PDA

View Full Version : So here's the thing..

warchild
February 18th, 2015, 12:48
When we're talking with people about X-Plane or FSX or even DCS, they may be adults, but really we're talking too the kid part of them. Even I'm a kid when itm comes too this stuff.. I may communicate differently than a kid would: use different phraseology, and temper my responces, but deep inside, we're all five and ten year olds having great times with our favorite toys. Those toys become our box and anything outside that box is percieved as a threat for any of several thousand reasons, and is unceremoniously rejected with great fanfare. Sometimes i feel like a parent trying to get a kid to try a new candy bar.. Who would ever think that the kid could be so adamant that hersheys plain was the only real candy bar and snickers wasnt?? They both taste great, though youve got too have teeth for that snickers bar.
So how do you accomplish this?? How do you convince a kid to try a snickers bar. How do you convince them its not some ancient alien trying to sneak space germs into your body to pervert you and change you into some kind of monster?? Because thats exactly what we're up against whether people realize it or not.. X-Plane is a good sim. Its a really good sim. It deserves critical examination, I'm not saying its the best. "The Best" is a subjective term. We all have what we think is best, and its different for every single person out there.
P3D is going Pro. This is good. it means that finally after all these decades we have a microsoft based product that is certifiable by the FAA. I like that, and at 150 dollars a pop for their pro line aircraft PMDG likes it too.. The greed grab in P3D 64 bit is what worries me. We've got totally systems accurate models from the 727 too the crj-200 all over the place in X-Plane, and they're only fifty bucks.. You would think the adult side of people would see the difference right there..
My Biggest issue with X-Plane, is the forums. Every time i turn around theres some real world pilot or engineer talking about something and making me feel stupid as hell because they know more than me ( and thats saying a lot because I certainly know more than your average simian )
FSX is dying. Its not dead yet, but with the exception of those who will always hang onto it its dead. Its nearly a decade old. Lockheed will have too rewrite the entire ESP program to not only make it 64 bit but FAA certifiable. X-Plane started with professional pilot cirtification and expanded into the entertainment marked by locking some of the pro features.
I just dont get it..

txnetcop
February 18th, 2015, 14:11
I hear ya Pam, actually none of simulator talk really gets to me. If I had the money to improve my system I would acquire P3d 2.5 as well but I fly FSX mainly and X-Plane 10 more and more. I've learned to appreciate the subtleties of each that make them enjoyable. I am perplexed by the child-like behavior of those who have to push one sim over another...the version we get is nothing like the PRO version and even that cannot capture the feel and physical 3D immersion of real flying. I know, because I did it for 18 years in various GA aircraft.

I used to get flight time here when a friend of mine ran the system for the 727! http://www.manta.com/c/mmfh57k/boeing-training-and-flight-services-llc This was a full motion simulator...WOW!

warchild
February 18th, 2015, 14:27
to say i'm envious of your time in a real simulator would be a glaring understatement. That would be so awesome its not funny.. On the other hand, i never was the smartest kid on the bliock and the 727 not having easy too use guidance and navigation would be way more than i could handle. Hell, a cessna would be more.. I've just never been capable of absorbing what i need to use vor's and direction finding..

TuFun
March 2nd, 2015, 19:34
The loyalty to ones favorite sim is strong, and that amount of investment involved to is a factor. For me I think I would keep FSX/P3Dv2.5 as they work very well with my ATI 5850 1 GB card, AMD computer and the investment is already there. The last addon I bought was the Christmas sale of FTX Global to use with P3Dv2. No plans on further purchases. Seems a waste since I seemed to fly freeware stuff only. When I finally do upgrade, I will add X-Plane 11/12? to the list of sims.:adoration: All I can say is good times are ahead for us simming crazies! :biggrin-new:

TuFun
March 4th, 2015, 17:54
Ok now that I see that PMDG DC6 on the horizon, my plans just might change! :adoration: Will be interesting to see this aircraft flown in all three sims and videos to follow.

warchild
March 5th, 2015, 10:26
Ok now that I see that PMDG DC6 on the horizon, my plans just might change! :adoration: Will be interesting to see this aircraft flown in all three sims and videos to follow.
We shall see.. Dont think ive ever really forgiven them for butchering the flight model on the MD-11, but, like i said, we'll see..