PDA

View Full Version : Gmax Tutorials

hairyspin
September 27th, 2008, 02:10
Hello Milton,

After the server crash, if Ickie and Co. can't rebuild the post and thread databases, can we have links in sticky threads to all your tutorials? (IIRC they were off-site)

Thanks!

Milton Shupe
September 27th, 2008, 04:05
Of course :wiggle: ... if the forums cannot be restored, I will repost everything I have record of.

The new C-162 list of gmax exercises and tutorials is here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/

Most of what is listed below can be found in the link above.

If you would like the gmax source for the C-162 created in the above tutorials, download it here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/SOH_c162.zip

Here is the Data Collection writeup:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/data.zip

Creating a Calibration Box for your 3-views:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/CalBox.zip

Basic GMax Video Introduction:

Download the zip of the .avi file to play:
http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/basicintro.zip

Video Tutorial on Creating the VC:

Basic: from exterior model to a VC with gauges in 15 minutes:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?97505-For-FS9-Gmax-Users-Create-a-Basic-VC-with-Gauges-in-15-Min

A little longer and older VC creation version:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/vcready.zip

EDIT: Link to download QuakeIII and LithUnwrap:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/uvw-mapping-in-gmax-–-resources.144/

EDIT: Updated links to new server locations of tutorials April 2014

EDIT: SDKs for FS9: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/fs9-sdk-documentation-pdf.171/

pilotwing
November 16th, 2008, 11:15
First of all thanks for the tutorial,but I downloaded the sdk,i instaled it but it not work,then i download the resource kit but i dont know what to do,i hope you can tell me what to do,sorry for the trouble

Milton Shupe
November 16th, 2008, 13:23
The SDK is references for Makemdl. In that you will find the names to use to name your aircraft parts. Parts have to be named correctly so that animations can be recognized and work in flight sim.

The Resources kit has a gmax file to get you started with making a C-162. The "scene" contains a calibration box that is textured with 3-views of the C-162. The 3-views are in the resources kit folder called UVW.

When you open gmax, you will browse to the resource kit, open the gmax folder and the gmax file for the c162. Later you will setup your file links and browse to the UVW folder for your materials or textures.

There are also reference pictures in the kit along with reference documentation for that aircraft.

If you are just starting with gmax, you will need to go through the tutorials to learn the basic gmax structure and tools. You must have installed gmax, gmax help, and gmax tutorials before you can do those tutorials.

Once done you can start with this project as an exercise to see how things are done. Or, you can start with your own project. If you do that, you will need to read up on Getting Started -Data Collection, Creating a calibration box, and look at the Basics of Gmax video.

I hope this helps.

pilotwing
November 22nd, 2008, 13:38
Thank you for your patience,the problem was that I dont have FS2004,but i am looking for it,but please if you can give me the gmax,it REALLY be helpfull thanks again for the tutorials and the help

Milton Shupe
November 22nd, 2008, 13:55
You can download gmax 1.2 here:

http://files.turbosquid.com/Products/L567271/XFM83W83US/gmax12.exe

hairyspin
November 23rd, 2008, 12:22
You can download gmax 1.2 here:

http://files.turbosquid.com/Products/L567271/XFM83W83US/gmax12.exe

... amongst other places. Unfortunately you have to register with Turbosquid to get the unlock code and although I've had no problem, they aren't always very quick to send you one. :banghead:

There is a workaround called the Gmax Registration Utility which is available from: http://www.fsalpha.com/gmax_tips/ (http://www.fsalpha.com/gmax_tips/) which is also one of the other sources for gmax....

pilotwing
November 24th, 2008, 09:50
At last,i can work! Thank you both i will download gmax and start learning at once!,thank you very much for all the help!

pilotwing
November 25th, 2008, 14:02
Sorry for the troubles (again) but i need help in exercise two of the tutorial,i think i mess up something but i'm not so sure where if you want to look the file please tell me how i upload it.

Thanks again

Milton Shupe
November 25th, 2008, 15:18
You can take a screenshot (picture) of the problem by pressing the Print Scrn key on the keyboard. This works like a copy to the clipboard. Then open Paint or any graphics program and Paste from the clipboard.

Save the screenshot to your Desktop and a .JPG.

Now post a reply here, then go to the bottom of your reply to Manage Attachments.

Browse to your Desktop and select your Screenshot and Upload it.

Finish your post and the screenshot will appear.

I hope this helps.

pilotwing
November 26th, 2008, 14:12
Here they are,as you can see now,my windshield doesnt looks like yours,i have not deleted half of my model and,the nose is wrong (i think),if you need a specific view,please let me know

Milton Shupe
November 26th, 2008, 15:13
It seems that your left/right calibration sides may be "flattened" and have a different pixels per foot ratio than the front/rear views. I know I had this problem early on. I readjusted the left/right sides to better coincide with the front rear relationships. I will attach that here for you. (Just click to enlarge, then right click and Save Image As) Create the right side by flipping it.

Also, see my examples attached as what I am seeing in my exercise model. Also attaching your front view showing that the upper cowling needs to be pulled up. This is the part of modeling that simply requires a lot of vertice pushing to get it right, comparing to RW pictures, and trying to get the "face" of the aircraft to its real personality.

pilotwing
November 27th, 2008, 14:41
So,I need to fit the model to the rear/front views,and the exersice two is just for the shape of the model?,if i dont get that exercise exactly as the tutorial shows,theres no real problem?

