PDA

View Full Version : SU Horten 229

Roger
March 14th, 2015, 14:24
Anyone have or remember this? I need a manual because I cannot achieve anywhere near the top speed or ceiling mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

http://i.imgbox.com/8Dbe1OIq.jpg

http://i.imgbox.com/Y40hswvx.jpg

http://i.imgbox.com/8bXhvpKD.jpg

COBS
March 14th, 2015, 17:28
Hi Roger

I have it installed and occassionally enjoy flying it.
I cannot help as I have not at any stage evaluated it's performance specifics , usually too busy enjoying the fact that we can fly it and such a wonderful
range of aircraft.
How lucky are we what we can use a Ho 229 , then jump into a Lanc , Tornado , Grippen , Chipmunk , F-15 , Piper WarriorII , F-111 , etc.. absolute heaven.

I would be cautious about about performance specifics listed anywhere , at best they would be sincere but educated guesses , from memory it
only flew once and that flight was a little unorthaddox , it wasn't properly instrumented , unfortunately it was crashed and the end of WWII
terminated further testing or development.

I very much doubt that you will find a Manual for it due to it's early stage of gestation , there were no test performance values available at that
stage to populate a manual.
The only book I have on it is:-
Horten Ho 229 , Spirit of Thuringia
The Hoerten all-wing jet fighter
128 pages
Author ; Andrei Shepelen and Huib Ottens
Published 2006
ISBN (10) 903223 66 0
ISBN (13) 978 1 903223 66 6
Produced by Chevron Publishing Limited
Printed in England by Ian Allen Printing Ltd, Hersham, Surrey KT12 4RG
Visit Ian Allen Publishing at www.ianallanpublishing.com

A superb book , lots of detail photos , detail , profile drawings and schematics.

Cheers
Karol

Bomber_12th
March 14th, 2015, 18:27
Speaking of the Horten 229 - the only surviving example, owned by The Smithsonian, has recently begun to undergo conservation work to eventually be put on public display. There is a webpage dedicated to it here: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/horten-ho-229-v3/

Cirrus N210MS
March 14th, 2015, 18:50
who Created the 229 for fsx? :wavey:

SeanTK
March 14th, 2015, 18:59
who Created the 229 for fsx? :wavey:

I suspect it's the SkyUnlimited model:
http://secure.simmarket.com/su-legacy-of-the-sky-gotha-ho-229-flying-wing.phtml

COBS
March 14th, 2015, 19:21
Roger

This is a quick and dirty fix , I have not yet fully evaluated it,

In the " aircraft cfg " copy and paste the following static thrust line in and save.

[TurbineEngineData]

static_thrust=3493.000000 //static_thrust=2693.000000

I changed it from 2,693 to 3493.
I suspect that the 3493 value might be a little on the high side,
however I cannot be sure until I put in more advanced instrumentation to properly evaluate it.

Give it a try , it really boosts the performance characteristics.

Quick and dirty tests resulted in the following determined by the small red text at top left of screen.

=> it climbed to 50,000' and was still climbing.
-overspeed light was on.
- no stall warning indication at that Alt.
=> max speed in very steep dive reached 780 KIAS ( probably too high , it would have been supersonic )

Cheers
Karol

hairyspin
March 15th, 2015, 00:52
I'd second the cynicism over actual Ho229 performance: few aircraft have been so sexed up in recent years and on the flimsiest of data. A video of B2s landing in the UK brought home how potentially unstable the flying wing could be and they have untold rafts of stability electronics to keep the airframe under control.

Roger
March 15th, 2015, 03:43
Roger

This is a quick and dirty fix , I have not yet fully evaluated it,

In the " aircraft cfg " copy and paste the following static thrust line in and save.

[TurbineEngineData]

static_thrust=3493.000000 //static_thrust=2693.000000

I changed it from 2,693 to 3493.
I suspect that the 3493 value might be a little on the high side,
however I cannot be sure until I put in more advanced instrumentation to properly evaluate it.

Give it a try , it really boosts the performance characteristics.

Quick and dirty tests resulted in the following determined by the small red text at top left of screen.

=> it climbed to 50,000' and was still climbing.
-overspeed light was on.
- no stall warning indication at that Alt.
=> max speed in very steep dive reached 780 KIAS ( probably too high , it would have been supersonic )

Cheers
Karol

Thanks Karol,

I appreciate your efforts because I couldn't achieve more than about 250 knots in level flight at about 10000' and although this is virtually fictional it would be nice to see it perform something like it's design spec.

Cheers,

Roger.

michaelvader
March 15th, 2015, 09:07
I'd second the cynicism over actual Ho229 performance: few aircraft have been so sexed up in recent years and on the flimsiest of data. A video of B2s landing in the UK brought home how potentially unstable the flying wing could be and they have untold rafts of stability electronics to keep the airframe under control.

A big difference between the US flying wings and the german ones from the Horten brothers was that the Horten flying wings has been auto stable.
Northrop had a lot of problems to get their flying wings stable. And the the B2 would not be able to fly without of the help of electronis (as most planes of today).
There is a very interesting book about the work of the Horten brothers. It contains also a lot of explanations how to get a flying wing stable and how they found it.
But I know it only beeing edited in german.

Happy Landings
Yours
Michael "Papi" Vader

Stickshaker
March 15th, 2015, 09:23
Perhaps the performance has something to do with the extreme pitch variations with speed. I don't know much about flying wings but the difficulty of trimming struck me and this could affect drag. Also, the spoilers do not seem to be very effective as rudders. Maybe the flight model needs some tweaking.

RyanJZ
March 15th, 2015, 09:55
That looks like the Sky Unlimited model. I have, and I've spent quite a bit of time flying it. It takes time to accelerate, but I have gotten it to 450 kts in level flight at low altitude. I've even flown it across the USA with only one stop for gas. The only problem is the fuel tank system, and this must be an error in the way its coded, but after burning up about 20% of the fuel, the airplane is imbalanced because of the way the fuel flows from the 2 tanks, and it banks to the left out of control at low speed, and I have found no way to crossfeed the tanks or somehow correct this issue. I emailed the developers about it and they couldn't do anything because they apparently aren't together anymore. Anyone else have this problem with this airplane? Anyone know how I could fix it?

Moses03
March 15th, 2015, 12:59
The only problem is the fuel tank system, and this must be an error in the way its coded, but after burning up about 20% of the fuel, the airplane is imbalanced because of the way the fuel flows from the 2 tanks, and it banks to the left out of control at low speed, and I have found no way to crossfeed the tanks or somehow correct this issue. I emailed the developers about it and they couldn't do anything because they apparently aren't together anymore. Anyone else have this problem with this airplane?

This was a bug they never addressed unfortunately.

Here is how I have it set so it won't get unbalanced.

//[fuel]
//Center1 =-0.5,-10.85, 0, 335.0, 0
//Center2 =-0.5, 10.85, 0, 335.0, 0
//fuel_type = 2
//number_of_tank_selectors =2
//electric_pump = 0

[fuel]
LeftMain = -0.5, -7.9, 0, 335, 0
RightMain = -0.5, 7.9, 0, 335, 0
fuel_type = 2
number_of_tank_selectors =2
electric_pump = 0