PDA

View Full Version : Question on Paint Site

BananaBob
October 6th, 2008, 14:08
I was thinking of opening my own site for paints, hosting them, forums showing WIP shots and for taking requests and gathering high quality photos for photoreal work.

I've never set up a website and have no knowledge in this area, is it difficult?, any free hosts or free software?

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 14:18
Free hosts come with tons of popups you can't control...Sites are pretty cheap at first..Till you grow hugh and need more and more bandwidth....

Godaddy sells domain names for real cheap...

They are easy to set up..My wife loves to do websites....

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 14:20
Have a look....http://www.homestead.com/?s_cid=G27801

BananaBob
October 6th, 2008, 14:52
Cool, will have to look into that Homestead site, thanks! :ernae:

GeorgeM
October 6th, 2008, 14:54
Not free, but these guys offer unlimited storage and bandwidth at a reasonable price:

http://www.hostmonster.com/

The problem with any of the cheap hosting sites is that your site will be on a server with a bunch of other sites, so site speed will be a bit of a crapshoot.

I'm no expert, but I have some experience with this stuff (and I have a site with them). I'd be happy to help on any way I can.

Overshoe
October 6th, 2008, 16:13
Bob, I recommend PowWeb: http://www.powweb.com

BananaBob
October 6th, 2008, 16:34
Thanks, some cheap prices too. :ernae:

kilo delta
October 6th, 2008, 16:39
Why not a BananaBob forum section on SOH? :kilroy::ernae:

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 17:17
I agree...Any man with an avatar like that deservs his own...........Oh yea...he also does killer work......:d:applause:

BananaBob
October 6th, 2008, 17:34
Well, I want my own site because I've set myself a goal, something I haven't done in a long time and I want to add a "Donate" sign there for requests, if good photo material is available of course. Donations won't be obligatory, if you like the requested paint job, you have an extra dollar or two, donate, if you're not doing well, like a lot of us, a thanks will always be payment enough. I'm also interested in building a repository for photo material for use in paints. :ernae:

Marlin
October 6th, 2008, 17:38
Good luck Bob, not that you need it or anything!!! :applause:

I wish I could help you out, but alas, I just figured out how to turn on my computer:icon_lol:

harleyman
October 6th, 2008, 17:43
That actually sounds like a great plan.....A place to collect all that artwork and get a special request too...:ernae: And hopefully for you to earn some fun money and keep the bill paid......

I'll need an standing order for black and orange on everything......

Actualy I do have one that I would really like done...But I'll hold off till you set up shop...I need the plane too..........I'll hunt some pics in the meantime.........

BananaBob
October 6th, 2008, 17:56
Yeah, I can build one and turn it on but if it doesn't come on, I'm going to be busy for a long time, LOL :costumes:

Sean Doran
October 6th, 2008, 18:11
If you get a domain name, I have a reseller account and can give you free space and control over your own site. I used to keep my own repaint site but it turned into to much updating for just my stuff.

BananaBob
October 6th, 2008, 18:39
If you get a domain name, I have a reseller account and can give you free space and control over your own site. I used to keep my own repaint site but it turned into to much updating for just my stuff.

Thanks Sean, I'll have to look into a domain name. :ernae:

Henry
October 7th, 2008, 05:22
for domains i go here
http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-name-registration/index.jsp?siteid=246&channelid=P13C246S570N0B9A1D0E0000V116
H

CBris
October 7th, 2008, 07:48
Well, I want my own site because I've set myself a goal, something I haven't done in a long time and I want to add a "Donate" sign there for requests, if good photo material is available of course. Donations won't be obligatory, if you like the requested paint job, you have an extra dollar or two, donate, if you're not doing well, like a lot of us, a thanks will always be payment enough. I'm also interested in building a repository for photo material for use in paints. :ernae:

Bob, check me out - www.eagleskinner.com

I felt like you and went my own way. But in the end, I still host all my skins on Avsim - More people find you there.

According to my traffic stats, very few folk download from my site. I know - I don't exactly make it easy and the site is still buggy after all this time. Damn, I just can't find the time to get round to updating the site itself. I keep getting too many paint 'orders' and there's no time left to keep the site clean.

Are you UK based? My hosting is via Webfusion. Reasonably priced.

Web software - they do have some tools, as do most providers, but I have Macromedia Dreamweaver. Had it since 1998 ish. It's great! Far better than MS Frontpage, but also more expensive.

UKMIL
October 7th, 2008, 08:05
Bob

we host our site on our own server, and can offer you some space on their if you wish, along with a working relationship with UKMIL:ernae:

BananaBob
October 7th, 2008, 09:33
Thanks Henry and Chris and that sounds interesting UKMIL!

BananaBob
October 7th, 2008, 13:17
Ok, thanks all for the help, there is a plan set in motion and if/when it comes to fruition, I think you'll like it. :ernae:

harleyman
October 7th, 2008, 13:21
:applause::applause::ernae::wavey:

CBris
October 7th, 2008, 21:15
Grand stuff and welcome to the world of owning your own "territory"

Lionheart
March 2nd, 2009, 05:07
Hey Bob,

I use Yahoo Business for my website. They have a basic free version, and you can upgrade when you want to start doing business on it. My website, Lionheart Creations is a yahoo small business site.

Now, their prices are not good, but they have one single thing that really helps. They have this thing called 'SiteBuilder' that is the most basic, most easy, most awesome little program for making a webpage and website. Basically its all drag and drop and it does all the code. You never see code, ever.. Just hit save, and publish to site, and Voila.. Webpages.. I can post pics on my website in like 1 min.

The thing I am getting at is, there are lots of great site providers out there, but the hurtle that I had was software. Finding Sitebuilder was a real blessing. Alot of people use programs like FrontPage and some others. There is a cool one called iWeb 09, but alas, its for Mac OSX. It would be nice if they came out with a Suite for Windows. Amazingly simple software and they have cool 'gallery' software with 'slideshow'.

Dreamweaver is also a good one, but I have only heard that per say. Never tried it.

Looking forward to seeing your website! Should be awesome....

Bill

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 05:42
Has anyone seen or heard from Bob after Christmas...This post is from back then ..I have not seen him in quite a while..

I hope all is well with him...:engel016:

Cazzie
March 2nd, 2009, 06:27
Same here Chris, back in the day when I was putting out plastic at 2 per month, I had a website of my own, but updating the darn thing was taking far too much of my free time in all my modeling and other endeavors, so after 3 years, I dropped it. Much happy letting savvy people that know all about maintaining a web do that. Now, I just contribute and donate some $$ to site I like.

Caz