PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X-52 (non Pro) Kaput?!

expat
March 28th, 2015, 01:15
I can't control the rudder - it just wants to turn left. Have recalibrated in Saitek UI and also changed FSX settings and unplugged/plugged in but think it has had its day. Had it a few years and no complaints.

Any thoughts on repair or a replacement?

StormILM
March 28th, 2015, 02:17
I can't control the rudder - it just wants to turn left. Have recalibrated in Saitek UI and also changed FSX settings and unplugged/plugged in but think it has had its day. Had it a few years and no complaints.

Mine was well worn having had it in steady use since 2006 and I went with the X55 as its replacement. I have remarked that for the money it is a superb HOTAS stick but clearly it isn't a HOTAS Warthog(both the X55 and Warthog have their tradeoffs). So far and nearing 1 year of daily use it is still working very well and I enjoy using it. I know that the X55 has had mixed reviews and I think some complaints are legit but mine is still performing the same as the day I got it. There are a lot of good options out there so I'd look them over, see what some here might suggest and find that balance between price & quality.

Blackbird686
March 28th, 2015, 04:06

Before you give up on it... check the small thumb wheel at the front side of the throttle. Be sure it is centered. This little wheel defaults to rudder/ground steering no matter if you are using the Saitek software driver or the default MS driver for the X52. I have an old X52 that I replaced with the Pro version, but the X52 still works just fine. It had a nasty squeak when I used the rudder twist on the stick.

BB686:US-flag:

SiR_RiPPER
March 28th, 2015, 05:25

I'm having the same issue with it, mine wants to go right.

The issue sits with the rheostat that controls the rudder inside the joystick. To fix it you need to open up the stick and spray it with a cleaner & lubricant. There is a tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGEmbJ7JuI&list=PLBA0659C23AA8D6A2&index=4.

voyager
March 28th, 2015, 08:32
SiR_RiPPER

Could be the answer to my problem too. Thanks for the link!

voyager

Rallymodeller
March 28th, 2015, 11:43
I would also suggest inspecting/changing the X52's biggest weak point: the PS/2 cable that runs between the throttle and stick. As the plug and jack get worn, they can cause all sorts of bizarre effects. I had the same issue but it went away when I changed out the cable. I am actually considering hardwiring the two together.

expat
March 29th, 2015, 01:07
Followed the tutorial - thank I would not have got far without it - and disassembled the stick and tried using compressed air (no tuner cleaner in the house right now) but that didn't fix the problem (as the guy in the tutorial also found). I will need to get some "contact cleaner" which I think its called here in the UK. I have just a hunch this may not fix it either. As a stop gap I have deleted the rudder assignment from the stick twist and reassigned it to one of the rotaries on the throttle side. Can now do better coordinated turns into and out of base leg this way. The stick twist for rudder control was alway a bit imprecise IMHO.

Jafo
March 29th, 2015, 04:24
Followed the tutorial - thank I would not have got far without it - and disassembled the stick and tried using compressed air (no tuner cleaner in the house right now) but that didn't fix the problem (as the guy in the tutorial also found). I will need to get some "contact cleaner" which I think its called here in the UK. I have just a hunch this may not fix it either. As a stop gap I have deleted the rudder assignment from the stick twist and reassigned it to one of the rotaries on the throttle side. Can now do better coordinated turns into and out of base leg this way. The stick twist for rudder control was alway a bit imprecise IMHO.

Alcohol...
Get your best/first choice....use it with a cotton wool bud.....
If it doesn't work...poor remainder into glass and drink....

One way or another the problem will be 'solved'...;)

...or have a close look at the X65F .... no moving parts...ergo no contacts to oxidise/tarnish...;)