PDA

View Full Version : Do you know your cities ??....

Javis
January 27th, 2009, 22:02
So we're stuck with FSX for the coming decennium, right ? Big deal ? I think not.

Why not take our minds off of the deplorable situation at MS and see what we've got here. Following the sad news about the demise of the Aces Studio I have read many bickerings about what now seems to be the final iteration of our beloved FS series. Is it really that bad ? I think not. I think it's the pinnacle of 20 years of PC based flight simulation development and we should be very grateful to the Aces team ( and,eventually, to MS too, yep ) and call ourselves damn lucky we've got FSX to take us thru its beautiful virtual skies for who knows how many years to come. Together with some of the amazing third party add-ons, be it freeware or commercial, be it aircraft, scenery, or environment i strongly believe it sure's up to it ! Easily !

Anyway, that said, what about putting two and two and then some together.

Here's a screenie of a city i'm exploring from above ( best place to explore cities if you ask me ), never been there for real, and first time i see it in FSX. Just saw a great docu about this city on TV. Urged me to hop into my ol' Cherokee and explore it virtually.

The point is that i thought it would be interesting to see if you guys can recognise it... :rolleyes:

The second point is that i thought it would be interesting too if you all did the same. Take a screenshot of a city you're flying over and let us decide what city it actually is you're flying over. I guess flying over New York, Chicago, Los Angeles,Miami, London, Paris, Hongkong, is of not much use in this respect but what about Boston, Memphis, Cleveland, Managua, Ankara, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin, Zürich, Odesa, Dakar, Nairobi, Myanmar, Volgograd, Shenyang, Sapporo, to name just a sideroad...

The third point is that not only we get to see how good FSX already is ( or not.... remains to be seen... ) but also get to see who are the real globetrotters around here. :)

The fourth point is that, depending on how appealing the city screenie looks, we might like to go over there and check it out ourselves.

Anyway, just my 2cents to try and break the 'FS is doomed' spell. In my book it certainly is not and i intend to go on enjoying FSX ( and FS9 ! ) for many years to come. I'd almost like to say 'S*d MS !' but i won't. Oh.... i just said it, Oh well.... :icon_twi:)

Now lets see some of those beautiful FSX cities and don't tell anyone !

To start off here's mine. Any takers ?.....

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/fsxcity.jpg

Cheers,
Jan

simkid22
January 27th, 2009, 22:09
That looks like the Shanghai World Financial Center on the right, the one with the hole in it; then the second tallest is the Jin Mao tower to the left? I guess i have to hop in the sim and fly somewhere lol...

Sean Doran
January 27th, 2009, 22:29
Yup shanghia

Javis
January 27th, 2009, 22:38
My gawd, you're good, guys ! :cool:

Wouldn't have known it myself i'm afraid..

You have won yourself the first FSX Globetrotter Award ! :applause::applause::applause:

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/gtawrd.jpg

Cheers,
Jan:ernae:

simkid22
January 27th, 2009, 23:03
I read about the World Financial Tower in either Popular Mechanics or Science, kinda hard to forget that shape. Ok my turn!

kimdahl
January 28th, 2009, 00:55
Hi Jan

Seeing this thread makes me think of another consequence of having to live with FSX (and of course FS9) for a long time to come.

Maybe I am a bit "spoiled" by the fact that I am one of the developers of the Denmark Scenery project, but please forgive me for saying this:

If a great number of you guys hop into your virtual planes and take a spin over your favourite/home cities in FSX and find that there is something missing, maybe we could start a whole new movement of addon makers, who can do something about the missing landmarks, special buildings etc. We know now that there is propably no use in waiting for the next FS version to provide us with a better scenery of these favourite cities (like FSX did for Copenhagen compared to FS9), and we know that the required techniques won't change dramatically just around the corner, so now would be a great time for starting a process of making FSX an even more amazing place to discover for all of us.

Just my little OT thoughts on the subject...

Regards
Kim

robcap
January 28th, 2009, 00:58
So we're stuck with FSX for the coming decennium, right ? Big deal ? I think not.

