PDA

View Full Version : Nemeth Designs CH-53E

ejoiner
February 21st, 2015, 17:09
So, after being inspired by Yoyos great screenshots, I purchased this bird. I have for a long time enjoyed the virtavia CH-53A and the MH-53J Pavelow. The CH-53E though looked great. What I found was that despite it being an old design with a few patches, the latest download from ND was not patched to current state. I still had to install 3 patches to make it fly. I also found a couple of errors in the panel cfg that needed fixing to make all the windows pop up correctly.

So now, I think I have her flyable. I love the heavy helos. Anyway, now where can I find some really good repaints?

E

dougal
February 21st, 2015, 18:27
So, after being inspired by Yoyos great screenshots, I purchased this bird. I have for a long time enjoyed the virtavia CH-53A and the MH-53J Pavelow. The CH-53E though looked great. What I found was that despite it being an old design with a few patches, the latest download from ND was not patched to current state. I still had to install 3 patches to make it fly. I also found a couple of errors in the panel cfg that needed fixing to make all the windows pop up correctly.

So now, I think I have her flyable. I love the heavy helos. Anyway, now where can I find some really good repaints?

E

And CAN it be started by a default turn of the key? I wish;) I,d buy it then. Or is there way to exit flight with turbines still spinning for next flight?

ejoiner
February 21st, 2015, 19:06
And CAN it be started by a default turn of the key? I wish;) I,d buy it then. Or is there way to exit flight with turbines still spinning for next flight?

The default download I purchased did not have an autostart button, however after I installed the 3 patches, one magically appeared as mentioned on the ND web forums. It does work, though I found you still need to turn on the APU and one or two other little things, but it does work. I've literally only been fooling around with this particular aircraft for a day or so, I am no expert.

YoYo
February 21st, 2015, 22:53
Forget about this "magic button" - for me it dosent work too. What is strange, if the engines are running and You push it - You will receive shut down.
I have the same version - old exe file + this 3 patches. Startup is ok, just it needs some of practice. If You want I can do small tutorial.

dougal
February 22nd, 2015, 00:25
Forget about this "magic button" - for me it dosent work too. What is strange, if the engines are running and You push it - You will receive shut down.
I have the same version - old exe file + this 3 patches. Startup is ok, just it needs some of practice. If You want I can do small tutorial.

Although i've still not splashed out for this, i expect i shall, so yes, a little tutorial would be splendid. Hopefully, ready just in time for my purchase.

Presumably, buying it now wouldn't involve 3 patches? I would hope there's an updated exe file to download, though i know it isn't always the case.

DaveB
February 22nd, 2015, 00:49
IF you buy it from Nemeth.. it should be patched already. From other vendors.. who knows.

There are quick-start tutorials on YouTube for the CH-53E though YoYo's will probably be better;) If you have problems with it, you're just as well asking your questions here as the Nemeth forums have been floundering.. ghost like since Christmas. Note also that if you find something broken.. it will almost certainly remain that way. The 53E is an old model and Nemeth have 'moved on'.. bless them!

ATB
DaveB:)

YoYo
February 22nd, 2015, 09:06
I hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/5zcx_ipGBlE

DaveB
February 22nd, 2015, 09:15
Nice vid (as usual) YoYo:encouragement:

I've gotta say though, even allowing for the double starts on 3 and 1.. it's not a very quick 'quick start'.

ATB

ejoiner
February 22nd, 2015, 15:27
Thanks Yoyo.

Heres what I found with this bird (purchased new in the past few days.)

1. You need to patch it. There are 3 patches and despite the fact that the helo dates back to 2011, it still needs to be patched.

2. Once patched, you do get an autostart button on panel 3, but you still need to tweak a couple buttons to fire it up. (much easier though). Standard start procedure takes 36 mouse clicks. I prefer to be up and flying sooner than that unless Im in a 747 practicing systems training.

3. Start up issues appear to be common with ND aircraft based on their support forums.

4. Once patched, the navcom computer is not present in the panel config. You need to go to panel.1 folder (a panel version that has the default GPS in place of the MFD), and copy window 5 to the panel cfg for the standard panel folder. No big, but its a quality control issue to me.

5. Once flying, there are a very limited number of views available hitting [S]. Sub views hitting [A] renders few more if any. The virtavia CH-53A has more and better views.

6. The model radius needs correction because the default outside view radius is 39 meters. I used raditor to correct it to 20 meters. There are multiple models, so you need to do them all.

7. It comes with both crewed and uncrewed versions (in case you dont like the virtual guy in the left seat.) Thats good. However, going back to views, I'd like to be able to switch chairs. Cant do it with the limited current views.

8. Its a very nice model. If you are into heavy helos like I am, then this is a nice one. However, the effort to getting going has been a journey of discovery I find irritating with payware.