Milton Shupe
November 27th, 2008, 17:31
The issue as I see it is that the side views seem to be a bit "squashed". Try the one I posted above to see if it works any better.

If you are using exercise two, that would be from the cross-sections I developed and you should be close. But as with any modeling using basic 3-views like this set, you will be required to "push vertices" to perfect the shape and look of the aircraft. Use pictures to compare and adjust until you have things looking correct. The better 3-views include cross-sections at various points along the fuselage.

The point of these exercises is to help familiarize you with techniques and tools. One should try to get the 3-views pixel perfect for a project and double check measurements and placement of the calibrations box sides to ensure proper alignment. Unfortunately the 3-views for this exercise seem not to be precise. So, as a modeler, you will need to use your resources to shape the fuselage as close to the aircraft as you can using whatever means you can draw from. Getting the shape correct is essential as the foundation of the whole project.

pilotwing
November 28th, 2008, 13:58
Then i will calibrate the views,and make the noise by vertice pushing,thanks again,by the way,how do you map the sides of the box,I try creating one but i dont know how to map it

Thanks again

Milton Shupe
November 28th, 2008, 16:04
Setting up a calibration box can be found in a link in my original post above. But, here it is:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/resources/backdrops.zip

Before the SOH forum crash, there was a better one available but hopefully this one will do the trick for you.

pilotwing
December 4th, 2008, 13:07
First of all thanks for the help now I got my own calibration box,and the cessna,i do all the vertice pushing but now my left side is wrong here are the screenshots (in order:Front as it was,left whit the front wrong,right side of the front fixed,left view of the model whit the front fixed)

Milton Shupe
December 4th, 2008, 19:27
I see two issues here.

1) The aspect ratio of the length to the height is incorrect. The calibration box appears "squashed"/too flat. The ratio should be 2.7:1

2) There is an issue with the 3-view drawings in that the spinner of the aircraft in one view is higher than in another view. For example, in one of mine, the spinner tip is at pixel 209 and the other is at 191. This is a fallacy of the drawing, not of your work. (see attached and note the lines I drew through the spinners)

Before you create the calibration box sizes, you must ensure integrity of the calibration, the relationships of length, width, height. You can create the calibration box directly from measurements of the aircraft. At least the box will be sized correctly even though we must work with flawed drawings.

Then, after cropping the 3-views carefully, apply them to the cal-box. Try not to use the fit command but rather adjust the UVW gizmo to allow for differences. One way to try to match up side and front/rear views is to draw horizontal lines through the spinners in each view. Then adjust the UVW gizmo until you have the lines in teh front and side views matching up.

Get this as close as you can then build from the side and top views. Adjust as necessary and use your artistic skills to make it look like the RW aircraft.

I know this is a bit frustrating as I went through it with these drawings as well.

pilotwing
December 6th, 2008, 14:27
So,i need to do my own calibration box or modify the one i downloaded,but my model was fine!,thanks,and by the way,how do i apply the bitmaps to the calibration box?

Milton Shupe
December 9th, 2008, 04:41
http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/resources/backdrops.zip

pilotwing
December 11th, 2008, 14:19
Whit gmax i can make models for combat flight simulator 3 or CFS1?
I ask because i dont have FS2004 and i like to test my model (when finish of course)

hairyspin
December 11th, 2008, 22:32
CFS3 - yes. CFS1 - no; don't know what you need for that, but it isn't gmax. You'll need the CFS3 SDK from microsoft and the plug-in for gmax which you'll get at the CFS3 home site

edit: the site is gone: get the SDK here in the Library

polecat0942
December 14th, 2008, 19:54
Hate to bother you guys. I have made several attempts in the past to work with Gmax. I started working on a B24 long ago for CFS3 (Long before FirePower ever came out) and never really got too far. At that time, I set up a calbox etc., using the method described in the gmax tutorial for making a p38. Using the 4 views given in gmax: top, front, left/right, and perspective, I made my box and and fit the backround image for each view into it (of course they would always offset when I would mess with lock zoom/pan, still do). Now I've seen the calbox done in 3D like the calbox included in this tutorial but have to admit I don't understand it. When I open the calbox only the one window (user) opens up. Are you supposed to only use the one window? I guess I'm having problems understanding this first basic step. Do I no longer need the 3 or 4 other views that are present when gmax first fires up? For some reason (and having air for brains is a good one) I am having a hard time wrapping my brains around this. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

Edit: just looked at my original B24 attempt files -- dated 2/5/2004 lol

Milton Shupe
December 14th, 2008, 20:15
John,

Do not use the calibration techique in the gmax tutorials ... it is faulty.

There is a whole list of tutorials at the start of this thread. One talks about setting up calibration boxes.

Here is a tutorial on gmax basics. Maybe it will help get you started:

Download the zip of the .avi file to play:

In gmax, you have 8 basic views:
Right, Left, Front, Rear, Top, Bottom, Perspective, and User. You can use keyboard keys to switch. E.G. R, L, K, F, B, P, and U.

The standard views are necessary for doing certain things when strict directional alignment of your view is important. Any views not standard is the User view for panning around and getting different view perspectives.

Watch the video I did to get a basic intro to gmax basics. Then check out the calibration tute in my first post here, then scan the C-162 tutorials for lots of helpful info.

Milton

polecat0942
December 15th, 2008, 18:31
Thanks Milt, I had no idea about the tutorial method being flawed. I'll study more and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Cheers,

John

Edit: I'm getting a 404 error on that link above.