Why not take our minds off of the deplorable situation at MS and see what we've got here. Following the sad news about the demise of the Aces Studio I have read many bickerings about what now seems to be the final iteration of our beloved FS series. Is it really that bad ? I think not. I think it's the pinnacle of 20 years of PC based flight simulation development and we should be very grateful to the Aces team ( and,eventually, to MS too, yep ) and call ourselves damn lucky we've got FSX to take us thru its beautiful virtual skies for who knows how many years to come. Together with some of the amazing third party add-ons, be it freeware or commercial, be it aircraft, scenery, or environment i strongly believe it sure's up to it ! Easily ! Cheers, Jan
I couldn't agree more:friday:

R.

stansdds
January 28th, 2009, 02:02
My biggest gripe about FSX is that it doesn't have as much payware or freeware add-ons as FS9. I'm hoping that will soon begin to change.

Cazzie
January 28th, 2009, 02:09
The spiral building with the hole gives it away first thing, Shanghai fer sure.

Nice screen.

Caz

Bjoern
January 28th, 2009, 03:29
If a great number of you guys hop into your virtual planes and take a spin over your favourite/home cities in FSX and find that there is something missing, maybe we could start a whole new movement of addon makers, who can do something about the missing landmarks, special buildings etc. We know now that there is propably no use in waiting for the next FS version to provide us with a better scenery of these favourite cities (like FSX did for Copenhagen compared to FS9), and we know that the required techniques won't change dramatically just around the corner, so now would be a great time for starting a process of making FSX an even more amazing place to discover for all of us.

There's a lot of truth to that.

Gentlemen, get your SDKs ready! We've got the time and we *will* change the world (well, FSX's for now)! :d

harleyman
January 28th, 2009, 04:10
Great idea Javis......Nice shot too........:applause:

But...Don't they fly better wheels up....LOL :wave:

jdhaenens
January 28th, 2009, 04:16
BTW, kind of like the stratosphere in Las Vegas, I haven't made it through the hole without hitting a crashbox. I don't think they're properly positioned.:whistle:

Dangerousdave26
January 28th, 2009, 04:25
Is it really that bad ? I think not.

I agree that has been my point. ***Clarification the lose of the sim not the lose of ACES***

I read about the World Financial Tower in either Popular Mechanics or Science, kinda hard to forget that shape. OK my turn!

Good Shot and very vague

I don't have a clue.

This could be The Great Mystery City Thread that goes on and on. :friday:

raven22
January 28th, 2009, 06:24
Simkid22, I would say that,s Singapore :wiggle:

simkid22
January 28th, 2009, 14:34
Nice job raven22! :woot: I was going through the '08 season of F1 and wanted to see how good the area around the race course was, sadly its not that detailed.

grunau_baby
January 28th, 2009, 21:21
In FSX I really enjoy just flying the default world at the moment, but in contrast to my FS9 install I really miss all the great amount of detailed (accurate) places to fly. I still enjoy ols fs9 Germany West with it´s landmarks and auogen-scenery over any photoreal-low-autogen-vfr-west in FSX. The addon stuff for FSX looks amazing, but still I think i looks "unique/out off lace somehow in the overall (barren) FSX default world. I - for myself - am indeed going for my own scenery design from now on. Unfortunately still stuck in some incomprehensive tutorials and there´s a lot to learn still. But with more time for FSX coming there´s a good hance to create my own places as detailed as I want them...hopefully.

Alex

Javis
January 29th, 2009, 16:28
@ Kim : Agreed! Long time no talk. Good to see you're still around. You should've added a piccie of Copenhagen. Too late now.... :)

@ Rob : still have some of that beer left from your last visit. :friday: I'll see you at next Lelystad ( got my new car.... :) )

@ Harleyman : if you show me the gear handle in a Cherokee it will sure do ! :d

@ Stansdds : you bet it will !

@ Raven22 : your FSX Globetrotter award is on its way. Great job ! :applause:

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/gtawrd.jpg

I'll give it one more shot to get this thing going. If it fails i gave it atleast two shots. :costum:

If needed there's a good clue if you look closely :

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/whatsthis.jpg

CG_1976
January 29th, 2009, 16:38
Hum, Aukland, NZ?

fliger747
January 29th, 2009, 16:45
Shanghai from the Pudong side. My Chinese friend is assistant to the president of the engineering firm that did all the steel design work for the tallest (beer bottle opener) building. Actually a very interesting city to explore at ground (or below) level.

Heading over there in a couple of weeks.

T.

CBris
January 29th, 2009, 22:40
Christchurch NZ

kimdahl
January 30th, 2009, 00:48
Hi Jan

Have a look here, if you want a few Copenhagen pictures:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8409

Regards
Kim