PDA

View Full Version : Using The TV

DaleRFU
February 28th, 2015, 08:03
Hi all,

I have a query that I hope someone can answer for me. Can you use a TV as a monitor and if so is it better or worse?

Cheers,
Dale

Hdguy
February 28th, 2015, 08:09
Newer ones you can, especially if they are flatscreem with at least a VGA connection.. Most are suitable, although you may not be able to match the resolutions on your comp to it.

SkippyBing
February 28th, 2015, 09:22
An HD TV should be 1920x1080, which is exactly the same as an HD monitor.

HD TVs will almost definitely have an HDMI connection which most modern graphics cards will also have. Alternatively a DVI to HDMI adaptor will work if your graphics card only has DVI, the signals are identical DVI just doesn't carry audio.

Older TVs are more of a gamble. CRT generally aren't worth the hassle as they're so low res.

MarkH
February 28th, 2015, 10:06
is it better or worse?

You would need to say better or worse than what. Presumably you want to use a TV because it is bigger than your monitor. Most likely it is the same resolution (or lower resolution) than your monitor and is bigger, in which case the picture quality will not be as good. The increased size may be worth it to you but you will have to decide.

Stefano Zibell
February 28th, 2015, 10:15
It's generally not a good idea if yours is a plasma panel, because the still images will cause burn in.

If it's an LCD or LED, well, it IS a monitor.