9. given the age of this aircraft, I am a bit surprised I didnt find more and better quality repaints. Especially since this product comes with a pretty nice paint kit.

DaveB
February 23rd, 2015, 08:28
Thanks for posting your findings on the 'E' Eric:encouragement:

Like you, I also have the Virtavia 53-A and I fly the darned thing so rarely that buying the 'E' was never going to happen. That said.. I've had the Virtavia Chinook for ages and have been very happy with it.. never had any intention of buying the Milviz/Nemeth CH47. Pulled it from one of the recent Milviz sales and now, it's the only one I use!!

Quality control has always been an issue at Nemeth. Can you imagine anything getting through to release with the nav lights the wrong way round?? This happened with the Super Puma and to this day, it may not have been fixed. I fixed it myself using Notepad++. Their latest model.. the BK117 has a page full of issues as you'll have seen.. many being reported from as long ago as December when it was released. Nothing has been done about any of these yet. Some peasants are starting to revolt over there!!

I must be a glutton for punishment though.. I have them all except the 53E. Think I'll save my pennies for the MV 530 instead.. even though I'm not a huge fan of the 530.

EDIT: BTW.. I mention the MV/ND CH47. The formation lights switch doesn't work on that.. they're always on unless you turn all the outside lights off. This is another 'known' issue not fixed!!
ATB

YoYo
February 23rd, 2015, 09:00
Btw.

If You want to have default GPS, not this G1000 as 2D panel change this in panel cfg and in panel 1 too:

[Window04]
size_mm=456,378
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL
zorder=4

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

//file_1024=2dpanel_gps.bmp
//size_mm=1024
//windowsize_ratio=0.700
//position=0
//visible=0
//no_luminous=1
//ident=GPS_PANEL

//gauge00=G1000!g1000_pfd, 0, 0, 610, 384

Camo skin:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/CH-53E%20Super%20Stallion/CH-53EStallion_18_zps17de1442.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/CH-53E%20Super%20Stallion/CH-53EStallion_19_zps7048a484.jpg~original

ejoiner
February 23rd, 2015, 10:35
Yoyo, that Marine camo looks great. Where did you get that? I also like the 3rd party German HEER green scheme, though wish it had less "chipped paint" which is a bit over done IMHO.

YoYo
February 23rd, 2015, 14:12
This skin is interesting too:

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/CH-53E%20Super%20Stallion/CH-53EStallion_20_zps4b18dd91.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/CH-53E%20Super%20Stallion/CH-53EStallion_21_zpse837d7f8.jpg~original

ST0RM
February 23rd, 2015, 14:26
Something that bugged me about this -53 and the Virtavia -53s, is the ramp. It is only in the loading position instead of allowing for a mid way posit. The Pavelow flew with it horizontal for the gunner and the Marines have adopted that as well for their tail gunners. Even the Army in their Chinooks fly that way, but designers seem to miss that.

Jeff

whiteside
February 24th, 2015, 08:53
Where do you find the patches? Just purchased this add on.
Thanks.
I did not find them on Nemeth website

dougal
February 24th, 2015, 09:01
Thanks.

They ARE on the site. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on this, as I'm still not convinced I'm up to the start procedure. I have seen the patches there though

DaveB
February 24th, 2015, 09:40
Yup.. they're on the DOWNLOADS page.;)

ATB

YoYo
February 24th, 2015, 10:30
Thanks.

Links are here: http://www.nemethdesigns.com/downloads/15-sikorsky-ch-53e-super-stallion-fsx-patches-sound-patch.html .

whiteside
February 24th, 2015, 15:19
Do I need to patch it if I just purchased from FS Pilot shop?

whiteside
February 24th, 2015, 15:55
Patched thanks!
Where is the button to quickstart?

YoYo
February 24th, 2015, 21:39
Do I need to patch it if I just purchased from FS Pilot shop?

I think Yes, only in Nemeth store is current version. Quck Start is on 2D panel but for me is buggy. Check start up video.

dougal
February 25th, 2015, 08:13
Patched thanks!
Where is the button to quickstart?

Me thinks you haven't been reading the thread? Don't think there is one.

ejoiner
February 25th, 2015, 11:14
Me thinks you haven't been reading the thread? Don't think there is one.

If you have done the 3 patches, there is a big yellow and red striped box on the upper left of panel 3.

YoYo
February 25th, 2015, 13:55
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/CH-53E%20Super%20Stallion/CH-53E%20Stallion_22_zpskfdpsswv.jpg~original

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/CH-53E%20Super%20Stallion/CH-53E%20Stallion_23_zpsn58nzrzm.jpg~original

Yoyo, that Marine camo looks great. Where did you get that?

