PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this badge is?

DaveB
March 9th, 2015, 07:35
Hi Troops:wavey:

Does anyone know what the badge is on the front of this UH-1H? Zooming in, it looks like a Tigers head in the lower half. I've searched the interweb 'til I can search no more and haven't seen anything close. Not sure if the markings on the door have anything to do with it but I can't get a clear shot of that either!!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bell-UH-1H-Iroquois/2492788/L/&sid=bc6f8850037b7e884de19e5d20d92053

Airframe is ex-Argentine army, captured during the scuffle we had down south and brought back to the UK. Registered as G-HUEY.. well it would be wouldn't it:biggrin-new:

Cheers me dears;)
ATB
DaveB:)

IFlySWA
March 9th, 2015, 08:12
121st Assault Helicopter Company. Here's another pic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/78464719@N08/12192149125 Hope this helps. :biggrin-new:

Brian

DaveB
March 9th, 2015, 08:24
Cheers Brian.. it most certainly does:very_drunk:

I'm not sure why HUEY is painted up like that.. maybe a spot of film work or perhaps to give it something typical of the type. It sure looks better than it did a few years ago regardless. Thanks again;)

ATB

monk1
March 9th, 2015, 08:48
Same one? http://northwealdairfieldfunday.com/whats-on/planes/bell-uh-1h-huey/

Bell UH-1H Huey, G-HUEY

This helicopter was built in 1973 and given the serial number 73-21872. It was supplied to Argentina and given the military designation AE-413. On the 14 April 1982 it was transported to the Falkland Islands by a C130 Hercules to take part in the invasion and subsequent conflict.
After the surrender of the Argentinean forces on 14 June 1982, the helicopter was flown from a sports field in Stanley and used for transporting personnel and freight around the island and from shore to ship. The helicopter landed on various ships including HMS Fearless, the hospital ship Uganda, the troop ship Canberra and the British Rail ferry St. Edmunds.
It was then transported to the UK on the Tor Caledonia, and was damaged during the voyage. Repairs took several years to complete and in the meantime the helicopter joined the civil register as G-HUEY.
In February 2007 the helicopter flew once again. It is based at North Weald’s Hangar 4a, and is painted in US Air Cavalry markings. It will be on show with US Army re-enactors and their vehicles during the Fun Day.
On static display.

IFlySWA
March 9th, 2015, 08:49
Glad to be of help, Dave. :wavey: Yes, the paint scheme definitely is a bit of a mystery. You can see the lettering of the US Army, but then you see that triangle emblem. Strange. :dizzy:

Brian

DaveB
March 9th, 2015, 09:36
@monk1.. yup, that's the little tiddler. Didn't realise she lived at North Weald now:encouragement:

@Brian.. the markings are a bit of a mixture. I can't find anything like the Tiger's head on the door anywhere though a similar head does appear in the 121st badge as does the triangle.. http://www.vhpamuseum.org/companies/121ahc/images/Deltaavn.jpg . I doubt I'd have ever found what the badge was.. maybe the daughters Iphone would have got it or can they only translate menus?:adoration:

Thanks to you both;)
ATB

DaveB
March 9th, 2015, 14:37
Every time I look at the green, the shade changes. I HATE TFT's:banghead: Googling US Army green brings up 75-83-32 and that looks so wrong on my monitor. The green here is picked from one of the shots and at least it's green. Picking from others (that look green) show as brown when I use it!!!

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/huey1.jpg.

Any recommendations for the US Army font? The one already there is from the PK and was 'distressed' to make it look worn

ATB

Motormouse
March 10th, 2015, 02:01
Hi Troops:wavey:

Airframe is ex-Argentine army, captured during the scuffle we had down south and brought back to the UK. Registered as G-HUEY.. well it would be wouldn't it:biggrin-new:

Cheers me dears;)
ATB

Not so much captured as left behind... I was on the team here in blighty that had a minor part in restoring it and a Pucara to flight after they had come under new management..

IIRC MOD/HMGov didn't want the helicopter for er, testing, so it was transferred into ownership of one of the pilots that had used it down south, he was driving force behind it becoming G-HUEY

ttfn

Pete

DaveB
March 10th, 2015, 08:18
Hiya Pete:wavey:

I remember the Pucara coming back plus an assortment of military hardware.. AA guns e t c but I didn't know about the UH-1. Good to see it looking ship-shape and long may it continue. Most of our hardware from that era is long gone:(

ATB
Dave:)

Motormouse
March 11th, 2015, 13:43
Hiya Pete:wavey:

I remember the Pucara coming back plus an assortment of military hardware.. AA guns e t c but I didn't know about the UH-1. Good to see it looking ship-shape and long may it continue. Most of our hardware from that era is long gone:(

ATB
Dave:)

Dave ...you're making me feel old!!

The AA gun battery was used to form a whole new RAF Regiment section at the time... the Pucara job was interesting, no manuals..go figure..
and it flew!!

ttfn

Pete