Milton Shupe
December 15th, 2008, 20:07

Try this one.

polecat0942
December 15th, 2008, 20:09
Thanks Milton, that link did it :friday:

Firebar
December 21st, 2008, 05:55
Just a quick query,

How are you setting up the images in GMax? Whenever I do it (Via applying a meterial) it gets really blurry. Is there a setting i've missed or just a better way to do it?

Cheers
Matt

Milton Shupe
December 21st, 2008, 15:38
Lots of ways to do it depending on what version of FS you are designing for and what graphics programs you use.

I develop for FS9, use Gmax 1.2, so I simply use 24-bit bmp or convert them to jpeg for use in gmax. They must be sized a power of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024), or a combination of powers of 2 like 256x1024.

When moving to FS texture folders, you then copy and convert those textures to 32-bit, DXT3, 8-bit, or whatever your FS version supports.

Large exterior parts need large textures. Think about "pixels per foot" dividing your part length on the texture by the texture pixels L,W, or Height. This number need to be high enough to have texture clarity.

Small aircraft fuselages might me mapped across a 1024 but a large aircraft will need halves mapped to a 1024.

VC's also require large textures because you are so close to the detail. A small fighter cockpit panel is okay on a 1024, but a two-pilot aircraft will require you to break the panel into halves or thirds to get clarity.

Firebar
December 22nd, 2008, 11:48
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. When I am texturing the dimension box with the three views they come out really blurry, see atached. I all of the tutorials you've posted the images are much clearer. Is it possible for you to say what I'm doing wrong?

( although the VC stuff is useful)

hairyspin
December 22nd, 2008, 12:46
Mine looked like a road crash, Matt. I found a 26MB video tutorial at fsalpha.com which explained it, but in the interests of bandwidth, here's an explanatory pic.

https://i.imgur.com/0HeW8WT.jpg

I used the OpenGL driver under XP on my old video card, but the principle is the same as for DirectX drivers.

HTH

Milton Shupe
December 22nd, 2008, 15:56
HTH has it right ... Match Bitmap as close as possible needs to be checked in his example. Thanks

Firebar
December 23rd, 2008, 00:21
Hey! Thats worked a treat! Cheers.

Merry Christmas

pilotwing
February 23rd, 2009, 14:31
Hello everybody,i started the map tutorials,but i have a problem,when creating the template a diferent messagebox appears,and my template is diferent,and how i apply the glass and blurred textures?

Thanks again

Milton Shupe
March 1st, 2009, 16:12
Pilotwing,

Your LithUnwrap template looks great.

You will want to save that at 2048 X 2048 to work on but FS9 will need it at 1024 X 1024.

I usually save a 1024 for the gmax UVW folder and convert it to jpg to save memory while modeling. (makes a big difference for me when things get busy)

The process flow goes like this:
1. Map parts and then export selected named to quake md3 folder
2. Open LithUnwrap, Open model, named exported parts from md3 folder
3. Now Save Bmp to your UVW folder. Change to jpg and reduce size if you wish)
4. Apply the new template to the selected gmax parts

Later, take your 2048 or 1024 bmp and change it to the proper format for FS texture folder.

Does this answer your question?

pilotwing
March 17th, 2009, 14:21
Thanks again,but why my template is not filled like yours,and how do you make the template looks like a real plane texture?

MustangNightFighter
April 6th, 2009, 13:32
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but how do I get stuff to show up in Gmax. Like I go to open the SDK stuff for CFS3 and it says its there, I can select it if I randomly click on the black screen, but that is all I can see, a black screen. Did I do something wrong here or do I need to go to a special view or something. Oh yeah, when I went to open Gmax the first time, there was some box that popped up asking about something like Heidi and Direct 3D. I chose like 3D or something. Does that have anything to do with it?

Milton Shupe
April 6th, 2009, 15:33
Try changing the driver to OpenGL ... see attached screenshot.

MustangNightFighter
April 6th, 2009, 17:19
Perfect, thanks...

n4gix
April 7th, 2009, 10:13
Thanks again,but why my template is not filled like yours,and how do you make the template looks like a real plane texture?

That is because you have the beta version of LithUnwrap 1.3.

I've updated the link referenced by Milton's tutorial to allow folks to get the "release version" of LithUnwrap 1.3...

pilotwing
April 7th, 2009, 10:32
So i check the tutorials again and download the lith unwrap of that link

Thanks

Milton Shupe
April 7th, 2009, 19:30
Thanks again,but why my template is not filled like yours...?

When you save the template from LithUnwrap, do you have this box checked?

n4gix
April 8th, 2009, 07:17
When you save the template from LithUnwrap, do you have this box checked?

The version that I had in that post at FFDS was to v1.3beta which does not have those options...

I still had the v1.3beta installed myself, and didn't even know there was a more recent, release version available...

...so I went a'googling for it.

I've updated the link to point to the release version of LithUnwrap. :gossip:

Milton Shupe
April 8th, 2009, 10:00
Thanks Bill; I appreciate that. :applause:

pilotwing
April 8th, 2009, 11:05
I downloaded the new version of lith unwrap,now i got all the options and a cool filled template.

Thanks to all of you

ghopper
May 8th, 2009, 11:11
Hi all,
I'm trying my hand at FSx modeling. I'm stuck on trying to set up Milton's calibration box. I've read the tutorial he posted in this thread. The new one on flightsimonline....the original from here is no longer (or not yet re-available) due to the server crash. I've made my 3 views saved in jpg 24 bit format, but when I choose the UVW mapping it just puts in a blank white sheet. I'm sure I'm just missing a step, just not sure which one.

