow fall numbers) we will get another foot & 1/2 tomorrow afternoon... I think the Newfie's put it best "Fook I Hate Winter":banghead:

i don't know where to find the cumulative snowfall amounts so, my "seat of the pants" judgement says that here in toronto we have gotten far less this winter than last. still, there is a heck of alot of it piled up outside my apt, and it's been there for quite a while now.

Boomer
January 29th, 2009, 09:39
We got nailed too. I spent the last 2 days at home.

I live about 50mi South of Cincinnati.

Henry
January 29th, 2009, 09:39
we even had snow flurries here today
didnt stick though
H

GT182
January 29th, 2009, 10:39
I remember the storm in 78 Crusader. We had it bad up in Northern NY. The worst tho was "The Ice Storm of 98". No power for 6 days where we were up there. Pitch Black at night with tree limbs falling wasn't the most fun I'd ever seen. We heated with keroseen lamps, used candles for light, and cooked on the grill until we got a 5000 watt generator. I've still got that with us just in case. FEMA paid for that generator seeing the northeast was declared a disastor area. We even used the water from the sump pump pit to flush the toilet. Drinking water was trucked in daily.

Now that we're here in DE we don't have to worry as much. The house we bought already had a Generac generator powered by natural gas. Runs the whole house and garage too. And we're the only house in our developement that has one. It'll be the best investment you can make. When the power goes out it automatically starts up within 3 minutes. That's the safety margine in case the power doesn't stay out and comes right back on. Just make sure you get the complete setup so it automatically switches over to run the house.

The only thing I don't like about the Generac is it kicks in once a week to charge the battery. The place where the previous owner bought won't tell us how to get it to do the battery charging once every 2 weeks or once a month. I leave it off in the summer but when I do charge up the battery, that's the day and time it'll do the automatic charging every week.

Snuffy
January 29th, 2009, 11:04
Weather sux here too ... was 72 yesterday. :(

Crusader
January 29th, 2009, 12:21

Now that's rubing it inhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif

gigabyte
January 29th, 2009, 14:05
i don't know where to find the cumulative snowfall amounts so, my "seat of the pants" judgement says that here in toronto we have gotten far less this winter than last. still, there is a heck of alot of it piled up outside my apt, and it's been there for quite a while now.

cheezyflyer, I work for G&T and talk to the folks in our head office in Don Mills almost daily, they were complaining this week until I sent them a pic of my front yard - shut them up real quick...lol

I don't thnk we are near any records for total snowfall yet this winter, the big thing here is the record cold temps are preventing any melting, and what is on the ground is now all ice. It has been brutal we broke 2 all time records for cold temp -38 on Monday and -32 yesterday (not counting the wind chill) so the salt is not even melting the stuff. It is really bad for anyone with trouble getting around seniors or handicaped, the sidewalk plows are not capible of breaking the ice on the sidewalks so it is just getting thicker. I am really having problems with all this global warming stuff it just is not happening around here...lol

GT182
January 29th, 2009, 15:30

You musta been sitting in a heated seat. :icon_lol:

Fibber
January 30th, 2009, 14:44
GT182;:wavey:

The dealer probably wants you to pay for a service charge/visit to do something basic. Did you contact Generac? I know that they have a website and anothere place is called "GeneratorJoe's" that has a lot of info on the generators.