@ejoiner. This 3 skins (camo, desert, grey) I found in Hovecontrol in the deep search ; ) (author Garett Schmidt). Not many skins for Stallion, agree - pity.

Just I changes datas in aircraft.cfg (it looks like it was created before this 3 patches + new sound pack for CH53E and some problems in VC).

This is my modifications (works ok now):

[fltsim.6]
title=Super Stallion Camo HMLA-467
sim=ch-53e
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=46722
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=
ui_manufacturer="Sikorsky"
ui_type="CH-53E"
ui_variation="HMLA-467 22"
ui_typerole="Rotorcraft"
ui_createdby="Nemeth Designs"
description="Repaint of the CH-53E in brown, black, grey camo based on real world unit. Textures by Garett Schmidt.

[fltsim.7]
title=Super Stallion Grey HMH466
sim=ch-53e
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=46665
kb_checklists=MH-53_Checklist
kb_reference=
atc_id=
ui_type="CH-53E"
ui_variation="HMH466-65"
ui_typerole="Rotorcraft"
description="Repaint of the CH-53E, based on the camo "Naked Lady" #65 from the Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 466 in San Diego, CA. Textures by Garett Schmidt.

[fltsim.8]
title=Super Stallion Grey HMH465
sim=ch-53e
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=46531
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=
ui_type="CH-53E"
ui_variation="HMH465-31"
ui_typerole="Rotorcraft"
description="Repaint of the CH-53E, based on "Warhorse" Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 465 in San Diego, CA. Textures by Garett Schmidt.

ejoiner
February 25th, 2015, 19:24
@ejoiner. This 3 skins (camo, desert, grey) I found in Hovecontrol in the deep search ; ) (author Garett Schmidt). Not many skins for Stallion, agree - pity.

Just I changes datas in aircraft.cfg (it looks like it was created before this 3 patches + new sound pack for CH53E and some problems in VC).

This is my modifications (works ok now):

[fltsim.6]
title=Super Stallion Camo HMLA-467
sim=ch-53e
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=46722
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=
ui_type="CH-53E"
ui_variation="HMLA-467 22"
ui_typerole="Rotorcraft"
description="Repaint of the CH-53E in brown, black, grey camo based on real world unit. Textures by Garett Schmidt.

[fltsim.7]
title=Super Stallion Grey HMH466
sim=ch-53e
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=46665
kb_checklists=MH-53_Checklist
kb_reference=
atc_id=
ui_type="CH-53E"
ui_variation="HMH466-65"
ui_typerole="Rotorcraft"
description="Repaint of the CH-53E, based on the camo "Naked Lady" #65 from the Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 466 in San Diego, CA. Textures by Garett Schmidt.

[fltsim.8]
title=Super Stallion Grey HMH465
sim=ch-53e
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=46531
kb_checklists=
kb_reference=
atc_id=
ui_type="CH-53E"
ui_variation="HMH465-31"
ui_typerole="Rotorcraft"
description="Repaint of the CH-53E, based on "Warhorse" Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 465 in San Diego, CA. Textures by Garett Schmidt.

My only complaint about those skins is the author overdid the chipped paint effect. If he increases transparency by 50% on that layer, it looks great. Right now its too much over done in my personal opinion. Otherwise very good!

YoYo
February 25th, 2015, 22:18
Any idea how to solve it?

Something is wrong with this model with default ZOOM. In menu and in the sim.

The object is very small (something like Cessna 150-K Ti Bush http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88844-A-new-Cessna-150-K-Ti-Bush-is-released-on-French-VFR):

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Various/th_Nowy-3_zpsgtklctuu.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/rafikst/media/Various/Nowy-3_zpsgtklctuu.jpg.html)

You can zoom in this picture.

ejoiner
February 26th, 2015, 10:23
Any idea how to solve it?

Something is wrong with this model with default ZOOM. In menu and in the sim.

The object is very small (something like Cessna 150-K Ti Bush http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88844-A-new-Cessna-150-K-Ti-Bush-is-released-on-French-VFR):

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad52/rafikst/Various/th_Nowy-3_zpsgtklctuu.jpg (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/rafikst/media/Various/Nowy-3_zpsgtklctuu.jpg.html)

You can zoom in this picture.

Yup. its called the default view radius assigned to the model. In this case, the default view is 39 meters away from the fuselage, so it looks far away. Use a 3rd party tool called Raditor to change the radius. I changed mine to 20 meters and its much better. This is a very simple conversion. Just remember there are 3 models in the CH53E package. you need to do them all. Which is a total of 5 minutes work.

Victory103
February 26th, 2015, 10:51
Thanks guys for taking the time to fix this beast. I guess I missed the patches years ago, as a rotor head wanted everything to work, it didn't so stopped flying and moved on. Back on the FSX flight line.