TIA,
Dan

Milton Shupe
May 8th, 2009, 15:45
Hi all,
I'm trying my hand at FSx modeling. I'm stuck on trying to set up Milton's calibration box. I've read the tutorial he posted in this thread. The new one on flightsimonline....the original from here is no longer (or not yet re-available) due to the server crash. I've made my 3 views saved in jpg 24 bit format, but when I choose the UVW mapping it just puts in a blank white sheet. I'm sure I'm just missing a step, just not sure which one.

TIA,
Dan

Dan,

Look for a blue button in the Editor with a tooltip that says "Show image in Viewport" or something to that affect.

I hope this helps.

ghopper
May 9th, 2009, 11:49
Milton,
Thanks for the reply. With that info and using your C162 file as a guide I finally got the top view to show up in the perspective port. It didn't show up from the top viewport, so I still have some work to figure out. For now I had only applied the one map to the bottom of my calbox. I noticed in your C162 drawing that only the calbottom has the UVW Map. If I click on the other sides, it just shows editable mesh. I'll add the other views and reattach everything to make the box whole again. Maybe that has something to do with it. While doing this I checked my bitmap size and the dimension ratio's don't match the airplanes dimension ratio's, so my map is squished. I'll either have to find another to work with or come up with another solution for that as well.

Dan

Milton Shupe
May 9th, 2009, 17:24
Dan,

The best advice I can give you is to get the 3-views correct first and then crop them tight to the outer edges of the wings, fuselage, and top/bottom.

Ensure the aspect ratios are correct before proceeding.

Create your calibration box precisely to the aircraft dimensions. (The box should now agree with your cropped 3-views from a dimensions ratio standpoint.)

Detach all the calibration sides, map them and fit the UVW map to the sides/top/bottom.

Now apply your 3-views to each side.

You should now be ready to start modeling.

ghopper
May 11th, 2009, 06:16
Milton....thanks again. I've made some headway. I've got the mapping partially figured out. My calibration box has the normals flipped and all sides detached. I've got UVW mappings on bottom and three sides. My problem now is what happens when I reattach the sides together. I started with my bottom and attached the right and back sides of the box. I still don't get a picture from any of the normal orthoganal views (top, front, back, or either side). Also after attaching my bottom map goes to a small thumbnail size unless I click on the UVW mapping and then it comes back to full size, but the other views go blank. Any ideas?

Dan

Here are 3 attached screenshots of what I've gotten so far. Well, maybe not, my upload failed even thou I have the legal size and dimensions allowed for a png extension.

Milton Shupe
May 11th, 2009, 10:21
Do not re-attach the sides. No need ... select each, go to properties and uncheck Show Frozen in Gray, the Freeze each side.

ghopper
May 12th, 2009, 05:42
Thanks Milton,
That got me working. Box is complete, time to do some modeling.

Dan

JEDDRAGON
September 21st, 2011, 13:39
not sure if this counts but have you guys seen this site it's not a Gmax Tutorial but shows how to make CFS2 planes really well

http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

JEDDRAGON
September 28th, 2011, 14:56
ok for some reason I can't find the edit button sorry but I'll have to D post if that ok with you guys if not can you add this to the links I set

ok if you guys want to know how to make IL-2 mods here is the best place to start
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=357.0

hairyspin
October 5th, 2011, 10:46
Thanks for these, Jeddragon! Just two problems with the IL-2 modelling material: legit copies of 3ds Max 3, 4 or 5 are about as common as rocking horse droppings and the Max model has to be sent to 1C for compiling to a model in about six weeks? Around here we're used to changing something, compiling to the sim and trying it out straight away - seems a lengthy development cycle.

3ds Max, for those who want to use it for FSX development, has been a continuing headache: FSX supports Max 7, 8, 9 and 10 (2008) which are no longer available and only recently have Lockheed Martin released compatible exporters which support newer versions of Max up to 2012. Interesting to see details on the 1C model and damage procedures though, plus there's some excellent links to aircraft data and photographs near the end of that tut. :wiggle:

JEDDRAGON
October 5th, 2011, 21:38
yeah sorry I forgot to tell ya that forum for Il-2 has all the tools ya need to get files working also the files can be imported into Gmax I tested it out using there msh converter also olny prob might converting it back they might have something on that on that site

not sure if you have checked out the forum but here is the forum in full to find out a lot of things
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,4.0.html (http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,65.0.html?PHPSESSID=2cac32c3edb494c9e9fb18b2 764ae63c)

hairyspin
October 6th, 2011, 22:08
Thanks!

Mathias
January 5th, 2013, 02:00
I just reuploaded another GEM by our unforgotten low poli master Gerard to my webspace,
wing and wingtip tutorial:

http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Gerard_tuto/1.htm

hairyspin
January 6th, 2013, 07:07
Always good to have these tuts available again, there are fewer places to direct the learning modeller these days. :icon29:

OzFlightSimulations
January 6th, 2014, 04:30
Hi, Im wondering if anyone can correct a boolean procedure?

I am attempting to cut a windshield in accordance with the tutorial docs and when I cut the boolean and convert it to an editable Polygon nothing appears to happen. Perhaps someone could help me along?

Kind Regards,
Matt.

Milton Shupe
January 6th, 2014, 05:53
Hi, Im wondering if anyone can correct a boolean procedure?

I am attempting to cut a windshield in accordance with the tutorial docs and when I cut the boolean and convert it to an editable Polygon nothing appears to happen. Perhaps someone could help me along?

Kind Regards,
Matt.

If gmax, then happy to help. Either need screen shots of your steps or your gmax source of just the parts in question to do boolean. Select parts, then Save Selected. Zip and attach to post.

If you cannot do that, and you use gmax, I will do a video tute for you.

OzFlightSimulations
January 6th, 2014, 14:41
If gmax, then happy to help. Either need screen shots of your steps or your gmax source of just the parts in question to do boolean. Select parts, then Save Selected. Zip and attach to post.

If you cannot do that, and you use gmax, I will do a video tute for you.

Thanks for your reply.
I will attach the GMAX file here and also include the link to the tutorial listing the steps ive taken so far.
Any help is appreciated.

Tutorial used http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/3viewfuse3.html

Kind Regards
Matt.

Milton Shupe
January 6th, 2014, 15:57
Thanks for your reply.
I will attach the GMAX file here and also include the link to the tutorial listing the steps ive taken so far.
Any help is appreciated.

Tutorial used http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/3viewfuse3.html

Kind Regards
Matt.

You have already done the boolean and it looks good. The attached shows you how to better setup the viewport options to best view your work.

Let me know if you need more help. View the attachments in numbered order.

Milton Shupe
April 6th, 2014, 10:29
Updated links to tutorials in post #2

OzFlightSimulations
April 13th, 2014, 18:53
Perhaps I'm posting in the wrong area, I'm not too sure.
I've got a bit of a test model going at the moment. I've started to make a VC, I've got two models by the time Gmax finishes its export one is "filename" the other is "filename_interior"

When I load it into FSX, everything is good at this point however the VC eye point is too high and not far enough to the Left side of the aeroplane.
I have tried looking in the Aircraft.cfg to find the "Camera Definition" so I can tweak that, but theres nothing there controlling VC, it just controls the Right seat etc..

Has anyone else had similar issues and could provide feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards
Matt

Milton Shupe
April 13th, 2014, 19:27
Matt,

The eyepoint in the VC is controlled by the coordinates you place in the aircraft.cfg file in teh following statement:

[Views]
eyepoint=-5.255, 0, 2.675 //Fore/aft; left/right; up/down stated in feet

In your design program find the coordinates of the pilot's nose bridge, select a vertice to get the coordinates (X,Y,Z) (convert them to feet)
then update the eyepoint statement in the aircraft.cfg in format y,X,Z

OzFlightSimulations
April 14th, 2014, 02:09
Matt,

The eyepoint in the VC is controlled by the coordinates you place in the aircraft.cfg file in teh following statement:

[Views]
eyepoint=-5.255, 0, 2.675 //Fore/aft; left/right; up/down stated in feet

In your design program find the coordinates of the pilot's nose bridge, select a vertice to get the coordinates (X,Y,Z) (convert them to feet)
then update the eyepoint statement in the aircraft.cfg in format y,X,Z

Thanks Milton,

Another thing I noticed as well... Once I clone the "Exterior" and name it "Interior" and export..... it exports the plane fine but comes up with a duplicate animation warning.... once I load it in FSX, the prop and exit animation works in the VC but looking out the canopy the aileron and flap are motionless on both sides of the plane.... What could I have not done correctly?

Milton Shupe
April 14th, 2014, 04:27
Since you are using the FSX SDK let's wait for an FSX modeler to answer this one.

hairyspin
April 14th, 2014, 11:36
Once I clone the "Exterior" and name it "Interior" and export..... it exports the plane fine but comes up with a duplicate animation warning.... once I load it in FSX, the prop and exit animation works in the VC but looking out the canopy the aileron and flap are motionless on both sides of the plane.... What could I have not done correctly?

Try just renaming the top node to Interior and saving the file as modelName_interior.gmax, then export it to FSX. Cloning might not have carried over the animation tags properly. Once the interior is working properly, you can start removing unseen objects and polys from the _interior model.

Unlike FS9, the interior and exterior don't need to be in the same Gmax model: your duplicate animation warnings probably come from that. Look at the stock aircraft in the FSX Airplanes folder and you'll see two models: Beech_Baron_58.mdl and Beech_Baron_58_interior.mdl in the case of the Baron 58. The model files used in FSX are specified in aircraft.cfg. This is why a VC from another aircraft can be used with an FSX model. Some modellers don't do that, having learned their craft in FS9 and found the FS9 habits hard to break, but since you're starting from fresh it's best to do things the FSX way.

BTW, I'm a CFS3 modeller :biggrin-new:, but I'm looking to the future (by living in the past) ... if y'know what I mean. Errr...

OzFlightSimulations
April 14th, 2014, 15:32
Try just renaming the top node to Interior and saving the file as modelName_interior.gmax, then export it to FSX. Cloning might not have carried over the animation tags properly. Once the interior is working properly, you can start removing unseen objects and polys from the _interior model.

Unlike FS9, the interior and exterior don't need to be in the same Gmax model: your duplicate animation warnings probably come from that. Look at the stock aircraft in the FSX Airplanes folder and you'll see two models: Beech_Baron_58.mdl and Beech_Baron_58_interior.mdl in the case of the Baron 58. The model files used in FSX are specified in aircraft.cfg. This is why a VC from another aircraft can be used with an FSX model. Some modellers don't do that, having learned their craft in FS9 and found the FS9 habits hard to break, but since you're starting from fresh it's best to do things the FSX way.