Ripcord
October 22nd, 2016, 09:10
Digging up an old thread here, but I didn't find a newer/better one.

Wanted to just confirm once again the installation file from Nemeth Designs site is NOT patched. This is correct?

Eric, what tweaks/adjustments did you make to get the panels sorted out? Mine are all jacked up.

EDIT: I can now confirm that the patches DO have be added, even for the download file direct from ND on their webstore. And I have the panels shorted out, but what happened to those great views I had inside the cockpit? They went away after applying the patch.

Ripcord
October 22nd, 2016, 10:41
OK found the missing views. They got 'removed' by one of the patches, apparently.

Just past them back into your aircraft.cfg and you are all set

[CameraDefinition.2]
Title = "Ovh_pilot"
Guid = {41836d78-9d71-48bf-afe5-1cf2fb9aac24}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = None
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.5
SmoothZoomTime = 1.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=90
HeadingPanRate=90
InitialXyz=-0.35,-0.3,0.0
InitialPbh=-68, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.3]
Title = "Ovh_mid"
Guid = {d1e72d6e-a926-4dde-bce4-7d5629500b23}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = None
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.40
SmoothZoomTime = 1.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=90
HeadingPanRate=90
InitialXyz=-0.80,-0.4,0.0
InitialPbh=-77, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.4]
Title = "Ovh_copilot"
Guid = {38d54341-0acd-4615-a621-8a0c99ce9141}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = None
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.5
SmoothZoomTime = 1.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=90
HeadingPanRate=90
InitialXyz=-1.3,-0.3,0.0
InitialPbh=-68, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.5]
Title = "Mid"
Guid = {9253c506-cbd5-4d6d-a20b-605c068b632f}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = None
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.6
SmoothZoomTime = 1.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=20
InitialXyz=-0.85,-0.3,0.0
InitialPbh=17, 0, 0

[CameraDefinition.6]
Title = "center"
Guid = {030932f3-b0c4-494b-91da-b603a2976031}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = None
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.7
SmoothZoomTime = 1.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=20
HeadingPanRate=20
InitialXyz=-0.85,0.0,0.0
InitialPbh=57, 0, 0

delta_lima
April 9th, 2021, 21:13
Bit late to the party, but getting a helo itch! :)

Was surprised to find out how nice this helicopter is - thank goodness for the auto start button!

Can someone point me to where the repaint pack on the Nemeth site is? I can't find anything on their site, other than 4 repaints on the flyawaysim site. 2 German, 1 Austrian, 1 US Army paint, but not the USMC paint in YoYo's screens.

thanks,

dl

paul day
April 9th, 2021, 23:38
Just google P
ierre lheureux. there lots of repaints including on this site. There are also a couple of extras I have like camera views, autosmoke, shockwave lights, HUD, and updated AIR files. If you want anything drop me a text with an email address.

Regards Paul Day.

WarHorse47
April 10th, 2021, 06:36
Bit late to the party, but getting a helo itch! :)

Was surprised to find out how nice this helicopter is - thank goodness for the auto start button!

Can someone point me to where the repaint pack on the Nemeth site is? I can't find anything on their site, other than 4 repaints on the flyawaysim site. 2 German, 1 Austrian, 1 US Army paint, but not the USMC paint in YoYo's screens.

thanks,

dlAuto start button?? Where's that?? I've been starting it the hard way all this time. :sentimental:

delta_lima
April 10th, 2021, 08:25
Just google P
ierre lheureux. there lots of repaints including on this site. There are also a couple of extras I have like camera views, autosmoke, shockwave lights, HUD, and updated AIR files. If you want anything drop me a text with an email address.

Regards Paul Day.
Thanks Paul

I found Pierres paint pack but it’s got mostly German schemes, not the tan USMC paint.

No matter, though, as I’m more curious to improve the flight model, and those air etc fixes sound like more important.

PM incoming. Many kind thanks.

DL

WH: on one of the 2d panels, I think shift 2 or 3, can’t recall at the moment. Top left, bright yellow outlined box. Note, I’m using the version that comes OEM with P3Dv4, so am not sure if other/earlier versions came with it. I’m brand new to the model, so others may know the version nuances better.

I prefer the C&D approach, but even following YoYo’s bid, the starters won’t work. Everything else does .... odd. Anyway. Hope that helps.

paul day
April 11th, 2021, 00:28
If you want a tan Marines repaint go to Avsim and search "hmh46665.zip" or Garett Schmidt.

Regards Paul Day.

delta_lima
April 11th, 2021, 22:33
If you want a tan Marines repaint go to Avsim and search "hmh46665.zip" or Garett Schmidt.

Regards Paul Day.

Thanks Paul. Found a couple that will work if his. PMed you re the fixes.

Many thanks.

DL