BTW, I'm a CFS3 modeller :biggrin-new:, but I'm looking to the future (by living in the past) ... if y'know what I mean. Errr...

Yeah, That's what I've done to get around it. I'm assuming it wont glitch with FSX, as there are already two models anyway one is the model the other interior so I'll see how it goes... When I saved everything as "interior" and kept the aircraft Exterior model file All the views and animations worked. Must be some GMAX glitch. If I ever find a solution, I'll post it here.

Thanks for all your help.

Happy Easter everyone.

Kind Regards,

Matt - Oz Flight Simulations, Australia.

hairyspin
April 15th, 2014, 04:15
It's not a workaround Matt, it's how you're supposed to do it for FSX.

In CFS3 you have:-

CoolModel
.....coolModel_LOD_100
........lots of objects for external model
.....cockpits
..........cockpit_virtual0
...............lots of VC objects
..........cockpit_virtual1
...............lots of bomb aimer's objects
etc.

In FS9 it's:-

CoolModel
.....exterior
..........external objects
.....interior
..........VC objects

but in FSX the external model and VC are completely separate models. Which .MDL files are used are specified in model.cfg, not aircraft.cfg as mentioned above.

OzFlightSimulations
April 15th, 2014, 17:20
It's not a workaround Matt, it's how you're supposed to do it for FSX.

In CFS3 you have:-

CoolModel
.....coolModel_LOD_100
........lots of objects for external model
.....cockpits
..........cockpit_virtual0
...............lots of VC objects
..........cockpit_virtual1
...............lots of bomb aimer's objects
etc.

In FS9 it's:-

CoolModel
.....exterior
..........external objects
.....interior
..........VC objects

but in FSX the external model and VC are completely separate models. Which .MDL files are used are specified in model.cfg, not aircraft.cfg as mentioned above.

Thanks Tom,

For some unforseen reason - help here - Ive got my interior Fuse to show in FSX however when I add detail IE, Seats and centre console, they show up fine in Gmax, yet everything exports but the seats don't show in FSX... Doing my head in, nothing is set See Through or anything like that. If I attach the seats to the Fuse Interior, it shows up, yet if they're separated they dont show.
Anyone ran into this before ?

hairyspin
April 16th, 2014, 02:23
... If I attach the seats to the Fuse Interior, it shows up, yet if they're separated they dont show...

Do you mean linked, or Attached? That's an important difference! You link objects to each other in a hierarchy; but you might build a tailfin, then select the fuselage, click Attach and click on the tailfin to make it part of the fuselage object.

If the seats are linked to the fuse interior, that would sound like where they should be.

Hauksbee
January 28th, 2015, 19:51
CFS3 - yes. CFS1 - no; don't know what you need for that, but it isn't gmax. You'll need the CFS3 SDK from microsoft and the plug-in for gmax which you'll get at the CFS3 home site http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/
The link you recommend is no longer active. I've also tried to get the CFS3 SDK from http://microsoftgamesinsider.com/CFSInsider/Tools/default.htm but nothing happens and it times me out. I'm assuming that to get a Gmax model into CFS3 I must have the SDK. Can you give me a working link? Thanks.

edit: the CFS3 SDKs are now in the Library here at SOH

Milton Shupe
January 28th, 2015, 20:39
Once you get the SDK, you will need some updates apparently:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?83816-Combat-Flight-Simulator-3-Patches-and-SDKs

hairyspin
January 29th, 2015, 04:03
As Milton says and his link will point you to the SDKs and patches for CFS3. I'm at work, so will answer your other post after the kids are bunked down.

rohan
September 10th, 2015, 03:48
Updated links to tutorials in post #2
... and some of the links seem to be broken again. I managed to download Calbox.zip OK but I can't open a download of basicintro.zip with either Win7's zip function or 7zip, and the VC tutorial seems to have gone walkabout ...

Allen
September 11th, 2015, 11:52
I get a "The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted" when I try to open the basicintro.zip. Using Win XP SP3 stock unzip program. Also Rami seems to have hit the same bug yesterday with one of his mission packs for CFS2. Wonder if it is related to this http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?96137-NOTICE-Tomorrow-we-may-be-down&p=979938

Milton Shupe
September 11th, 2015, 16:48
Try the tutorials on this website while we sort the issues here:

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/index.htm

rohan
September 12th, 2015, 00:39
Sad to say, there are broken links there as well - the ones I found were the Gmax setup SDK and the videos associated with section 22 on texture mapping ...

Milton Shupe
September 12th, 2015, 03:46
Sad to say, there are broken links there as well - the ones I found were the Gmax setup SDK and the videos associated with section 22 on texture mapping ...

I will upload the video for you. The gmax sdk can be found at FSDeveloper.

EDIT: I uploaded both for you

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/gmaxsdk.zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/c162basicmap.zip

rohan
September 12th, 2015, 09:22
Thank you - perhaps you could confirm whether the link at the bottom of this page -

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/map-p1/index.htm

refers to the first three videos in the John Howard White tutorials that you have uploaded here (I already have copies of these 4 videos) ?

At the top of that same page there's a broken link for MD3 and Lithunwrap modules. Google gave me several lookups for the latter, but it wasn't clear whether these were compatible / interoperable with GMax - especially when I found this page where a question was asked but never answered ...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?79893-Lithunwrap-1-3-and-GMax-1-2-Interoperability-Question

Milton Shupe
September 12th, 2015, 10:23
Thank you - perhaps you could confirm whether the link at the bottom of this page -

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/map-p1/index.htm

refers to the first three videos in the John Howard White tutorials that you have uploaded here (I already have copies of these 4 videos) ?

At the top of that same page there's a broken link for MD3 and Lithunwrap modules. Google gave me several lookups for the latter, but it wasn't clear whether these were compatible / interoperable with GMax - especially when I found this page where a question was asked but never answered ...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?79893-Lithunwrap-1-3-and-GMax-1-2-Interoperability-Question

Yes, that refers to the first 3 of 4 tutorials by JHW.

You want version 1.3 and that will work just fine with all versions of gmax. You need the Quake III plugins.

Quake III simply allows you to export selected (Quake 3 MD3 files) from gmax the objects that have been mapped.
Lithunwrap reads those MD3 files and will create a map template for you to save in your gmax texture folder for the project.

EDIT: Okay, to make it easy, I have uploaded both LithUnwrap and MD3 Plugins for you.
Install the Lithunwrap folder anywhere and create a shortcut to the Unwrap.exe application.
The 2 - MD3 Plugins need to be added to your Gmax/Plugins folder.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/MD3_GMAX.zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/lithunwrap.zip

rohan
September 12th, 2015, 19:22
thanks again

rohan
September 16th, 2015, 05:23
I'm afraid we're still missing the VC tutorial referenced at the beginning of the VC sections. At SoH, the link just gives a typical page 404 response, while at Garry's site the response is -

File Not Found Error - 404 - report.
Referring URL: http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/vc1/
Visitors IP: 87.112.8.69
Requested URL: /Milton_Shupe/tutorials/vcready.zip
Server Name: www.gjsmith.net (http://www.gjsmith.net)

If this is a genuine File Not Found error then please
contact garry[at]gjsmith.net with a copy of the above
text and I will endevour to correct the problem.
http://www.benz-australia.com/images/signature22.gif
Developer of the Ford-Tri-Motor.net web site
Garry J. Smith - gjsmith.net, gjsmith.com and gjsmith.org

Milton Shupe
September 16th, 2015, 05:50
Thank you; I will contact Garry for a fix.

Meanwhile the tutorial and video is available here in our library. See the link in the first post of this thread.

here is the video you seek: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/vcready.zip

Hauksbee
September 4th, 2016, 17:09
'Launched G-Max today and all my toolbars at the top and right side are gone. I poked about in "Customize Interface" but nothing helped. Any ideas?
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42666&stc=1

Milton Shupe
September 4th, 2016, 21:00
'Launched G-Max today and all my toolbars at the top and right side are gone. I poked about in "Customize Interface" but nothing helped. Any ideas?

No problem; just Reload as per the attached, or right click on the gray area at top and select the Main Tool Bar and Command Panel.

Hauksbee
September 5th, 2016, 21:36
No problem; just Reload as per the attached, or right click on the gray area at top and select the Main Tool Bar and Command Panel.
Something's not right. If I click on Item#1 of the flyout Menu, Items 1 & 2 get selected. If I click on #3, Items 2 & 3 are selected. No matter which are selected, the Tool Bars are still missing.

Milton Shupe
September 6th, 2016, 07:07
Something's not right. If I click on Item#1 of the flyout Menu, Items 1 & 2 get selected. If I click on #3, Items 2 & 3 are selected. No matter which are selected, the Tool Bars are still missing.

Did you try:

1) Click the Customize Menu
2) Click Revert to Startup Layout

Hauksbee
September 7th, 2016, 13:05
Did you try:

1) Click the Customize Menu
2) Click Revert to Startup Layout
Just tried both and neither worked. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to install a fresh copy of G-Max. Can it still be downloaded here at SimOH?

Milton Shupe
September 7th, 2016, 16:08
Just tried both and neither worked. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to install a fresh copy of G-Max. Can it still be downloaded here at SimOH?

Hauksbee.

If you are running gmax 1.2, then download the attached UI folder.
Unzip it.

Open you Gmax folder.
Rename you UI folder to save it.

Now copy the UI folder I attached, you downloaded and unzipped, and paste it in your Gmax folder.

See if that works.

If it does not work, just replace my folder with your renamed one; rename it back to UI.

Hauksbee
September 8th, 2016, 12:54
Hauksbee. ...copy the UI folder I attached, you downloaded and unzipped, and paste it in your Gmax folder. See if that works.

IT WORKED! 'Back in business. Thanks, Milton.

Milton Shupe
September 8th, 2016, 15:40
IT WORKED! 'Back in business. Thanks, Milton.

Ah, great to hear! Thanks for the followup.

Hauksbee
September 10th, 2016, 21:58
I'm building a WWI French Caudron G.III. As I go, I apply colors from the G-Max palette which are close to the original, so that at the end, all I need do is apply rondels to the wings and a number and personal emblem to the fuselage. (this plane will only be seen at a distance.) However, when I got to the texturing part this evening, I got this weird problem: when I apply the texture, the geometry turns gray and there's no texture. (Ck. red arrow) I then drew a thin box, roughly the same size as the wing...and the texture applies just fine. What's going on with the model?
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42883&stc=1

Milton Shupe
September 11th, 2016, 05:52
I'm building a WWI French Caudron G.III. As I go, I apply colors from the G-Max palette which are close to the original, so that at the end, all I need do is apply rondels to the wings and a number and personal emblem to the fuselage. (this plane will only be seen at a distance.) However, when I got to the texturing part this evening, I got this weird problem: when I apply the texture, the geometry turns gray and there's no texture. (Ck. red arrow) I then drew a thin box, roughly the same size as the wing...and the texture applies just fine. What's going on with the model?

See the first picture in this post referring to the blue button:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?89779-UVW-Mapping-in-Gmax-tutorial-series&p=907412&viewfull=1#post907412

Hauksbee
September 11th, 2016, 11:14
See the first picture in this post referring to the blue button:
It seems the current weirdness has an added dimension that I did not explain fully. Or fully enough. On the Caudron model, all cloth-covered surfaces were assigned a canvas/tan color in the G-Max palette: both wings, the cloth bits of the fuselage nacelle and the tail surfaces. When I applied the French rondels to the upper wing, not only did the texture not appear (yes, I know about the blue button. It didn't help) but it turned the upper wing gray. The same darkish gray as the work window background. Further attempts to change this color to anything else have failed. When I applied texture to the fuselage nacelle, it simply turned the nacelle light blue. Later attempts to texture it changed it to white, but I cannot change it to anything else with the G-Max color palette. When I textured the rudder, it turned white. It resisted all attempts to change its color until a few seconds ago when I gave one last shot and restored it to the original Color Palette canvas/tan color. But none of the others. What is so strange is that I can draw a shape behind the model and the texture applies flawlessly. What could be happening with the model?

http://i65.tinypic.com/8zmdt5.jpg

hairyspin
September 11th, 2016, 11:53
...On the Caudron model, all cloth-covered surfaces were assigned a canvas/tan color in the G-Max palette: both wings, the cloth bits of the fuselage nacelle and the tail surfaces. When I applied the French rondels to the upper wing, not only did the texture not appear ...

You cannot apply the insignia to the model as you are attempting without mapping the relevant model parts. Mixing Gmax palette colours with graphics on the same object can't be done. At least, not in any way I've yet to read about. If you really don't want to map the model, make a poly to overlay the wing where the insignia is to go and map and apply the insignia texture to that.

Much better to map the model!

Allen
September 12th, 2016, 18:57
Material color with a overlayed polygon is vary old school. As hairyspin said your better off to map all of the model.

tgibson
September 13th, 2016, 08:50
And the reason why it worked with the simple shape you used as a test is mapping coordinates are automatically applied to such a shape when you apply a material. Not so with complex meshes.

You'll need to add a UVW Map modifier. I do this with the top view active for a wing (for example), then click the View Align button. To keep the bitmap proportions of the original image, also click the Bitmap Fit button and select that bitmap.

Then I add a UVW Unwrap modifier and use the Uniform Scale and Move buttons (with all vertices selected) to resize and move the bitmap into position. To keep the roundels round avoid deforming your mapping usually caused by editing only some of the vertices at one time.

Hope this helps,

Hauksbee
September 13th, 2016, 14:53
Mixing Gmax palette colors with graphics on the same object can't be done. At least, not in any way I've yet to read about.

What a disappointment! I had hoped that I could save myself some effort and avoid some mapping, which I find tedious. Well, there's nothing for it; just gonna have to knuckle down and read the tutorial again. Thanks, HairySpin.

Hauksbee
September 13th, 2016, 15:11
I thought I finally had a handle on this 'scaling business', but I guess not. I've gone to the 'Customize' menu, selected 'Customize Units', set it to 1 Unit= 1 meter. Does this not mean that 1 box on the grid = 1 meter in WOFF's world? Apparently not. I am currently sending my model from Wisconsin to Quebec where another WOFF pilot converts it to .m3d and imports it to the WOFF world. You can see the magnitude of my problem in the picture. And that's after I've re-sized the model by 50%...twice. If I can get this settled once and for all, I'll have the instructions tattooed on my wrist.

ps: After two 50% reductions, this Caudron G.3 should be sitting next to the Albatros fighters on the flight line.
http://i64.tinypic.com/nzoyts.jpg

hairyspin
September 13th, 2016, 21:34
Customize - Preferences and on the General tab you'll see the System Unit Scale. Set this to 1 unit = 1 metre and you'll be right.

What you have been working with is the viewport units which can be anything you like to suit your data or preferences, but the System Unit Scale governs the final result. If I had a pound for every time this comes up I could afford coffee at Starbucks every day. Have this tattooed on the back of any dentures: it's more discreet and almost as handy...

Hauksbee
September 17th, 2016, 09:41
Thank you much, HairySpin. (was it always just that simple?) I found a previous thread of mine covering the same ground (it was kinda embarrassing) and I didn't quite get it. Here's a pic showing progress. (Attempt #1 and #2.) My problem for today is that my work-window grid (light grey lines on Med. grey background) looks fine when I open a new doc., but when I zoom in, the colors moosh together and it's hard to count the grid blocks. How might I change the colors? (e.g., a light grey background with red grid lines?)

http://i65.tinypic.com/5d6uiv.jpg

hairyspin
September 17th, 2016, 11:10
Go to Customize - Customize User Interface and pick the Colors tab. Click the Elements drop-down box and select Grids: you can now set the Grid colour to suit.

If I understand aright, you're using the grid spacing to determine sizes of modelled objects. You can set the physical size of objects at creation, if they're primitives, and Gmax has tools to measure sizes of other objects when they're made. Look the help file for Tape objects and think how the Transform Type-In box can be used. Sooner or later you're going to zoom in closer than a grid will resolve and you'll need these tools and techniques: they're more accurate than sighting grid lines anyway.